Pregnant after 35

Prenatal test 35 and older

I'm 38 and really nervous about my first prenatal appt. I don't want the well your old and the baby is at risk for this and that. Sheesh! Make me comfortable. I'm not old, just more mature.

Re: Prenatal test 35 and older

• lcwedlcwed member
    I will be interested in other experiences too. This will be my first AMA pregnancy so I will be curious how this one differs from my first one.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Me 36 DH 39

DD 3/29/12
                      BFP 6/4/14 ~ MMC 7/7/14 ~ D&C 7/15/14            
    BFP 11/28/14 ~ MMC  12/29/14    

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

• edited June 2014
    My dr doesn't bring my age up a lot just told me I would be doing harmony test. I hate when they bring up your age all the time. Like we don't know. Lol...our age group is growing fast they better get used to it! :P....edit: spelling
    ***ticker warning*** DS 3/27/12 born 6 weeks early....my perfect boy !! Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers [url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb1f.lilypie.com/z5R8p1.png[/img][/url] image<a href="http://www.thebump.com/?
  • Loading the player...
  • Most pregnant moms are in their 40s where I live...  (and even in their 50s).  I am 38 so that makes me one of the younger moms....  heh.

Fortunately most caregivers have enough sense to keep their lips zipped.  We know the risks.... and, well, it seems that at least some of them have actually been exaggerated. 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• My OB doesn't emphasize age. This is my second AMA pregnancy.  I see AMA mentioned when she's writing orders for ultrasounds and other tests. That's mostly for insurance purposes.  Other than ordering Panorama for me, we don't talk about age at all.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • If you are going to do some prenatal testing, you do have to be aware that AGE makes a big difference in the "risk factors" that they give you. Some of the tests NT Scan, Triple Screen, Quad Screen actually use your age as part of the equation to give you a "risk" number. be prepared, the older you are, the "risk factor "can end up being alarming.

I did NT scan and had major freak out when I was told I had a 1:45 chance of Down Syndrome. my doctror tried to reassure me that it was my AGE that jacked that number up, but it was still very disconcerting and scary to hear that until I was actually told "low risk' based on follow-up tests. 

Just be prepared
    ===siggy warning====
    Me: 40, DH: 42
    Diagnosis: PCOS
    TTC: May 2013
    TX: IUI #1 with Follistim. Canceled due to too many follicles (10 + that were large); BENCHED
    IVF #1 March 6. 14 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized. 
    March 11, 4 eggs transferred.
    March 21 BFP  :) Beta #1 457, Beta #2 1350, Beta #3 9619. 
    Due Date November 27, 2014
    TEAM BLUE

• smfdjosmfdjo member
    Its advanced age not old :)  I only was offered one extra test.  
  • One of these baby communities has a group for "young moms" and I almost joined then realized at the last minute that at 38, I will definitely not be a young mom. Oops. ;)
  • @indianaalum‌ , Do you mind me asking your age and how far along you are?
  • @fashionistajill

I am 41 and in my 2nd trimester. Though, I did the NT scan several weeks ago
    ===siggy warning====
    Me: 40, DH: 42
    Diagnosis: PCOS
    TTC: May 2013
    TX: IUI #1 with Follistim. Canceled due to too many follicles (10 + that were large); BENCHED
    IVF #1 March 6. 14 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized. 
    March 11, 4 eggs transferred.
    March 21 BFP  :) Beta #1 457, Beta #2 1350, Beta #3 9619. 
    Due Date November 27, 2014
    TEAM BLUE

• path75path75 member
    I am also 38 and first time mom. I have not been labeled high risk and they have not yet mentioned my age. They did suggest genetic testing but ths that is about it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @moroccojade‌

Any chance you're in Boston or the area? I don't feel old at all because lots of people my age (38) and older are getting pregnant. I met with an MFM who told me to relax about it because she meets with new moms even in their 50s, and that while there are risks, the overwhelming majority of AMA pregnancies go off without a hitch.

