Stay at Home Moms

Swim Lessons Round 2: A Rant

2»

Re: Swim Lessons Round 2: A Rant

• JMC11511 said:

I guess I just don't equate putting a toddler who is ROAMING FREELY AROUND A POOL back on the wall as "physically reprimanding." She startled your kid. She didn't smack him.

He wasn't roaming freely. He hopped into the shallow end of the pool, next to his peers. He was supposed to be in timeout, yes. He was in the water for all of three seconds before a stranger grabbed him by his shoulders and set him back down. And I was right next to her.

That is not what you stated in your OP. You said he "did his usual thing of being with the group for a few minutes and then ran off to the beach part of the pool." Much different from hopping down from the wall for 3 seconds and being next to his peers, which is how you say it happened now.

Again, I don't disagree that the lesson sounded like a disaster. I'm just thinking your emotions about the entire situation may be affecting how you are looking at what happened. I sincerely hope the lesson goes better today. And if it doesn't, perhaps it's best to ask for money back and/or look for a lesson that is a better fit for you and your son.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Aussie, this seems way over the top. Unless they are responsible for the child's conception they cannot touch the child? Hokay. 
    It was meant as a joke, but in all seriousness, if it's someone that my kid doesn't know, I don't want them to be guiding her anywhere. DD doesn't even like other kids coming to touch her or being in her 'bubble', let alone an adult. My issue with what OP stated (and again, you take her word at face value because no one really knows if it happened the way OP said or if OP was just exaggerating) is that it was a kid and instructor class. Parents weren't suppose to be in the pool. Yet they were, and they were acting like they were responsible for the child(ren). From everything OP has said, they didn't even give her a chance to talk to her DS and tell him that he needed to get back on the side of the pool for his time-out. They just grabbed his shoulders and set him back down.

While it's frustrating that a kid keeps interupting the class, when you sign your kid up for a 2-5 swim lesson then you should kind of expect that. They aren't in a private swim lesson and if you want your kid to get a lot of one on one time with the teacher, then pay for a private lesson.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • Loading the player...
  • Your point of view is being heard. We just don't agree with you. Especially because in your OP you say he did his usual thing of wandering off. That sounds like he's a huge distraction and you should've pulled him or helicoptered him yourself

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • QueSyrah said:

Your point of view is being heard. We just don't agree with you. Especially because in your OP you say he did his usual thing of wandering off. That sounds like he's a huge distraction and you should've pulled him or helicoptered him yourself

You're right I see the confusion. The incident of the woman grabbing him by the shoulders was when he hopped in the pool. The wandering off, while someone guided him back and I was initially annoyed by that, I see now that wasn't really that big of a deal. We have our second lesson of this session in half an hour, hopefully things are a little less chaotic today.
    Because you're mine, I walk the line....
    Landry Mark: 11/5/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • amy052006 said:

This entire story is why I roll my eyes at people bitching about helicoptering. Some times that shit is just necessary.  Most kids have their moments where they need to be helicoptered for their benefit and probably the benefit of others.

I am the first person to call our a helicopter mom but when your special snowflake is so disruptive they have to be out in TO multiple times you either need to be helicoptering or pulling your kid from the class
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"