December 2013 Moms

Parenting Book Recommendations

edited July 2014 in December 2013 Moms
I doubt I will have much time to read once LO is here, so please let me know if there are any books you recommend reading pre-arrival!  Thus far all I have are:
  • Bringing up Bebe: One American Woman Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting 
  • Bebe Day by Day.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

Re: Parenting Book Recommendations

• The one I used a lot was mayo clinic guide to baby's 1st year. I used it religiously the 1st 3 months and now use it from time to time to look up things.

• Not sure what your thoughts are on sleep training. I liked "Healthy Sleeping Habits, Happy Child" (Weissbluth)

I also am using the Mayo clinic Guide to baby's first year and what to expect: the first year
  • Loading the player...
  • Ahh yes, Happiest Baby on the Block is a must - great book! And @Yez9‌ this one has nothing to do with sleep training, it's all about calming techniques.
  • Secrets of the Baby Whisperer was helpful in the beginning, especially for understanding baby temperament and feeding and sleeping patterns. Healthy Sleep Habits Healthy Child was helpful too, except that ever other page had a caveat about 'if you have a terribly colicky and screamy baby who doesn't sleep, this may not work for you' and we had the most colicky, screamy baby ever. I'm reading Parenting with Love and Logic now...it's ok. I didn't expect the biblical and religious overtones, and I think some of the techniques need to be adapted for kids/teenagers with different temperaments, e.g. more emphasis on validating emotions before removing a crying child or giving one-word answers to a persistent teenager. Hope that helps!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks, all!  I haven't even considered the sleep training books yet. Will definitely purchase some of the recommendations! 
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• With DS1, we got a lot out of the Happiest Baby on the Block and the Baby Whisperer. They were both good for that colicky time. We had good luck with the techniques in both books. I also liked What to Expect the First Year and Baby 411 as references.

• Eat Sleep Poop is really good and it has rec's and what to do when your baby is sick.
  • The baby whisperer is the only baby book I read (nearly) cover to cover. The Eat Activity Sleep cycle was a lifesaver.
  • Instead of the book, I got the Happiest Baby on The Block instant video from Amazon. It's pretty short, comprehensive, and allowed me to force it upon DH. It totally helped us.
  • [Are you planning to BF? Because the La Leche book "Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" was my midnight bible for the first month. Not so much a parenting book, but still. I loved Bringing Up Bebe.]
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • I agree about a BF book if you are planning to nurse. I found the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding to be geared towards SAHM. It lacked resources for going back to work and pumping and bottle feeding so I went with The Nursing Moms Companion by Kathleen Huggins instead. My husband spent some time reading it as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"