January 2014 Moms
Options

What's Your Baby Eating?

Hi everyone, 

I'm visiting from the February board, but I lurk here and have posted once or twice :) My baby was born January 17th and I just went for the 6 month appointment at the pedi today. We had been doing solids 2x per day, usually fruit or veggie mixed with oatmeal (the rice cereal made my baby constipated). We were told today we can go up to 3x per day and maybe 1 snack. In the doctors office this seemed fine, but now that I'm home I'm like what in the world am I going to feed him? I want to make a little of my own food, so I was thinking of doing chicken and quinoa but I'm not sure if it's too early to introduce quinoa. Maybe I should do pasta instead...

So anyway, just curious what your baby eats :) Thanks for the help! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What's Your Baby Eating?

• Options
    I like the website @esd pointed out. DD eats her purees and I'm always making up new combinations, but mostly she wants what I eat, so I give her lots of tastes of my meals. Pretty much anything is game at this point except for foods that are unsafe, irritating or allergenic. 
  • Options
    He eats what we eat. Today for lunch I made pot roast stew and he ate it. He loved the beef and kept searching got those pieces on his tray.
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We do BLW (mostly) and he eats just about anything we do.  Last night he was chewing on a steak strip, a piece of potato, a raw mushroom slice, and a piece of watermelon.  He doesn't actually swallow much yet but he is learning.  I figure once he gets teeth it will pick up.  Honestly, with no evidence of allergies in either of our families I've really only avoided the high allergen foods like nuts, strawberries, etc.  He has has a bite of shrimp and a little big of egg and a little bit of cheese but not much of those.  Everything else is pretty much fair game. 

Typically I offer a piece of fruit in the morning with maybe a few puffs.  Lunch is a veggie and maybe a piece of protein.  Afternoon snack is either a piece of fruit or a teething cookie.  Dinner is whatever we are eating or if we are eating something that's not appropriate (salty, spicy) he gets leftovers of the last dinner.

• Options
    I do BLW so whatever we are having she gets pretty much.  I only give her food maybe 2x per day right now (lunch and dinner).  Sometimes just dinner. 

• Options
    I hope you don't all think I am a complete dummy.  I have been reading up on BLW this week (using the website above), but I just don't get it. Therefore I am too nervous to try it.  When the food is offered to the baby, is the baby actually chewing and swallowing?   
  • Options
    We've been doing rice/oatmeal for a month or so and have been adding fruits and veggies into the mix. Currently, DS has rice or oatmeal in the AM with some fruit, a veggie and/or fruit if he seems interested when I'm eating lunch and rice or oatmeal with whatever fruit we started in the AM. He BFs in between and during the night as well. So far he's tried green beans, sweet potatoes, apples, bananas and mangos. I just bought a small steamer and masher from Babies R Us which I like and we have a hand blender. I add a splash of breast milk to soften the food up a little if needed.

Met & fell in love in '02 Married in '10
    Our first is in Heaven- we said goodbye in September 2012
  • Options
    We are pretty strictly NOT BLW - but that's just because we haven't ventured to try it yet. So, non-BLW by default pretty much at this point. 

DD eats oatmeal cereal at daycare in the mornings after her first nap. I'll be adding in a pureed vegetable or fruit starting tomorrow. Once we get home, she gets a dinner meal (after nursing) of rice cereal and veggie. If we're eating something "safe", she'll get a piece of our dinner. Mostly, she is completely exhausted by OUR dinner time, so she's usually in bed or screaming ha!

Purees: sweet potato, green beans, peas, carrots, peaches. 
    Has tried pieces of: cantaloupe, apple, honeydew, banana mum mums
  • Options
    I hope you don't all think I am a complete dummy.  I have been reading up on BLW this week (using the website above), but I just don't get it. Therefore I am too nervous to try it.  When the food is offered to the baby, is the baby actually chewing and swallowing?   
    The idea of offering pieces vs purees is that baby learns to suck/chew on it.  When they end up getting a piece of it eventually they learn how to move it around in their mouth so they don't choke on it.  The actual swallowing comes later.  With purees it is the other way around.  Baby learns to swallow first and chew/move chunks around later.  We've been at the BLW thing consistently for over a month and my kid still doesn't actually swallow much.  He's getting better though.  Soft fruit and veggies get mashed between gums and things like broccoli and meat strips are gummed and sucked dry.  He's like a little vampire with a steak strip.
  • Options
    @txsooner03 You are not alone-I may be the only other person to feel as you do but the whole thing scares me too and I don't feel like I quite get it. I am so scared of her choking that I just do purees. A few times, I have offered her what I am eating when it is soft like the saucy part of a chicken pot pie. I have given her a tiny piece of watermelon. I am wondering if she is not ready for this yet anyways because she picks up and puts EVERYTHING in her mouth except any tiny pieces of food that I have put on her tray. My thinking is BLW is also when the baby picks up the  food and feeds him/herself. I'll check out the website too but just scared of choking! 

