Breastfeeding
Options

Skipping a Feeding

DH and I are going away for the weekend for his friend's wedding. LO is only 3 months, so he's coming with us. H's parents will also be there. Since DH is a groomsman, he'll need to be at the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner on Friday night. We'll be there for about 3 hours or so (I won't go to the rehearsal, just the dinner, ILs will watch baby), but LO nurses about every 2 hours still. I really don't want to excuse myself to pump in the car during the dinner, but of course will do it if it's for the best. So my question is do you think it would be okay to skip one feeding? If I fed LO right before the dinner and then fed him one last time at night when we get back to the hotel would that be okay? I've had a blocked milk duct once before with DD and want to avoid that at all costs. Thanks for your help!
DH & I: 29
TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
TTC #2 since October 2011
2IF issues
7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Skipping a Feeding

• Options
    Yeah I agree I think it would be ok, but ditto that you should bring the pump with you just in case. You may find that you are really full when you feed LO after you get back from the dinner and maybe you can pump a little bit after that feed if you are feeling really full and LO still doesn't empty you. Are you really not in the mood at all to break away to go pump even if it only for 5-10 minutes?

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
    BFP #2: 3.26.13, EDC: 12.7.13. Anya born December 9th, 2013!
  • Options
    No, truthfully I'd rather pump than not. It wouldn't be a big deal for me to leave, but I'm worried about the logistics. For one, I think the restaurant is valet parking only, and second, I can imagine feeling awkward in terms of discretion.
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jenn43jenn43 member
    My LO is 12 weeks old, and I'm able to go about 6 hours before I need to pump or nurse.  This long of a stretch is usually at night, but I've gone up to 5 hours during the day without too much a hit to my supply (although I've only done this a couple of times).  I had oversupply for the first couple of months though, so I would take this with a grain of salt.  Still, I agree with PP- if you haven't had supply issues, skipping one session is probably fine.
  • Options
    RDK24RDK24 member
    I would be okay skipping the feeding, it's only 3 hours... I would bring your pump (I have a manual pump as backup which is helpful for stuff like this--wouldn't use it for a day away from the baby but it's great for relieving some pressure when the ILs 'helpfully' fed her a bottle just before I woke up, etc) and you can maybe pump a bit on the drive home, or if LO doesn't eat that much when you get back pump before bed.

But one missed feeding really isn't a huge problem IMO. It depends on how stable your supply is--if you've fought tooth and nail to have enough supply to EBF then I wouldn't skip
    Agree with all this, especially the manual pump. I have a Medela Harmony and have used it many a time in a bathroom stall to take the edge of some discomfort/in a pinch when I needed to pump but didn't want to lug around the double electric.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"