Cloth Diapering
Options

Fleece vs Wool and recommendations

My 2.5 year old son is a heavy wetter and sleeps at minimum 14 hours at night. We've been using Kawaii's Goodnight Heavy Wetter diapers with two microfibers and a Thirsties Hemp insert. It's no longer working. :-(

I've been wondering if fleece is a good option. I like the idea of just throwing it in the wash with the rest of the CDers and not worrying and like their cost better. Or am I fighting the inevitable and should just buy wool?

Any recommendations of brands would be great too. Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Fleece vs Wool and recommendations

• Options
    I would say if you're not itching to get into wool you've got other options. Right now you're using 2MF and a hemp, which is plenty of absorbency for some but for heavy wetters it really isn't that absorbent, especially considering compression leaks. You could try a good bamboo fitted with a coverall, or even try some better hemp. If I didn't need all of the side absorbency of a fitted for my heavy wetter, I could get by at night with two Geffen baby super absorbers plus stuffed into a pocket.
  • Options
    What do you mean by fleece? There's fleece made from natural fibers and fleece made from synthetic fibers ...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are you talking about changing covers? You need more absorbency. A different cover isn't going to totally solve your problem.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married 10/24/09
    DS 4/2/13
  • Options
    mrshudson618mrshudson618 member
    edited July 2014
    I agree, you need to try more absorbency, not just a different cover. We were using kawaii GNHW with two hemp and a MF and that wasn't enough.

We switched to a prefold with a hemp doubler and that is much more absorbent than the MF+hemp combo in a pocket.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Ugh! Sorry I didn't make that clear...

I'm taking about ADDING a coverall (fleece or wool) to go over our current pocket diapers. We've never used a diaper cover.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Fleece or wool soakers are generally used over big fitted diapers for overnight. You need to have a diaper under the soaker that has enough absorbency for the night. Both fleece and wool soakers work by directing the moisture back into the absorbent diaper. Wool can also absorb some extra urine if the diaper becomes saturated, but fleece will not. Extra urine will go right through the fleece and onto pjs and bedding. Wool over a pocket might be able to catch the extra and prevent wet sheets, but it's not a very breathable combination over a pocket. I still think your best bet for nighttime dryness is looking into increasing your absorbency, either by what you're stuffing with, or by trying a fitted either with a PUL cover or wool/fleece soaker.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"