I'm 33 DH is 36 
    Married 6/27/2009 Together since 10/22/2005
    TTC since 8/2010 (off BCP since 8/2009) 
    Unexplained Infertility
    8/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012 IUI #1-3 BFN 
    6/2012 IVF#1 BFN, 8/2012 IVF#2 FET BFN, 11/2012 IVF#3 BFP
    12/10/2012 U/S #1 6w4d - heartbeat  EDD 8/1/13 
    12/26/2012 U/S #2 8w6d - No more heartbeat, MMC; D&C; Chromosome testing normal; male :( RPL testing normal 
    4/3/2013 DX Asherman's Syndrome caused by D&C, hysteroscopy done
    June 2013 IVF #4 planned 
    5/12/2013 SURPRISE BFP! Natural cycle 
    7/11/2013 Panorama results Normal!!! Team Pink, partial previa moved up in 2nd tri9/5/13 (19w) AS scan shows short cervix, 2.5 cm 9/19 (21w)  Cervix is worse 1.87cm, bed rest 10/26 & 10/27 steroid shots 12/19 (35w) DX: SGA Baby went from 57% percentile to 18th percentile in 6 weeks. Weekly BPP and NST until she is here. 1/17/18 Growth scan puts Abby below 10th percent in size, low amniotic fluid, and less movement. Time to induce!
    1/18/14 2:11am Abigial Morgan is here! 5lbs 14oz and 18 inches of pure cuteness!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I second the whole not actually swallowing bit. We are a few weeks in and he will swallow a little bit.

Breast milk/formula is still his source of nutrition (haven't cut back on those feedings) so it doesn't bother me that he isn't swallowing much yet. However, I do get oddly excited to find bits of food in the diaper! Lol.

We've had:
    Sweet potato
    Avocado
    Banana
    Broccoli
    Asparagus
    Pizza crust :p
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• Options
    What's your baby eating you ask? Not much! We do cereal w/ fruit or a veggie on its own twice a day but I'm pretty sure next to nothing goes down. She probably only gets a tsp of food each time. I've tried putting spears of cooked veggies on her tray as well but she usually picks it up and puts it on the floor. She doesn't seem interested in putting things in her mouth. I find it interested that others have LO's that can get the spoon to their mouth alone. Babies of the same age are all so different. I'll just keep offering and eventually she'll want it I guess.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the ideas :) I think the next food I'll try with him will be sweet potatoes!

• Options
    jcwinsto said:

The idea of offering pieces vs purees is that baby learns to suck/chew on it.  When they end up getting a piece of it eventually they learn how to move it around in their mouth so they don't choke on it.  The actual swallowing comes later.  With purees it is the other way around.  Baby learns to swallow first and chew/move chunks around later.  We've been at the BLW thing consistently for over a month and my kid still doesn't actually swallow much.  He's getting better though.  Soft fruit and veggies get mashed between gums and things like broccoli and meat strips are gummed and sucked dry.  He's like a little vampire with a steak strip.

Thank you! This is very helpful to me.

• Options
    We've done pureed sweet potatoes and green beans, mashed up bananas, rice cereal, and banana mum mum cookies
  • Options
    Anyone else's baby freak out and not eat anything? I feel dumb because we've tried rice cereal, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, bananas, and avocado. He hates that I feed him so I'm thinking trying more blw style but I haven't really done much reading on it. I get that it teaches different eating skills first. I got freaked out bc we were doing oatmeal every night and he just HATED it then tried avocado and he spewed linda blair style and was completely lethargic. So we took a break then tried some others, still hates it. He loves chewing on his spoons and will touch all of the food but unlike his toys he won't stick anything in his mouth and when he does accidentally he gets that baby shudder like I'm gonna gag.
    Ped gave ok two months ago but nothing has been successful. He's six months now so I'd like to at least find one thing he will eat
    Any ideas?
  • Options
    @somewierd_person‌ my LO does this too. I keep offering because I figure she'll take it eventually. I know she gets everything she needs from BM so I'm not stressing over it.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! He seems so interested in the mechanics, chewing, holding the spoon, looking in the bowls etc. I know eventually he will find something good he likes. I go back and forth between thinking I should offer the same things often and I should keep switching until he likes something. I don't want him to be stressed out about food, I guess he's going to take his own time to decide this one like everything else :-)
  • Options
    We have been doing mostly purees. I have giving pieces and strips of food for LO to suck on more and more lately. I just made a huge batch of baby food so I am stocked for quite awhile now. We previously tried the foods all seperate so this time I made combinations.

LO likes bananas, mangos, oatmeal, a sweet potato/carrot/parsnip mixture, mashed potatoes, pears, & peaches. I have been trying out different meats this week with him. We have been doing 3 meals a day and then sometimes a mum mum cookie for a snack.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"