March 2014 Moms

Awful sleep commiseration thread?

Re: Awful sleep commiseration thread?

• It Was probably because he was exhausted from his shots, but DS only woke up nice last night!! Momma feels great this morning!
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• oh man I thought I was tired from Luke's handful of wake-ups, but you girls must be exhausted! *hugs and sleepy fairy dust to all*

my little guy was getting himself into a pretty good routine....sleep at 8:30, feed before I went to bed at 11, then either sleep until 6 and be up for the day or wake to feed at 4 then sleep til 7. that went on for a few weeks but just the last maybe 4 nights have been chaos. I think maybe it's because everyone in the freaking world wants to hold and play with him 24/7 so the poor baby hasn't been getting any good naps. He goes down ok but then wakes up right around that 11 feed time and doesn't want to eat, just acts sad and overtired and fusses until I bounce him to sleep. is sleeping like a rock but as soon as his back touches the crib he's half awake and thrashing around like it's a rave party and if I take my hands off of him completely he cries. *sigh* usually I can get him back to sleep but then he's been waking at 1 or 3 to eat again since he didn't eat earlier and he is impossible to lay down after that feed so after an hour and a half of trying the last few nights I just give in and let him sleep in his swing (which is always successful). sleeping in the swing makes me nervous though since he's been sitting up and rolling over on his own. I buckle him with the seatbelt part (not the chest belt though or I'd wake him) but I'm still nervous. ug. I hope he gets better naps so this doesn't become a habit.

I swear the night before last he had some nightmares

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • What is it about transitioning from the first to the second sleep cycle that LO does not grasp?? Wakes up at the 30-40 minute mark. Always.

• memo9memo9 member
    It took 4 hours to get my kid to sleep tonight.  WTF?!
  • @memo9 it was a night like that that prompted me to start this thread. I feel your pain :(

• @memo9 3 hours here. We started the routine at 7 and he didn't sleep until 10:15. He's been up every two hours since. I am so tired. When coworkers ask how he's sleeping I nearly burst into tears. It might not be "nearly" today...
  • Well today might be better *knock on wood* he's been fussing on and off for a little bit but his eyes are closed. Waaaaay better than last night! Hopefully he's able to fall asleep on his own.
  • @LakeCountryGal‌ we've gone through a few of those phases, and that time period is always worst for us, too. Some nights he sleeps fine on his own but sometimes he has to be in bed with me. I think maybe he gets cold? I have no idea.

BabyFetus Ticker

• MeggsMMeggsM member
    Ugh I'm up too ! Every 2-3 hours. Looks like today is nap day for mum.

This is seriously terrible - she's eating every time and I 'm exhausted.
  • Last night could've been amazing! DS slept from 9-1:45, nursed 10 min then slept again until 4:45, nursed 10 min and is still asleep.

I had insomnia and was awake until after 11.

:((
  • An hour to go down and up at 2, 4, and 6. Each time I've had a harder time falling back asleep even though I'm exhausted. Not really crying. Just whining and doing her new favorite trick , blowing raspberries. I can't.

• Jessie615Jessie615 member
    edited July 2014
    @LakeCountryGal‌ my LO takes a lot of work to get him back to sleep after his 2nd and even 3rd wake up depending on how the night does. I'm not back to work yet, but will be in about 2 weeks and not sure how I'm gonna survive either.

My husband has thankfully been the one to be able to put him back down. I don't know if he smells me and doesn't want me to be away from him or what. He def had a full belly! I miss my better sleeper that's for sure! And he does go to bed completely awake on his own every night. Shouldn't he be better about resettling during the night too? Ha, wishful thinking?
  • Have any of you ladies run into the refusing to sleep unless mom is right there phase?? DS sleeps well from 7pm-2am (usually) but then from 2am-4am will only sleep if I'm holding him or bedshare. He literally screams if I'm not right there. I can hardly function during the day at work and am so exhausted that I try to make him nap when we get home in the afternoon just so I can nap.

