May 2013 Moms
Options

Anyone else been there? (fertility/fibroid issues)

So I had a pretty big fibroid when I was pregnant with HC, and it's still in there.

I have ultrasounds every 6 months to check on it, but I've been having REALLY heavy bleeding during my periods (like miss work bad) and some pain, so they wanted me to come in for an ultrasound this week. The fibroid has actually grown a little, and they want to remove it. They are going to schedule a pelvic MRI and saline ultrasound sometime next month to get a better look at it and come up with a game plan for removal. My OB is hoping it can be removed vaginally through hysteroscopy, but there's a chance they may not be able to take it out without damaging my uterus. I eventually will have to have a hysterectomy, but we are going to be trying embryo adoption soon, so I'm really hoping they can keep my uterus in good shape.

It's all just hypothetical right now, but has anyone else been through anything similar? Any words of wisdom?
Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
3 failed matches in 2012.
Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
Began researching EA in 2014.
No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

Re: Anyone else been there? (fertility/fibroid issues)

• Options
    I've had polyps removed, not fibroids, and it wasn't a big deal. I didn't even use the pain meds they offered. I also had a few chunks of scar tissue removed, and 3 D&C's.

If they remove them vaginally, the only sucky part is that they have to dialte you. If your pain tolerance is low, take the meds. Its not pleasant.

Good luck and I hope you get some answers.
    http://oi58.tinypic.com/nqv6fk.jpg

DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    I should add I've had 6 hysteroscopies. But only a few were surgical.
    http://oi58.tinypic.com/nqv6fk.jpg

DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ugh, so sorry. I hope that everything works out for the best. The embryo adoption is probably something you are looking forward to. I hope all of this doesn't impact that.
  • Options
    No advice but just good luck.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    No experience, just wanted to say good luck
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. We do have a back-up plan of foster/adoption, but embryo adoption will be our last chance for a baby. Due to our previous experiences, we will never go through private adoption again. We would love to have another baby, but we'll be okay if it doesn't happen for us. We are so blessed just to have HC.

• Options
    Yeah, my doctors know all about the embryo adoption stuff. That's why they are doing all the extra testing to figure out the best method for removal.

• Options
    I had a fibroid that was discovered when I was pregnant with W but I don't have any experience beyond that. I just wanted you to know that I hope your doctors find a way to allow you to move forward with the embryo adoption.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm sorry you are dealing with this.  I had two large fibroids that were found during pregnancy as well but luckily they are in a location that will not affect getting/staying pregnant.  They mentioned removing them but said it wan't necessary unless I wanted to.  I don't have any advice but wanted to wish you well.

BabyFruit Ticker  

Little West #1: Born May 23, 2013

Little West #2: Due April 15, 2015

2U2 Fossil Mommy

• Options
    No advice, but wishing you luck.

PS Jana is that you?  Did you change sns?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I may be able to add some color on the topic.  I was diagnosed with a fibroid a few years ago, but when they tried to remove it via hysteroscopy they could not find it.  So, I got pregnant and lost the pregnancy around 8 weeks.  At my follow-up (with a reproductive endocrinologist), they found that the fibroid had grown even more and was now intramural (both internal and external to the uterus).  I ended up having a myomectomy.  Thankfully, I got pregnant about six months after the myomectomy and now have a happy, healthy 14 month old daughter.  There's no reason to have a hysterectomy unless you are in significant pain.  The used to suggest hysterectomy for fibroids, but that is not the common treatment these days.  Keep in mind, too, that if you need a myomectomy, try to find a doctor that specializes in them.  The best surgeons will be focused on preserving your reproductive options and will be as conservative as needed.
  • Options
    BananaLettuceBananaLettuce member
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for your experiences everyone.

I've always known I would have a prophylactic hysterectomy and double mastectomy because of my LFS and cancer risks. We are on a time crunch with EA because of the recommended age for removal for someone with my family's cancer history. I can't have laparoscopic with the morcellation done because of the cancer risks involved, and she prefers not to cut into my uterus because I would need to wait another year for it to heal before we began the EA process.

It's just a lot of special circumstances.

My choice is that if they get in there and see it can't be removed without damaging the uterus that they just go ahead and take it out.

• Options
    smg2302 said:
    No advice, but wishing you luck.

PS Jana is that you?  Did you change sns?
    'Tis I. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"