Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Help! I can't take bedtime anymore!

court1703court1703 member
edited July 2014 in Toddlers: 24 Months+
About two months ago we moved our DDs into the same room to make room for when DS arrives. I knew it would take some getting used to. But I didn't expect this! Two months later whether it's nap time or bed time they don't go to sleep until 2-3 hours after we have put them to bed. During this time they are pulling down the blinds. ( they have gone through 2 sets and I'm not getting more till they stop this. I just keep repairing these ones) They have broke their hamper into pieces. We have to lock the closet otherwise they pull everything out. They turn the lights, their fan, and their AC on and off. (They have a little window unit right now because our air is broke.)They pull down the baby monitor and play with it. Plus they do the normal talking, jumping on the bed, giggling, crying, screaming, playing, etc. I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff! I have tried everything I can think of. Taking stuff away. Either things right there with them like stuffed animals or privileges and things to do in the future. I have tried rewarding and praising them the couple of times they have been good and went to sleep fairly quickly. (Within 20 minutes or so) We've tried being calm and raising our voices. We've even tried not talking to them at all and just putting them back to bed. We don't like to spank but we've even tried that. None of it seems to make the least amount of a difference. Any advice or "I've been there it does end eventually" etc? I mean it's so bad that we are now looking for 4 bedroom houses! Sorry it kind of turned into a vent. But there are days when it brings me to tears. Edit to fix typo
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Help! I can't take bedtime anymore!

• Options
    shannmshannm member
    Can your 2 yo go back in a crib or will she climb out? Is your four year old usually this defiant? If not, can you get her on board in terms of helping her little sister get some sleep?
  • Options
    They started out room sharing with her in the crib. But the 4 year old coached her into learning to climb out of her crib. And also to climb gates. So we switched to a toddler bed for safety concerns. It's hard to say who it is each time. I don't always catch them in the act. Most of the time it tends to be the 2year old now. At times I have noticed the 4 year old telling the 2 year old to do the naughty stuff. Neither are normally this bad. They will do something naughty a couple times and be done.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Put the 2 year old to bed first, let the 4 year old have a little later bed time and tell her she has to be very quiet and don't wake sibling and make consequences for if the older one wakes the younger one.  Hope this helps

• Options
    shannmshannm member
    Takaya said:

Put the 2 year old to bed first, let the 4 year old have a little later bed time and tell her she has to be very quiet and don't wake sibling and make consequences for if the older one wakes the younger one.  Hope this helps

Yeah, this is what I would try.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! It seems to be working so far. Haven't got the first one to bed when I would have liked to yet. Which of course means the 4 year old is up later than I would like. Takes the two year old about an hour to get to sleep. But no destruction. The 4 year old went quietly last night but got into some trouble. Tonight she screamed and cried. Some how didn't wake up the younger one. I haven't done this at nap time. Not sure how well it would work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"