YES. LO only wants me to put her to sleep at night. If my husband tries she cries. Ugh. She usually sleeps till 7 but if she wakes up prior to that then we bed share. I say you do whatever gets you the most sleep!!
  • @chocoroom‌ I had the same night! M fell asleep at 8 and didn't wake up until 130!! Never happened before and sadly I stayed up until midnight cause I though she was about to wake up any minute.
  • Jessie615 said:

Random here too I put on the fisher price glow seashore as nothing else was calming or soothing my LO two nights ago. He instantly stopped crying and eventually passed out.

I know this is a few days old, but be careful with the toy seahorse. There have been a number of them that have caught fire/started smoking if the batteries are changed. There is no recall on them, but you can find a number of stories about them. Just wanted to make sure you knew!
  • Jenstwins said:

Jessie615 said:

Random here too I put on the fisher price glow seashore as nothing else was calming or soothing my LO two nights ago. He instantly stopped crying and eventually passed out.

I know this is a few days old, but be careful with the toy seahorse. There have been a number of them that have caught fire/started smoking if the batteries are changed. There is no recall on them, but you can find a number of stories about them. Just wanted to make sure you knew!
    Yikes we have the seahorse too. Good to know.

• @LakeCountryGal‌ and @jtizzay‌ It's not the aquarium (hangs on the crib) it's a light up stuffed toy. Picture attached below!
  • So Elijah is a terrible sleeper. I was nursing him to sleep and putting him down in the swing. Lately it's been taking me up to an hour to get him to sleep, that's ridiculous. I have things to do around the house and poor DD is seriously neglected when DH isn't home. So two nights ago I got rid of the swing and set up the pack n play (tried before and failed.) I decided I was going to do the Ferber method and see how it went. He was really whining more than crying and I was doing the dishes, we made it to the 7 minute interval, after I went in after 7 minutes he stopped crying and fell asleep! He slept for a few hours before waking up, success! Last night he fussed for less than five minutes, never even cried and fell asleep. I am a believer. My issue is he still wakes up a lot at night and will not settle without being nursed or coming into my bed. 

Last night he went down a little before 8, was up at 10, then back into the pack n play from 10:30-1. I tried to get him to sleep in it until 2 when I gave up and put him in our bed.

Any advice @babycaps? I feel like I can't let him cry it out while we are in there trying to sleep, or am I wrong with that? Should I do the same technique but just in my bed instead of in the other room? I feel like if he sees me there he'll just freak out. 

• @Berry30‌ I feel your pain! Same issues here! He tries his hardest to get in my bed!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Jenstwins‌ thanks for the heads-up about the seahorse. I was aware and we stood by his crib the whole time because we tried it on a whim as we were desperate. It came out as soon as was asleep. I def worry about that stuff too!
  • @berry30 we are in the same boat. Ferber is mostly working to go down at bedtime, but she is up multiple times per night. I just don't have it in me to do ferber overnight too. She's still in our room so I think us being there might make trying ferber then harder. And I'm not ready for her to be in her own room yet. Even though I probably wouldn't jump at every little noise like I do now. I try giving her the binky but if that doesn't work I nurse her.

• @sanibel21 I could have written that word for word. I try to calm him with a binky or his glow worm but he doesn't usually go back down after that second wake up. The reason I haven't moved him to his crib yet is because he gets up so much at night, but then I think, maybe he wouldn't if he was in his own room? 

• Yup @berry30 I wonder if us rolling around, snoring, being there, etc wakes her up or makes her more awake. But if we move her I may be up more worrying about her and definitely more awake myself from walking to another room. Such a catch 22!

• @babycaps good to know you let him be while he was babbling/playing for an hour overnight. I was wondering about that, if we should try to get her back to sleep ASAP before she becomes too awake or let her be.

