November 2014 Moms
Options

Shower Etiquette WWYD?

I'm in a tough position regarding 1 person on my guest list. It's my BIL's maybe/baby-mama.

Long story short: I don't like her, she doesn't like me. Their first baby-we don't even know if it is my bil's & they say they had paternity testing, but NOBODY has seen the results. They're ku again, due September. I haven't heard anything about a shower for them -- there wasn't one for the first.

I feel awkward inviting her, but I think it'll be just as awkward if I don't. I feel like if she comes she'll be more jealous of all my gifts. But I also feel she'll make a big deal if she isn't invited.

WWYD? Suck it up & invite her or don't invite her?

From dh, he doesn't care. His relationship with his brother is already strained and he is camp idgaf if we piss them off or not.

BFP#4 3/17/14 - rainbow Baby BOY arrived 11/10/14 !!

DX: Uterine Septum - Resection 9/5/13 || MTHFR Hetero A1298C || My Chart

image    image

Re: Shower Etiquette WWYD?

• Options
    If your DH has a strained relationship with BIL, I probably wouldn't invite her.  The only thing would be if that would make the relationship even worse for the two of them. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My gut reaction based onwhat you said is don't invite, butI know things with family can be complicated. Is there another family memberyou could ask for advice like MIL?
  • Options
    KMW08KMW08 member
    My family is hosting. She does come to all my IL's family functions, so it would be a definite obvious snub.

I never got a story, but she nor bil invited us to the 1st baby's 1st bday party. I don't know if invites were sent or if it was just word of mouth.We knew of it because of my mil & my mil was a bit pissed that dh didn't at least show up, we sent a gift with my IL's. Never got a thank you either.

I'm not sure how it would further affect the family dynamic between dh & his brother.

I think talking to my mil, my mom and more with dh would is a good idea.

I just feel damned if I do, damned if I don't.

image    image

• Options
    It occurred to me reading this that I might have a similar situation with my brother's baby mama. If it were up to me I wouldn't invite her (not because I don't like her but because I don't really know her well and it would be awkward), but I'm not the one throwing the shower…who is the actual host of your shower? Maybe they should make the final decision and then its not you who is responsible? Or maybe it doesn't work like that. I'm a FTM so I'm still not sure of the rules.
    TTC 3/2012; IUI 2/26/14; EDD 11/23/14; DD born 11/21/14!!!
  • Options
    If I knew her not being there would cause family tension I would probably just suck it up and invite her.  Just try to separate yourself from the fact that she's there, be civil and leave it at that.  I'd rather have her there than have her or MIL hold it over my head in the future.

• Options
    I would invite her, and then leave the proverbial ball in her court. She would decide if she was comfortable coming, and in the future she might think twice about excluding you and your H from family occasions.
  • Options
    jj0313jj0313 member
    I don't know if you should invite her or not but wanted to say if your BIL says the baby is his and they had paternity tests done the case is closed. It's absolutely none of your or anyone else in the family's business to see the results. You are entitled to nothing more than his word.
  • Options

If it would be an obvious snub, I would invite her. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I never think that excluding family (I know she's questionably in this category) is a good idea. Especially if she comes to all other events at your ILs'. 

This.

You're assuming she would be jealous of you. Maybe she doesn't give a rats ass. Try not to be so proud of yourself and assume that others are jealous. If she had one baby already then unless she got rid of her stuff she wouldn't need it now. It's not an option for us to exclude family. If they don't show up, that's their decision. But everyone is invited. Even family that may not be particularly liked.
    TTC #2: 12/2012
    Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
    BFP #5 3/5/14
    Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The passive aggressive way to go would be to send the invite to her really late... She would still be invited but may already have plans. But unless you have a solid reason for not inviting her, I don't really see what the big deal is to ask her to come
    TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
    1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
    10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
    3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
  • Options
    KMW08KMW08 member

If it would be an obvious snub, I would invite her. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I never think that excluding family (I know she's questionably in this category) is a good idea. Especially if she comes to all other events at your ILs'. 

This.

You're assuming she would be jealous of you. Maybe she doesn't give a rats ass. Try not to be so proud of yourself and assume that others are jealous. If she had one baby already then unless she got rid of her stuff she wouldn't need it now. It's not an option for us to exclude family. If they don't show up, that's their decision. But everyone is invited. Even family that may not be particularly liked.
    I hope what's bolded is true. I know better though *sigh* and for the record, she's not family. She might be who my bil chooses, but until she gets divorced & her and bil get married, she's not family.

I know I sound incredibly bitchy towards her but I strongly dislike her. She's done/said some pretty hateful stuff to me and admitted to my mil she did what I said. And although I don't seem very polite towards her on here, I'm actually very civil in person.

image    image

• Options
    I vote invite her and be the bigger woman. This olive branch may help DH and his brother begin to repair their relationship.
  • Options
    First off, your post kind of rubs me the wrong way. No matter how horrible this woman is, her and BIL don't owe the family a hard copied paternity test. Secondly, the fact you say she won't be family until they are married is kind of an insult to people with domestic partners or have otherwise chosen to not get married. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way -- it sounds like you have a lot of animosity toward her -- but remember how things can be taken. 

I would honestly just invite her. There will be plenty of other people to pay attention to. If she's rude to you, ignore her and move on. Unless she's going to do something completely off the wall and ruin the party, be the bigger person. 

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    It sounds like from your description that your ILs do see her as a member of their family if she is invited to all the gatherings and attends. So, you can either stand on the justification of how "right" you feel or you could perhaps take the high road and not add more fuel to this fire by including her. Who knows, she may not even attend.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KMW08KMW08 member

What are the reasons TO invite her? Why do you feel obligated? There's obviously a large con column, what is in the pro column that you're thinking outweighs that all? 

The pro column is just to be a bigger person and to try not to cause any further dysfunctional family relations.

My IL's invite everyone to all functions. She & bil live together, so she's his +1 and is just invited for his sake. That's the honest truth, my IL's try to play fair but they're not the happiest with her or my bil either.

As for the paternity, my bil really brought that on himself. He claimed for the first few months the baby wasn't his. Then they moved in together & have been living together since she was 7mos pg with the 1st baby. It's been a giant clusterfluck from the start. In my state (MO) you can name your child whatever floats your boat, but because she's married-the birth certificate says unknown on who the father is. BIL was adamant he wanted the birth cert to say his name to have rights - so he was gung-ho on the paternity test--it has to be done to change the birth cert. We (as in dh & my IL's) believe it wasn't done, or it was and bil isn't the father but wanted to continue raising the baby. We are really fine with whatever option - it's not the baby's fault, but everybody would like to know the truth. We understand we have no right to the information & they don't owe it to anybody. But after the whole hoop-la if it were me, I'd be rubbing that bitch(paternity proof) in all of our faces. Maybe I'm just a bigger bitch LOL.

@absolutelymaybe‌ definitely not how I meant the married thing to come across. Even if they get married I don't think I will ever call or refer to her as family. If I do, it'll be YEARS down the road. So yes, I worded that poorly above.

image    image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"