September 2014 Moms
Options

BTDT Moms-- What's In Your Diaper Bag?

Just thinking ahead a little about everything I need for our diaper bag. As a first time mom, I'm sure there are things I'm not thinking about needing at all. Any helpful pointers on crucial items that have been lifesavers for you that us first time moms probably aren't aware of? How many diapers, etc. did you typically have with you in your bag?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: BTDT Moms-- What's In Your Diaper Bag?

• Options
    For the newborn stage, I had a blanket, socks, extra outfit, nursing cover, 5 diapers, and wipes with me plus anything else I would throw in.
    As she got older my bag had less baby things and more junk in it. Now I just throw a few diapers and wipes in my purse and roll.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I always keep about 5 diapers in my bag, change of clothes, small pack of snacks like a bag of goldfish, travel pack of wipes, and a book or two. Also in the pocket I have a thermometer, Tylenol, Motrin, a few band aids, and a few alcohol pads. When DD was smaller I kept a receiving blanket in there too, I only take one if I know we are going to be riding in the car for a long period of time or staying out for a while.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was a light diaper bag packer. About 5 diapers, 1 outfit change (typically a sleep n play since that doesn't take up a lot of room), extra socks, wipes, changing pad, extra blanket, bottles, bottle of water, extra binky and a couple freezer bags for stinky diaper changes with no trash available or dirty outfits. I think that about does it.
    image"funny">imageimage
    Mom of Boys!!

Baby #1 - 3 years old
    Baby #2 - Born 10/1/14

• Options
    FTM too so no actual experience, and I can only input what I've heard. Last night at our newborn care class a pediatrician came to speak with us and told us we should always keep 1. A nose bulb (or Frida, either will work equally as fine as long as you change it every so often.) 2. A thermometer & 3. Infant saline spray/drops (good to give them before they eat/nap if they're congested/stuffy).
    And the instructor told us 4-8 diapers, 2 changes of clothes, a blanket, first aid (medicines, bandaids, alcohol wipes, etc.), a pack of travel wipes/box of wipes, changing pad, 1 pair of socks, 1 pair of mittens (if baby scratches), 2-3 different toys/books, and a binky if you're giving baby one.

But this was a great topic, thanks for asking because I'm very interested in what ST+M have to say.
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • Options
    diapers - amount depends on how long you are going to be out
    wipes - some diaper bags will come with their own refillable cases
    Aquaphor - or whatever your diaper cream fancy
    infant motrin - depending on age of your LO
    gripe water - or gas drops, in case baby has tummy upset
    bottle/BM/formula - again, whatever your fancy
    2 extra outfits/onesies - in case of the ever popular blowout
    blanket/sleepsack/swaddle
    burp cloth - in case of spit up or worse ;)
    nose Frieda - AKA nose sucker
    some type of toy/book - in case you need random entertainment

• Options
    For the newborn stage, I found it helpful to carry two changes of clothing. It definitely was necessary more than once, and NB clothes are teeny tiny so they don't take up a lot of room. If your baby takes a pacifier, you need a backup paci, and I would say at least 5 diapers. You want wipes, diaper cream, gas drops. Your bag should have a diaper pad included in it but if you are repurposing a non-diaper bag, get one of those diaper wallets, they're great. I liked carrying one or two of the muslin blankets, either to throw over the stroller when baby was napping or to use as a burp cloth or whatever. I BFed my kid so I have no input on transportation of formula, but it was helpful to have extra breast pads for leakage.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I will have to go back to my old organization, since my diaper bag packing has gotten a lot more sloppy. Last time I used a zipper pouch (from 31 gifts) - one print for one kid, and a different print for the other kid. Each pouch had a couple diapers, wipes, butt cream, and change of clothes in it, so if I was just taking one kid, I could easily just grab the small bag, or if one kid needed the diaper change, there was no digging around to try and find all the bits you need in your big bag. 

For a newborn, I also carried burp clothes, an extra pacifier, a couple small toys or books (has now morphed into crayons and paper for the older kids) in case we stop somewhere or are waiting in line for something, backup bottle w/ water, and formula container (I bf'ed the last baby, but I supplemented w/ formula so this was nice to have as a just in case).

We also carry a little pouch that has some first aid stuff - bandaids, neosporin, Tylenol, Benadryl, baking soda (supposed to draw out a splinter or a bee stinger), hand sanitizer. 

OOH and an empty bag for dirty clothes/diapers. 
    image        image
  • Options
    chardonnay24chardonnay24 member
    edited July 2014
    When he was tiny, I always had an extra outfit or two depending on how long I'd be gone, a blanket, 1 diaper per hour (we CD'd and they took up a ton of room), wipes, wet bag, extra pacifier, and enough bottles and milk to get me through our trip. He ate pretty consistently every 3 hours, so I'd pack enough for that schedule plus one extra. I also got in the habit of keeping frozen milk at my parent's and IL's houses (I EP'd). It was also handy in the early days to have extra nursing pads, nipple balm, and even an extra shirt if you end up leaking a ton. When he was a bit older, I added a toy and/or book and Tylenol or teething tablets and took out the nursing stuff.

ETA: I forgot burp cloths and diaper rash cream!

ETA #2: Even though we CD'd, we always had disposables laying around just in case. I'd keep a little bag in my car with a few disposables, a travel pack of wipes, and first aid items. I didn't use this stuff so often that I needed to carry with me everywhere, but my car was usually not terribly far away if I needed something.

• Options

Depends on your style and preference to macguyver through things I think. And it totally changes with their ages.

Newborn:

1 diaper /2 hours out --4 hours out = 2 diapers plus maybe 1 backup can't hurt

wipes

burp cloth or receiving blanket--(does double duty in a pinch for changing table, obviously do not change poop on top then wipe up spit up right?)  X2

Swaddle blanket--does double duty as playmat, nursing cover, carseat cover etc. (I almost never cover while nursing, but in a pinch if I feel like it might make someone else more comfy it works)

produce bags from grocery store--a couple stashed in a pocket (recycled from shopping) great for dirty diapers when no trash available, wet clothes, blowouts etc. No need to buy these if you save them from shopping.

extra paci, if you use them

diaper cream if you use it

1-2 extra one piece outfits (sleeper or union suit--onesie with legs) depending on each childs propensity for blow outs. We loved one piece outfits because of the ease of packing

Daily variations may include hats depending on weather, extra warm clothes etc depending on what and where you are going.

I never packed bulb/suckers, medication etc. I just didn't thing any of that stuff was really necessary, but to each her own. Especially early on most of the time you are gone like 2 hours for errands, and you head home to nurse, rest etc.

If you bottle feed, all the stuff that entails or for when hubby has baby out and about on his own. We used a separate soft side cooler for taking milk along as needed, since that was mainly him I can't give expert advice except for that he liked to have it separate so he only had to remember to make sure that made it back in the house so it didn't rot in the car, as in if the diaper bag got left in the trunk no biggie.

baby #3 arrived in September 2014...cannot get ticker to work no matter what I try!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"