August 2014 Moms
Options

Membrane sweep...

Hi ladies. Hope you're all hanging in there. 39w1d. Just had membranes sweeped.. Pretty crampy and uncomfortable. Any STMs have this done and if so how effective was it? I'm 2cm and soft (hoping it starts things but also trying to not expect that it will...) just looking to see what your past experience was like with it and when you went into labor.

Re: Membrane sweep...

• Options
    I'm a FTM so I can't help you. I know you are uncomfortable now, but did it hurt while they did it? I have a feeling they are going to suggest this to me tomorrow.
  • Options
    nthomas1014nthomas1014 member
    edited July 2014
    With my first I had gotten it done around the same time as yours. My appointment was in the morning and that night I was in predominal labor (pre-labor). The next day I ended up going into labor and delivery around 8pm (came in and I wasn't as far along to get admitted) The doctor swiped my membranes a second time and I was told to go home eat and walk around. We got home and with in the hour we were back at the hospital and I was admitted! We had our daughter the next day at 12pm.  I'm not sure if I'll get a membrane sweep this time until I become past due. Mostly because I've been freaking out lately about having two kids and time seems to be flying by too quickly!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @workmm01 It was uncomfortable, I felt some pain but it was nothing in comparison to what it lead up too for me!
  • Options
    I did with #1, but that was at 39w6d, so.....I went into labor that night and delivered 24 hrs later. I was 2 cm/50% when they did it. GL!
    Mom to Frances, 6, Adam, 4, and baby Lila.
  • Options
    I am hoping to have mine done tomorrow (39 wk apt). You have to be dilated to do it and I wasn;t at my last appointment but by dr. said I as close, so hoping that a week has made the difference. People say its 50/50 in getting anything going, I guess we will see.

I'd love to hear how it works out for you, please keep us updated! (and good luck!) 
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I had my membranes swept last Monday at 11:45am and was admitted to L&D 12 hours later. Baby was born Tuesday morning :)
    Soon to be mommy of 3!
    DS Grayson (3yrs) (Emergency Csec)
    imageDS Camden (1yr) (All natural Vbac)
    DD Isabella due 8/2/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!
    @ workmm01 didn't hurt too much just uncomfortable. It's been a couple of hours just feeling crampy and achy. Going to take a walk now to hopefully get things going

@MerDe3 I'm 2cm/50% too so here's hoping I have the same experience!
  • Options
    @MrsDuarte8185‌ I will keep you posted ! GL Thursday!
  • Options
    OAHMOMOAHMOM member
    I was 4cm at my 38 week appointment with DD. Swept my membranes and contractions started 3-4 hours later and DD was born 14 hours after the sweep. Worked for me!

DS: Oliver 12/28/10
    DD: Alice 8/8/12

• Options
    I had a stretch done at my 39 week and I had some bad cramps after, it's now 6 days later and nothing. I'll probably have it done again tomorrow at my 40 week, and I'm hopeful that will work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm a ftm, but had mine swept last Wednesday at 38 wks +3. Was a little uncomfortable that night, but really not much since then.
  • Options
    mislogismislogis member
    edited July 2014
    I'm 39+1 and had mine swept this am. I'm already 3-4cm so in hoping it jump starts things :) good luck!

Eta: my practice won't do this until
    You are 39+ and have actively changing cervix. If I was still 1.5 like last thurs, she likely would not have done it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    With DS, had it done at 40w3d. Nada. Again at 41w3d and went into labor that night (a couple hours after I also had some caster oil). I give more credit to the caster oil, but my body and baby were ready to go at that point so matter what I did!
  • Options
    First timer here... Is there any downside / risks to having this done? If not, sign me up. 
  • Options
    Good luck! I was 2-3 cm with my last baby and had my membranes swept twice and nothing. I still ended up induced.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    Venus04 said:

First timer here... Is there any downside / risks to having this done? If not, sign me up. 

It can cause PROM. A friend of mine had hers swept WITHOUT her consent (she thought she was just getting a cervical check), her water broke when she got home a little later, labor didn't start consistently on it's own, cascade of interventions/you've been ruptured too long led her to a csection.

That being said, I had it done twice with DS, because they were pushing an induction on me, it caused some early labor that petered out, but didn't put me into labor and I ended up being induced anyways. I may have it done again this pregnancy, but only if I make it to my due date, I refused a cervical check all together at my 38 week appointment.
  • Options
    I had mine swept today to, I'm 39w1d, also a FTM.  Fingers crossed it works, otherwise I'm looking at an induction next week.  

So far today but a lot of painful cramping and nausea, which is oh so fun! OP I hope it works for you!  I'll update if anything happens for me, but I think my little guy just wants to stay in.  
    Aug' 14 July siggy challenge - Motivational Speaking For Momsimage

• Options
    I refused a cervical check at my 38 week appointment today as well @happylady07‌ . Ive been having waves of contractions 3-5 minutes apart but they decrease in intensity. Knowing if I was dilated/effaced would unnecessarily add to my emotional roller coaster!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers Teacher 2007 * Wife 2011 * Proud A14 Momma * Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Update: not much happening. (Or at least I don't think so..) been up since 330 am with timeable contractions every 8-10 minutes. Some mucusy discharge (sorry tmi). Let's see how this goes.... Ugh just want to go to hospital but don't want to be sent home!
    @alphaxi614‌ good luck!
  • Options
    Just had mine swept today at 9 Am. 39+1 today still only a little over 1
    cm and 50% (for 3 weeks no change) lets see if helps any.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"