November 2014 Moms

Re: Baby breathing monitor?

• I'm getting a snuza too. It's at the top of my list for most important things to have. SIDS scares the hell out of me.

Married:  08.17.2013
    Sweet Angel Baby: 02.01.2014
    Emerson Shay:  10:28:2014
    Two Fur Babies:  Talli Mae and Lexi

• Loading the player...
  • I'm also getting a snuza. I didn't have one with N and I was super paranoid. Wish I did have one.
  • I was going to register for something similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Angelcare-Movement-Sound-Monitor-White/dp/B00GU07FLQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1406406790&sr=8-5&keywords=Breathing+monitor+baby I've heard good things about them and the peace of mind will be worth a million bucks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited July 2014
    I loved my Snuza Go and just got the Snuza Hero for $50 on Amazon (it was on super ridiculous sale, most likely because Snuza has been bought by Levana). Best purchase I made for peace of mind along with the Motorola 3.5 in video monitor. We also have the Angelcare -- used it sporadically. WAY more false alarms with that than the Snuza.

Me: 42, DH: 40; Surprise BFP 4/27/2011; no heartbeat at 9w3d, we miss you, Baby Manatee; D&C 6/1/2011; AF returned 6/26/2011; Ready to try for our take-home baby. 7/24/2011--BFP! Peanut born March 2012; BFP: 7/31/2013!; blighted ovum at 7 weeks 8/26/2013. Holy Cannoli! BFP 2/23/2014. EDD 11/6/2014!  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I have a snuza for this baby. Bc we use a RNP for awhile he angel care wouldn't work. And I had friends with angel care and they had tons of false alarms so I feel like it's going to happen either way.
    TTC #2: 12/2012
    Back to our beloved RE 10/2013
    BFP #5 3/5/14
    Beta 1: 47. Beta 2: 87. Beta 3: 482!

Baby CCH v2.0 due 11.14.14

• I bought the Angel Care.  I fnever remembered to turn the sensors on when I put him in the crib and the couple times I did, I forgot to turn the damn things off when I took him out and then the alarm would go off cause clearly there's no movement with no baby in the crib so I didn't end up ever using the sensors and when we moved when he was ~5 months old, I didn't even put them in the crib and just used the sound monitor part of the system from that point on.

Photobucket
    married bio

Expecting #2.  Nov. 2014
  • A good friend on mine has the angelcare and she has gotten so many false alarms and it always wakes her little guy up. I think I'll be going with the snuza :) I've heard better things about them.
  • We have the angel care. As DD got older and began to like sleeping toward one end we got a few false alarms. We just moved the sensor and haven't had any more problems. They also sell a set that comes with two sensor pads. We will be purchasing a second one for this LO.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've never heard of any of these! Is this in lieu of a traditional monitor or should you still have both? Also which snuza saw there are a bunch
  • I've never heard of any of these! Is this in lieu of a traditional monitor or should you still have both? Also which snuza saw there are a bunch

I believe the angelcare comes with both while the snuza you still need a normal monitor. I'm getting the snuza hero. It vibrates after 15 seconds of no movement and it does that 3 times before an alarm goes off. The snuza go just jumps right to the alarm.
  • Off to google snuza......

Nov. '14 January Siggy : Work Sucks!

Me 32-DH 38

Married July 14, 2007  ----- TTC # 1 October 1, 2013
    BFP   March 7, 2014  -----  EDD November 17, 2014 ---- Baby boy born November 16, 2014

• I'm getting a Snoza as well. The comments on amazon where it saved their babies convinced me pretty quick!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm torn on this. I've read great things about the snuza, but the AAP's safe sleep and SIDS reduction guidelines say, "Do not use home monitors or commercial devices marketed to reduce the risk of SIDS." 

I wonder why? All the other recommendations make sense to me. I'll have to ask the ped about this, but I think I'd like the piece of mind. 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• I read in "Baby Bargains" to forgo the monitors because of the false alarms and the anxiety that causes (not to mention sleep loss).  But, I'm getting one anyway.  'The Books' tell you to avoid using dopplers too, but my doppler was the best $50 I've spent so far during this pregnancy - it really helped calm my crazy before I could feel her move.  I think my overactive imagination will fuel more anxiety than some false alarms. I have not decided on which brand to purchase/register for yet.

My fur-babies Chuck Norris, Stella, and Lucy
    imageimageimage

BFP #1 1/4/14; EDD 9/16/14;  mc 1/17/14 
    BFP #2 3/12/14; baby girl born 11/21/14          
  • dmo1371 said:
    I'm torn on this. I've read great things about the snuza, but the AAP's safe sleep and SIDS reduction guidelines say, "Do not use home monitors or commercial devices marketed to reduce the risk of SIDS." 

I wonder why? All the other recommendations make sense to me. I'll have to ask the ped about this, but I think I'd like the piece of mind. 

