October 2013 Moms
Options

Meals?

Hi everyone, My son is about to turn 10 months next week and I'm just wondering what you are all feeding your little ones for their meals.  He has yet to dislike a food, but I'm petrified about giving him finger foods!  He's done puffs, and small pieces of fruit, but I'm so much more comfortable giving him pureed up food/baby food.  I know he will be OK and will gum it but just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?  

Also, how do you send food along for daycare once they are off bottles and really dependent on food?  

Thanks for any info!
BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Meals?

• Options

I have only just gotten comfortable with finger foods in the past couple weeks. It took me a long time too. They did a lot of gagging and spitting up in the beginning but then all of a sudden they seemed to 'get it' and now they are doing well and love it. I will give them whatever soft, mashable food we have on hand. Our problem is that we don't usually have a lot of decent food in the house and don't eat dinner until after they've gone to bed. They've had shredded or ground beef, chicken and pulled pork, baked haddock, a variety of steamed or stewed veggies, breads, softer fruits like watermelon.

One of the things we had good luck with early on was scrambled eggs. You can make them big enough for them to pick up but they are very soft and mushy in the mouth, so they never gagged on them. Their problem right now is that if I put more than one piece on their tray at a time, they shove everything in their mouth and then gag on it, so I have to give it to them one piece at a time, which takes forever. Often if I'm unsure if a particular food is soft enough, I'll put a piece in my mouth and see how well I can mash it without using my teeth. If it falls apart easily with my tongue, I assume its fine for them.

image4months_2radioflyer
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thank you!  This is helpful. Good idea about scrambled eggs.  My guy is the same way, he puts it all in his mouth so I have to do one piece at a time on his tray.  We are also in the same boat with our dinner time, as we eat after he goes to bed.  I just stocked up on some fruits, veggies, ground Turkey that he can eat.  I just try to tell myself that he's not going to be 13 years old, still eating pureed foods, right!!?!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD has recently decided she hates purees, so we have been giving her more solid food.  We also have had good luck with eggs.  We have started giving her what we have been eating, which is typically a protein and a vegetable.  I cut it in ridiculously small pieces, because I am still paranoid.  She still does a lot of gagging, which makes me nervous.  Last night she had salmon and squash and did pretty well with it.  

BFP: 1.19.2013 - EDD: 10.2.2013 - It's a girl! 9.25.13: Welcome Addison!

• Options
    We started with small stuff like mashed potatoes. Now he loves french fries, bread, mac and cheese, some chicken, and cheese. We usually just give him something from our plate when we eat dinner. Plus he still gets the purees/baby food.
  • Options
    Im the opposite, really small things scream choking hazard to me so Ive always cut things in strips.  He eats anything and everything now (seafood,all meat, nuts, eggs, bread)  but in the beginning I did green beans whole, fruit in wedges (pears and peaches are pretty soft) strips of chicken or steak and bread (I spread almond butter on it).  I also puree food into pouches just for convenience.  I don't do daycare so Im no help there.
    image  image
    Baby Muffy Due July.8.2015!

• Options
    I say just give him whatever you're eating.  I'd stay away from certain foods, such as but not limited to ghost peppers, whole grapes and hotdogs, and popcorn.  Other than that, go for it.

• Options
    My LO never liked purees, so we went straight to solid food.  He eats what we eat, but I just tear up little pieces for him to grab (kitchen scissors are used a lot around here!).  Literally anything.  His daycare provided the solid food, they feed the babies the same food the bigger kids get, just in little pieces, so this is how I've gotten comfortable with it.  Eggs, pancakes, toast, fruit, sausage, chicken nuggets, chicken breasts, all veggies, pulled pork, potatoes, lasagna, spaghetti, soup (with crackers so he can grab), hummus with crackers, hamburger, tacos...just to name a few ideas for you.  He also likes water, he'll drink from a sippy but I like to give him little sips here and there from a straw (siphon and hold the water into the straw with your finger, release to give a sip).  

He has one little tooth that is good for nothing!

imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    Our Pedi said no eggs until 1 year...so I would check on that first.

I've had luck with all fruits and steamed veggies. Watermelon is a fav of DD. I also give her string cheese and cheese slices, toast with butter or peanut butter (we have no allergies in our family so Pedi ok'd PB for her early). Yogurt (I do greek because it has WAY less added sugar). Recently I have given her lunch meat, which she loves. She also loves hotdogs...a lot. Last night she ate an entire banana and hot dog. Every once in a while she will still gag on something, but mostly she spits it out if shes taken too much. Filled pasta is really easy for them too and easy to cook.

Also - I have gone off puffs and give her pirates booty now...which she loves as a snack food. And my go to when we are out is soup. She loves all kinda of soup and usually everything is really mushy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"