March 2014 Moms

You had surgery on your vag because your LO's head was huge? Come in please!!!!!

Really though- I have questions!!! I have to have posterior vaginal repair surgery a month from today due to a 3rd degree tear from birth that never healed. I was wondering if anyone else has had to have this done, this baby or previous? I have a few questions if so- I of course am discussing all worries, questions, concerns with LO's pediatrician and my doctor as well- I just wanted advice from anyone else who has gone through the same thing :)

1- I am wondering how long you took off work and how the recovery went? I plan on taking 2, maybe 3 weeks off but am going to start working from home 4 days after. I am a Controller (accountant) and sit at a desk pretty much all day. DS will go to DC like normal while I am at home unless I feel up to keeping him home for the day.

2- I EBF when with DS and I have to stay one night at the hospital. DH and DS are going to spend the night with me. I am overly stressed about DS being at the hospital that day and night as we have to be at the hospital at 5 am! He was going to go to DC like normal, but we just found out that ONE day they have in house training and aren't open.  My Mom and DH will be able to help with him and take him home if necessary (only 20 minutes from the hospital). We are going to bring my wrap so my Mom can wear him and lots of toys to entertain him. I think we are just going to play it by ear, but any suggestions would be great!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: You had surgery on your vag because your LO's head was huge? Come in please!!!!!

• edited July 2014

@babycaps Thank you very much- I appreciate it :)

@FarmBoysWife I bed share and from previous posts I know that you do as well, so I was wondering if you have ever bed share somewhere outside your typical bed and if LO slept well there too? I know a hospital is going to be a major difference as the nurses will be coming in to check me every few hours. I am going to bring a boppy and see if I can nurse DS/he can sleep that way since I don't think I will be wanting to move around a lot in bed. Do you have any suggestions/advice by chance? Maybe how did you nurse/sleep when you were in the hospital after giving birth? I didn't start bed sharing until DS was 2 months old.

ETA: I apologize if you don't nurse, that was an assumption- sorry!  :\"> 

• @FarmBoysWife Thank you for your insight. I am hoping that the nurses don't wake DS or myself- I don't plan on waking up for them unless its necessary :) I will have to wait and see about the narcotics, but I am hoping I can avoid them but it may be necessary as I have the same assumptions about the discomfort/pain. I am figuring we will just have to play it by ear and find what is comfortable and safe for DS and I both that night. I think I am just overly worried/analyzing it, but I really appreciate your thoughts- it makes me feel less antsy!   ;)

• Loading the player...
  • I bed share and I have bed shared in other beds too. I'm a first time mum but been away for two weddings (three nights total) and been fine!! She hated the rooms as it was different from home, but she settled best at night as she was next to me as normal.

We no longer bed share as of two weeks ago - god bless ranitidine!! I'm not a bed sharing fan, but needs must! We adapted and she was great wherever so I really hope you and your little one will be too :)

Best of luck for the surgery - I hope you are soooooo much more comfortable after it! It should help especially if you started to heal off before, this time it should be right :)
  • @jsmath I appreciate the well wishes, thanks! :)

@Khope87 I am glad to hear that your LO did well in another setting while bed sharing and I am hoping my LO will do the same- it gives me some reassurance! I am also looking forward to healing correctly this time, I imagine I will be much more comfortable afterwards and it will all be worth it in the end :)

• I would check and make sure you are allowed to keep LO in the hospital overnight. I'm a nurse (L&D, ante-partum and post-partum, NICU) and we are not able to have children stay over night with their mom past the post-partum stage, even if there is another 'responsible adult' present. It's a liability issue in the case of a fire or evacuation scenario.
    Plus if you are going to be under a general anaesthetic for the procedure, or be on significant pain meds afterwards I'd reconsider bed-sharing during your recovery time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Jenstwins and @babycaps I did call the hospital yesterday and they can make accommodations for both DH and DS to stay overnight since I will be in the Women's Health unit. However, they did make it clear that DH has to be with the baby at all times and has to take LO with him if he leaves the room at all for liability reasons, which I understand completely. My surgery is at 7 am and so I am hoping by the time I go to bed that night IF I am not on any heavy pain meds I was going to consider it.  I understand there is a good possibility I may not feel 100% in which case we would figure out something else for DS sleeping and just have DH bring him to me to nurse when needed. I didn't sleep well in the hospital after I gave birth, so I imagine I won't sleep much that night anyway because I will so worried about DS, but this time I will have anesthesia, so I know that may make a difference as well.

@FarmBoysWife Did you have any problems/did anyone say anything to you since you bed shared in the hospital after birth? Sorry for allthequestions!!!

• DiMamaDiMama member
    Fwiw I tried to bedshare both times I was in the hospital (a week later with a uterine infection) and they let us fall asleep but then would move Evie to her bassinet. I always panicked when I realized she wasn't there but it was their policy.

Evelyn - 3/15/14

• I bed share and if your LO can chest sleep on you it be doable but as FBW said it'd be hard in the narrow beds. I wish you a speedy recovery! Oh and a healed pretty lady bits

Lilypie First Birthday tickers   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"