High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Cerclage VS Hydroxyprogesterone 5 weeks need advice **sorry no words 2nd try

twolfingtontwolfington member
edited July 2014 in High-Risk Pregnancy
Hello everyone, Has anyone had hydroxyprogesterone shots or a cervical cerclage or both? I had my DD at 27 weeks 11 years ago, and had a MC at 8 weeks 4 years ago. I went to talk to the doctor yesterday was my first appointment and she wants me to consider shots or cerclage. I have a good friend who had both with her first son and made it to 39 weeks and just the cerclage with her second son and made it to 37 weeks. I know I will do whatever the doctor wants. I originally thought the shots would be safer but idk about the medication and side effects. So I want to hear you stories. Thanks!

Re: Cerclage VS Hydroxyprogesterone 5 weeks need advice **sorry no words 2nd try

• Options
    Hi community I saw a lot of you clicked on my post but I just realized today that there was nothing written in it. I'm not sure how that happened but ok here's my story...for real this time lol.
  • Options
    Hi I also had a miscarriage back in December due to incompetent cervix and I am pregnant again. Going to talk to doc about cerclage and progesterone shots but as of now I am also not sure about anything but will do as the doc tells me. I have read a lot on cerclage and have heard and read a lot of success stories. I believe it's the best thing to take u far in pregnancy but ask the doc what she/he would do if they were in ur situation. I will keep u posted after my app on august 1st. How many weeks are u? Keep us posted on whatever u choose... Will help me in deciding. Thanks and lots of luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My son was born at 25 weeks 11 years ago due to IC.  Last year I was pregnant with my DD and got a cerclage at 13 weeks.  I decided to decline the P17 shots because my MFM said it wasn't conclusive whether they worked.  It is conclusive that preventative cerclages can help.  I carried my daughter to 38 weeks.  She was born two days after they clipped the cerclage string.  This pregnancy I got a cerclage again and decline the P17 shots.  My recommendation is to follow what your physician recommends.  Good luck and prayers you make it to full term 

• Options
    Hi Karam,

I am 5 weeks and do not have another appointment until 8 weeks. I also have a friend with 2 successful pregnancies after loosing their first at 22 weeks. She did shots and cerclage with 1st DS made it to 39 weeks, and then with 2nd DS did just cerclage and made it 37 weeks. She said it was not a big deal and went fast.
    My biggest concern was my doctor was kinda hesitant on the cerclage she said "it was scary to do the procudure" so I though well I'll someone else do the cerclage if I go that route which I'm leaning that way.

Caden - I'm so glad to hear your success story I gives me tremendous hope thank you for your prayers!!!
  • Options
    A cerclage can be a life saving procedure if you have an incompetent cervix, but if your preterm delivery was due to something else, it will not help, and is an unnecessary risk. Did you know 11 years ago that you had an incompetent cervix, or is it only recently that your doctor has brought it up? The only reason I ask is because it is difficult to diagnose without watching the cervix begin to dilate prematurely BEFORE contractions start. 

As for my experience, I had a preventative cerclage as well as oral progesterone during my last pregnancy, and I carried to term. I am hoping for the same outcome this time.
  • Options
    Hi lilynblue,

When I went into preterm labor last time I was indeed dilated 3 centimeters before I started contracting. After all was said and done 11 years ago I remember the doctor telling me I had a weaken cervix not incompetent so I wonder if the term has changed or if this was something different. My next doc appointment is in 4 weeks so we shall see what she's says.
  • Options
    Typically with cervical incompetence dialation starts 18-22 weeks, so maybe the fact that you made it to 27 weeks before dilating, is why he referred to it as weak vs incompetent. Hopefully your doctor has a good plan set up for you. I wouldn't hesitate to do a preventative cerclag,e if I were in your position, and the doctor recommended it. Good luck with your pregnancy. 
  • Options
    Thank you!! I'm feeling pretty confident about this one and I'm trying my best to stay positive no matter what happens. I'm pretty sure I'm leaning towards a cervical cerclage and that'll most likely be my decision. I just need to see what my doctor thinks here in a four weeks. So for now I'm just gonna try and be calm....easier said then done right ;-).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"