February 2014 Moms

IUD people...anyone else have really bad cramps?

I've had my IUD in for like 4 months now. I bled a ton for 7 weeks straight, but since that it's been good to go.

Yesterday I started getting some bad cramps, but they're more in my lower back than in my abdomen. They're not contraction-like, it's more like a constant ache, or a painful pressure, in my lower back/pelvis.

I'm going to call my OB tomorrow if they don't go away, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: IUD people...anyone else have really bad cramps?

• Have you checked the strings lately? I'm on my 3rd Mirena and the only time I've had cramping like that with it (and low back pain too) was when it expelled. Not meant to scare you, but worth checking your strings! Hope you feel better soon.
  • Have you checked the strings lately? I'm on my 3rd Mirena and the only time I've had cramping like that with it (and low back pain too) was when it expelled. Not meant to scare you, but worth checking your strings! Hope you feel better soon.
    Um. At the risk of sounding like a complete moron, how does one check the strings? Just feel up there and see if I detect anything weird?

lol

I am such a freaking 13 year old boy, typing that out made me giggle.

• Loading the player...
  • Unfortunately yes! I will be honest, sometimes you have to really reach too. It helps to rest one foot on the side of the bathtub ot something similar. When I called to ask about mine, one of the first things they asked is if I checked the strings. If you either can't find the strings or they feel very low, you'll want to get it checked out.
    Codypup said:

Have you checked the strings lately? I'm on my 3rd Mirena and the only time I've had cramping like that with it (and low back pain too) was when it expelled. Not meant to scare you, but worth checking your strings! Hope you feel better soon.

Um. At the risk of sounding like a complete moron, how does one check the strings? Just feel up there and see if I detect anything weird?

lol

I am such a freaking 13 year old boy, typing that out made me giggle.

:\">
  • CodypupCodypup member
    edited July 2014
    cara5565 said:
    I had a lot of cramping/spotting in the beginning as well. The week before AF and during seems to be a little more intense as well. I've noticed a lot more random lower back pain which was never an issue for me before. I got my IUD inserted at my 6 week PP check up so I still had a little pain from birth. I guess I just chalked it up to the wear and tear my body went through. I'll be watching this thread as I'm interested in what others have experienced!
    @cara5565 - See, I've never had cramping until yesterday. Random bleeding? Yes. But no cramping and no predictable period schedule.

The pain is less crampy and more like pressure in my lower back and butt. Blah!

• Just checked (LOL) and I felt nothing weird.

Will definitely be calling my OB in the morning. BLAH

• Sort of a t/j but I've tried checking my strings a few times and can never find them. Are they supposed to be way up there? And more to the posterior or anterior of the cervix?
  • So, pain is totally gone today. I have absolutely no idea if it was related to the IUD or not! It could just be part of a cycle...I'll definitely keep an eye on it. I have an appt with my OB soon anyway so I'll bring it up then as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"