• I have been away for a while, so I was so surprised when I came back to see so many people having the same problems we are. We started out with a baby I could never get to nap. Once he got to daycare he suddenly started napping and going down at 8pm. After about 2 weeks of that we even had only one MOTN wakeup. I thought life was perfect, my husband jinxed us by complaining he wouldn't sleep through the night. Now DS wakes up several times between 8 and midnight, then usually twice after that. And even his daycare naps are all over the place.

Our pediatrician recommends the Ferber method. Right now DS is recovering from a double ear infection, so we are going to wait a week or two. But I have a deadline because I have a work trip where I will be gone for 3 nights in September and I am afraid DH may lose his mind.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • So my guy has woken up twice now since we went down at 7pm screaming each time he wakes up. No temp or anything. His scream/cry almost sounds like he is in pain, but not sure from what. No more signs of teeth than normal and doesn't seem gassy or needing to burp (I've tried). He's also a regular pooper and usually does his business in the morning. Poor guy. He calms done after nursing but not sure what is up with the screaming wake ups. He ate well during the day and napped decent/regular for him.
  • @FarmBoysWife‌ I've tried giving DS a few minutes to settle himself and the kid is so damn stubborn. I don't think CIO will work for us, at least not yet. We are trying the crib every night and if he protests he's back in bed with me. He has at least stretched his wake times back to 3 hours instead of 1.5!
  • I think there's been more commiseration than CIO support. And even then its been more mild Ferber support than straight out CIO.

• @FarmBoysWife‌ I've never even attempted CIO. Don't think I will, but I guess never say never.
  • @FarmBoysWife we are ok with fuss-it-out, but we don't do CIO.  I also really like rocking my babies to sleep so I don't plan to stop that either. 
  • No CIO here for me either, @FarmBoysWife‌ my pedi recommended the Ferber method (she did it with her daughter) but when I read about it online I just knew I couldn't. I'm glad it works for others, and at times I wish I could, but it's just not for us, at least not right now.
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• @FarmBoysWife‌ no CIO here. We rock her until she's sleepy and wait until she settles herself and falls asleep on her own.
    She doesn't meltdown or cry much (she may be a unicorn) but when she does I'm in there picking her up.
    Our rule was if she cries pick her up from the start. Thankfully it resulted in a baby who doesn't cry much, except during her four month waking apparently lol.
  • We don't CIO either.  But I do think we're coming out of the sleep regression.  It was a long 5 weeks, but I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  Which means 2 wake ups for me instead of 5.

I hope the end of the tunnel comes soon for all of you.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• I'm about to put DS in the pnp for the first time in about 3 weeks. He's been sleeping in the mamaroo. Wish us luck; I have a feeling it's going to be a very very long night.

• @babycaps we tried the crib last night. He went to sleep with just a little crying at 8. He woke up at 9:30 and I nursed him, thinking maybe he'd then do a long stretch. I went to bed and my husband said he woke up at some point and he got him back down. He came to bed at 11:30 and the baby woke up. I tried getting him back down til 12 and gave up. He slept in the swing until 3, then with me the rest of the night. Getting him to sleep isn't the problem, it's getting him to stay asleep! 

• Oh and he hates the pacifier so there's that.

• My LO doesn't want to go to sleep... She fights it. Tried letting her cry, started at 3 min, then 4, then I just stayed at 4. She wasn't showing any signs of letting up. I could give her the paci and then she would immediately spit it out and cry. After about 50 min of me going in there every 3-4 min, I gave up. I picked her up. She was sweating. So I put her in a onsie instead of pjs and changed her diaper. Held her until she fell asleep. She should have 1 waking before I get her up at 6:50 (trying to get her routine started for her baby sitter! I have 1 1/2 weeks left!

Am I doing something wrong on letting her cry it out- or is she just not meant to CIO??!?
  • Every two hours since 7 over here. Eating, not just waking. She eats for like 10-15 minutes each time and like actively eats none of this slow comfort nursing. Ugh soooo tired it's unbelievable. The fourth month sucks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"