I think they more mean things that hold babies in place (positioners). The angelcare goes under the mattress so there is no way that could harm a baby. The snuza attaches to the diaper, which will be under clothing and won't cause a risk of snagging on things. I have no experience with any other monitors though.
  • lizzielu82lizzielu82 member
    edited July 2014
    This one is set to come on the market right when our babies are due. I think it looks pretty awesome: https://www.owletcare.com
    imageimage
  • I loved our Angel Care for #1.  We had very few false alarms (one or two?)   Those who have had lots should have turned up the sensitivity!  The device makes allowances for that. 

And...  it helped me sleep BETTER.  Before we started using it we would automatically wake up to check to see if she was breathing several times a night.   Once we started using the monitor, we slept well.  We trusted the machine to do its job and let us know if there was a problem.  We loved that thing!

We might just dust it off and use it for this baby.  Or I am also considering a Snuza (or equivalent.)  I like that it can be used in the car and stroller and wherever.   The only thing I don't like is that the Snuza seems to have battery issues.  (It doesn't use standard batteries and they seem to die often.)  
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• ColtiersMomColtiersMom member
    edited July 2014
    We used the angelcare monitor with our son and plan to do the same this time. We only had one false alarm and it was because he rolled to far away from the detector for his heartbeat and breath sounds to be monitored.
  • mb314mb314 member
    We had the snuza...DH was insistent about it. He was militant about using it too. The only false alarms were due to LO rolling around and it coming loose or falling off. Amazingly, it didn't wake LO up! It's loud!! We will definitely use it with LO2.
    Looks like I'm in the minority. We didn't use one with DS and don't plan on using one with DS2.  I find them unnecessary, as the baby will sleep with us, in a co-sleeper, which reduces the threat of SIDS.  I will take all SIDS precausions (nothing in the bed, sleeping on back, using a pacifier after 4 weeks, sleeping near to us, breastfeeding, not smoking, etc), and I think these monitors are more trouble than their worth. 

• GREAT thread - I hadnt thought about this!  For those registering or who own the Snuza, any thoughts/ comments on the original vs the version with the camera???  
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD 11.16.14 :)
  • I had initially registered for the angelcare monitor because a coworker suggested it. After reading this thread and finding out about the Snuza, I changed my registry. When I come back to work, my mom will be watching LO and he will be doing most of his sleeping in the bassinet of the PNP. The regular bassinet and nursery are both upstairs and my mom doesn't do well with stairs. I figure the Snuza will be able to be wherever LO is and will ease both of our minds.
  • emoxymooseemoxymoose member
    edited July 2014

@lizzielu82 - That thing looks awesome! Unfortunately, I'm not super attached to my phone and it costs $250!

ETA: For those of you getting a Snuza - which is better the Go or the Hero Version?

Pregnancy Ticker

• Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm looking at the labour day sales, and have a question.

Since the Angelcare pad has to go under the mattress, does that mean you can't use it with a PnP? LO won't be in a crib at the very beginning, so I want something I can actually use...

@danigirl830‌ did you ever get feedback on your choice? I think it looks pretty good, since it comes with the video monitor and the snuza hero, but I'm a newbie too.
  • Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm looking at the labour day sales, and have a question. Since the Angelcare pad has to go under the mattress, does that mean you can't use it with a PnP? LO won't be in a crib at the very beginning, so I want something I can actually use... @danigirl830‌ did you ever get feedback on your choice? I think it looks pretty good, since it comes with the video monitor and the snuza hero, but I'm a newbie too.
    We used the AngelCare in the "nest" that we had right in the bed with us....   and in a bassinet... and finally in a crib.   It actually worked in all 3 places.  My husband just had to cut a piece of plywood to go under the sensor pad.  But it worked great.  (We were shocked that it worked in the nest in bed with us!  We thought it would catch our movements, too, but it didn't.  Just the baby's.)

So... I can't see why it wouldn't work in a pack and play?
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• mslynn2012mslynn2012 member
    edited August 2014
    We never got one with DS and won't with this LO either. Too many false alarms, and honestly, if you're room sharing you will hear them breathe ALL night long.

Babies are SUCH LOUD sleepers!
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• AeandJb said:

@minibean16 Thanks for the resurrection! I had selected a monitor back in July and just changed it again. I didn't know they made ones that attached to baby.

---///---

Yeah, they have this one at BRU, but I found it cheaper at Walmart (CDN link though)

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/levana-lila-digital-baby-video-monitor-with-levana-powered-by-snuza-oma-portable-baby-movement-monitor-system/6000134771075

I think it looks good? But I know nothing.
  • We follow the aap guidelines with no moniotr and rooming in for 6 months. I know mother who constantly get false alarms. I also know thus occurs more when you use cloth diapers, which we use. We added a video montior at about 10 months and that is all we needed.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Speaking of pacifiers--and this question is going to make it very apparent how little I know about babies--are they supposed to sleep with them in their mouth? Or do you take it out once they fall asleep?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't know they sold these in regular baby stores. We got a prescription for one last time because my daughter had to sleep in the prone position. I'll have to check out this business.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"