Special Needs

Family relatives in SPED

We are an awesome board! We post questions and receive advice, that is what makes a good support system.

I have an Aunt who has taught special ed for 20 some odd years in Texas. I would seek guidance from her but I think we are okay being advocates for DS.

My female 1st cousin married a man (he is my cousin, also, in this case) who became a special ed teacher with a masters and is well on his way to being a BCBA Phd in Florida.

I just don't have it in me to ask my cousin for help because I feel DS's needs are too much and he is too far away to do any help. I have befriended a ABA lead therapist that worked with DS and can text her any time with a small question here or there.

Do any of you seek guidance in your families that are professionals to help your DC?

TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Family relatives in SPED

• My uncle is a SPED teacher.  I went to him when we began to transition to the school district.  He had some great insight into how all of that worked, and what DH and I should do in order to show we were team players and advocates.  I would go back to him in a heartbeat if I had any other questions about SPED related issues.

However, I have not, and probably will not seek advice for him about Lily's particular diagnoses.  For that, I go to my friends who also have children with special needs.

image      image      image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"