Working Moms

WWYD: Mother's Room Availability

I've been back to work for going on 4 weeks now, and without really trying actually settled into a pretty decent pumping schedule at the office with the other moms.  The past week, though, it seems like there's someone new in the Mother's Room room rotation who is in there for-ev-er...pushing an hour plus at a time.  I know everyone's different, and some people need more time than others, but it's totally thrown me off.  How do I approach it?  Do I just suck it up and deal with it?

Re: WWYD: Mother's Room Availability

• shannmshannm member
    If she is truly taking that long, I would reach out to her and see if she would be willing to make a schedule.
    I hated the idea if a schedule because my job was not flexible in that sense but if someone is really taking up that much time, you might need one. Or if possible, find another nearby that isn't as popular?
  • I feel your pain.  With my second child, the pump room was ALWAYS full when I needed to use it, despite there being three stalls.  So it was either stand around and wait for 30 minutes or trek all the way back to my desk (it was a 5-10 minute trip involving multiple elevators) and try again later.  I suggested a schedule, HR and most of the other users shot it down because they didn't want to be tied to the schedule.  I finally had to adjust my schedule just so I could get some time in there.  No advice, but good luck!
    Mom to Frances, 6, Adam, 4, and baby Lila.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have to disagree with the pp who said that no one needs to pump for more than 30 minutes. With my first, I had a lot of milk so I regularly needed 45 minutes just to empty. More if I had skipped a session or went extra long between sessions. So, with setup and tear down I was in there for 50 minutes three times a day. With my second kid I was done in 15 minutes every time. 

Also, the two companies that I have worked at while pumping have both had a "wellness" room that could be used for more than just pumping. People would often use the room to lay down if they had a migraine or something.

So, if it were me, I would assume that the person was legitimately using the room and would find someplace else to pump. You have no more right to it than she does. I often pumped in my car or a near by coffee shop or an empty office if the wellness room was occupied and I just couldn't wait for some reason. 
  • thanks for the input, everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"