February 2013 Moms
Options

Am I using care.com wrong?

When M was 4 months old, I was teaching a couple summer courses and hired a baby-sitter on care.com.  Someone DH knew had interviewed her and she was their 2nd choice for a full time nanny but they hired a gym teacher for their athletic kids instead.  I think we exchanged a few messages and she said she wanted to meet in public, so I brought the baby and we had coffee.  She worked out great and got a job teaching 2nd grade so left us at the end of the summer.  I identified a couple other people and just asked them to come over to interview.  I would have them talk to me, play with M while I worked in another room for an hour, and then pay them for the hour.  This worked, and I felt like I got a handle on how they interacted with M.  We had a great college student for a year and then she graduated.  

Now I am 31 weeks pregnant and I can barely move, and really need some help.  I send out a message to a new student every few days and have been doing this since the beginning of the summer.  In my initial email I explain M's age, what I need, etc.  The people always reply right away and say, call me if you would like.  I email back and ask if they would like to interview at our house or at a coffeeshop and suggest a few times that would work for us.  I rarely hear back.  If I do hear back, the person will come and accept the job and then is kind of flaky or just seems uninterested after sitting for us a few times.  I can understand the latter case--M is a handful, I'm around sometimes (which can be uncomfortable), our house is messy, etc.  But why does no one even want to meet up to interview?  I guess I can call people if they expect that, but it's just really hard to do with M being all phone obsessed and I don't feel I get anything from it.  What am I doing wrong?

Re: Am I using care.com wrong?

• Options
    Good help is hard to find. It's not your fault. I am on my third mother's-helper this year and it has been a rocky road! Advertising seems only to bring out the crazy or those in search of "easy money" - which watching a toddler is not.

Do you have any sitting services in your area? They have reliable standards, and if it's only a few hours a week the increased cost is worth it for the reliability.

Alternatively, do you know any moms of school-age kids who don't work outside the home and might like to make a little extra once school starts back? They are unlikely to advertise but very likely to be better help than your average college kid. If you have friends with older kids ask if anyone they know might fit the bill.

Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Indeed it is hard to find people who are good.  I have actually hired people who are clearly not very experienced with babies just because I figure that if I am home, things can't get that out of hand.  I will check into services.  We don't know too many people here, or I'm sure some other options would arise.  

DH says it is creepy to volunteer to meet at a coffeeshop and that these students will think I am a man trying to date them...but that is what our first nanny suggested.  I think it is more creepy to suggest only our house because then they don't know exactly what they're walking into.  I suppose talking on the phone is less creepy, but I just wondered if creepiness is likely the problem or if maybe I just need to contact more people or try something else entirely.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No advice, just wanted to say that you're not alone!  I'm going through the exact same thing and I'm STRESSED OUT.  I really need to find some help soon!  I had great luck with care.com when we lived in Boston - hired two great sitters after interviewing several candidates who were all fantastic and would probably have been great for the job.  I just moved to South Florida, and I'm trying to find a sitter/backup care provider to daycare, and it is like pulling teeth.  I've had 39 applicants for the job, but of the 7-10 whom I'm really interested in getting to know more, they either won't answer their phones, or tell me on the phone that they don't have a car or means of transport (my ad specifically says they need to have their own transportation and be able to do daycare pickups), etc. etc.  I've made appointments to interview 3 sitters at my home, and only one has shown up.  I'm at my wit's end!  I'll send you tons of "find a great sitter" vibes :)
    DS born February 5, 2013

Need tips for surviving cat allergies? Check out my bio! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"