I do know, though, that one of my high school friends was sharing the grueling details of all the tests and warnings and worries she dealt with while pregnant - but she's in the Midwest where you're the barren crypt keeper at 30.
  • @path75‌

Me too. I'm AMA (38) *and* overweight, so on paper, it's a double-whammy but the MFM said that despite those factors, I'm in good health and she's positive about pregnancy for me.
  • moroccojademoroccojade member
    edited July 2014
    maahcyjo said:
    @moroccojade‌ Any chance you're in Boston or the area? I don't feel old at all because lots of people my age (38) and older are getting pregnant. I met with an MFM who told me to relax about it because she meets with new moms even in their 50s, and that while there are risks, the overwhelming majority of AMA pregnancies go off without a hitch. I do know, though, that one of my high school friends was sharing the grueling details of all the tests and warnings and worries she dealt with while pregnant - but she's in the Midwest where you're the barren crypt keeper at 30.
    maahcyjo    I am in Vancouver.  A very HCOL city....  I think that delays couple's plans to get pregnant by quite a few years.  25 year olds just can't afford million++ dollar homes for some strange reason.  ;)    I am actually the youngest mom in my daughter's class as far as I know.  Many of the moms are in their mid-late 40s.  And many dads in their 50s.    Two of the moms are even grandmothers already!  My daughter just can't figure out how some of her friends can be Aunts already...
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• I hope your appointment goes well! My OB considered me high-risk but it was because I have a history of thyroid problems. She didn't even mention my age (36) until I asked about it, and she just said it's very common & usually not a problem in itself. I appreciate my OB's positivity because my own family thinks you practically become infertile at 30 & you're a freak if you don't become a baby factory the moment you get married.
  • This is my 3rd pregnancy and I am 36.  I will be having a level II u/s in the next couple of weeks.  Other than sending me for that, my doctor hasn't shown any real concern over my age.
  • I am 41, twins, overweight. My OB is very supportive and just wants a healthy pregnancy. I saw a genetic counselor who gave the spiel about age risk factors, which I already know. We are having Non Invasive Prenatal Screen (Verifi), because I dont want increased risk of miscarraige that CVS and amniocentesis bring. Also the NIPS is diagnostic and will give very definitive results- not risk of 1 in... so it really is more accurate than the quad/nt testing. But you do get an "extra" u/s with the nt scan :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Bigboneded‌ I have my first appt on Monday. 9 weeks and 4 days, I'm nervous. If the test come up I am going to be sure to go with the NIPS and any blood test. Opting out for cvs and amino.
  • @MelanieKevin1 I am  also 38 with my first pregnancy.  I am also really nervous about my 1st prenatal appointment.  I am so blessed that I am not alone, and this website exists!  Let us know how is goes.  Hopefully all will go well!

• Well I went and I saw my peanut! Heartbeat was strong. I let them know there will be no amino or cvs. I will however do maternity 21. Genetic testing only with blood. Next up mid ultrasound
  • i was 38 when my first was born, will be 40 when #2 arrives.  the fact is, that as older mothers we can't escape the fact that the risk of downs and other trisomy diseases are higher, and that our chances of getting pregnancy are lower.  with both my pregnancies my midwives/doctors have acknowledged the risks without making a big deal about it.  its quite common here (Vancouver, CDA) for women my age to have their first at an older age.  if your care giver is harping on you being AMA, find another one who is more progressive.  most are. 
  • I had my first when I was 34 so I technically wasn't AMA and I'm 36 with my second.  Other than an initial discussion with my midwives about being over 35, nothing has been different this time around.  My midwife said two interesting things- first, that she's seen more downs babies in moms under 35 (probably b/c there are a higher number of women under 35 giving birth) and second age is one factor along with overall health.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am 36 but will be 37 by the time this one is delivered.  I was the one that brought up the age thing not my OB. We opted for the DNA test which is a blood test thats done in between 7-13 weeks. It screens for all the same stuff as the amnio does but it also lets you know the gender.  Were having a girl!  Girls 3 boy 1..... for a grand total of 4!!  And I was told that I would never be able to conceive on my own!!  LOL  they didn't know what they were talking about!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"