February 2015 Moms
Options

do you think dogs/ cats sence pregnancy?

I think so ! I have no animals right now due to my lack of time and space but I've always had them and been around them. Well when my mom was pregnant with my baby sister and I was 14 we we went to my aunts house. She has a bunch of chihuahuas I mean she is like the chihuahua queen and they know us and pretty much like us . The older chihuahua female of the "pack" loves our family and when my mom sat down on the couch she went and sat by her and put her paw right in her tummy. When my dad tried to put his hand on her tummy she would gently scratch it and kinda move it away. She did that to everyone it was like she knew what was inside and was protecting . I'm sure if it had been a strange r trying to touch my mom she would have done more than just move it away lol. Now that my sister is 6 she loves her and never saw her as a stranger . I think animals are amazing and can't wait for my Lo to have a fur friend of her own.

Re: do you think dogs/ cats sence pregnancy?

• Options
    My dogs have definitely been more clingy but I can't tell if it's because I'm pregnant or they're afraid of being replaced by my moms 4the of July surprise gift of a 3rd dog.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    They absolutely do. My brothers collie always babysits me when im pregnant.
    -------------------------------
    Sarah, 35 bumping from NE Ohio
    Married my love 4/22/2006
    DD born 10/12/2009
    DS born sleeping 2/23/2013 full trisomy 18
    Baby 3 due 2/13/2015
    Pregnancy Ticker}
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mle106mle106 member
    I think my dog can sense that something is different- but I have no idea what he "knows". He's much more clingy and gentle with me than before I was pregnant.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    ksgsmuksgsmu member
    My dog seems clueless!  Although he has been behaving better so maybe he is trying to cut me a break :)
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Options
    CogDisCogDis member
    Mine definitely knows something! She stands in between strangers and I when we're walking and is way more barky when they approach.
  • Options
    Oem617Oem617 member
    Yes! My dog was attached to me when I was pregnant with DS. Now he is being more attached than usual. I think he totally can sense it.

DS - Born 6/17/12 

DS#2 - Due 2/11/15

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options

@stephanieLBerg so strange, my Yorkie did the same thing (and continues to be obsessed with laying on my blump)!

Exactly @chickenhawke‌! Normally I wouldn't mind so much when she does it, but the bloating has made it damn near impossible for me to be comfortable with her there. She's a little upset about it, but I think she understands. Lately she's been laying against the side of my stomach and that's been ok, except when I sleep. When I sleep I can't stand having any animal on or against me right now. I don't know if I just feel too hot, or too constricted, or what but yea :-)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Yep... My cuddle cat wants to lay on my belly all the time now. And the dog is having no parts of it. The dog doesn't even want DH rubbing my belly.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Waited a long time, tried a lot of stuff, science made me a mom.
     Loss and IF veteran. Current mom of DS 5.5, DD 2, and sometimes DH 40. Due June 2021 with TWINS
  • Options
    chickyclg said:

They do!! My cat normally hates me, she loves my husband, oh well.  About a week after my embryo transfer she started wanting to lay with me.  Now she follows me around the house like crazy, and she loves to lay on me.  She was like this every other time I have been pregnant, being pregnant is the only time I can pet her so I take advantage of it.

She must be having the "you must be made for sits cuz you're made of extra warm" mentality right now since you're pregnant. One of my cats is like that right now. She normally runs from me, but not my husband, but now she won't leave me or my feet alone. Crazy kitties I'm telling ya!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not sure if its the pregnancy or the moving! One of my cats has become super attached to me the last few days and I think its because he knows something is going on in the house and we are packing up! Not sure if they are keen on the baby. They are both lap cats anyways!
    Baby Nolan  is on his way! EDD 2/22/15 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My cats and dog are all a lot more clingy now, for sure.
    F15 December Siggy Challenge: Holiday Decoration Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Natalie Ann is on her way!
     BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Our youngest dog (a beagle) has out of no where become ultra protective of me.  If I'm lying down on the couch or the bed (especially if I'm asleep) he will guard me - even against my husband.  If my husband comes home after I've fallen asleep (which is usual during the week since he works so much) he has to soften-up our  dog before the dog will let him come near me.  This same dog also won't let my husband tease me or do anything "weird" toward me.  This behavior didn't start until I became pregnant.  

It's either just a coincidence or the dog knows something is up.
  • Options
    I'm so glad you posted this!! My dogs have turned into lap dogs and are always trying to lay on my belly! I try and push them off and they try to melt into me, I can't escape them!!
  • Options
    I really feel like they do! My cat and puppy have always been affectionate (the puppy much more so) but they have been fighting for my attention now! One of them is always trying to come and lay beside me much more than previously. My puppy has also become much, much more protective of me.
  • Options
    I swear my Beagle mix already knows. He's always been my husbands dog and my boxer is glued to my hip. Since I got pregnant the beagle will sit directly next to me, push the boxer out of the way and rest his ear on my belly. I wish I could hear what he hears!
  • Options
    I had a cat that would NOT leave me alone when I was pregnant with my twins. She would rest her head on my belly, knead my belly, lick my belly and all kinds of weird stuff like groom me and lick my forehead. I had to give her away but my BFF adopted her and when she got pregnant the cat did the same thing to her! With my BFF it was a bit more strange though because the cat wasn't super fond of her but was super in love with her husband.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My dog is suddenly super protective of babies and little kids, which is weird cuz she never cared before. Could be a coincidence, but I feel like she knows shes going to be a big sister.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I so believe it. My silky was all over me for two weeks before I tested. She followed me everywhere, sat by/on me and I couldn't even use the bathroom without her sitting outside the door. She never does all these things. She prefers my husband over me. I think she was trying to tell me something.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Absolutely. One of my cats is a non-cuddle cat. She has been following me room to room and watched over me all the time. I fall asleep and wake up with her watching me. She periodically will jump up on the bed or couch to give me fuzzy head bumps and meow before jumping down and running away. Also if I walk over to pet her she instantly purrs. DH and I did a test. I had him start checking to see if she purrs when he pets her. She only does it when I pet her. 

My other cat has always been a cuddle cat so it's hard to tell if she senses it or not. She is still cuddly. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My dogs are meatheads and have no idea what's going on. :)
    THIS!

he never acted different with DS pregnancy and he is still pretty clueless.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My dog is clueless, but my cat definitely knows something is up. We usually cuddle on the couch/bed most nights. Around 6 weeks he began avoiding me. At 9 weeks he finally came near me but would hiss a lot (which he never does). Now at 13 weeks we can cuddle again but he sniffs me for like 30 minutes before getting on my lap. So weird.
  • Options
    My dog knows. She has been more gentle with me when playing. She has not been going up to me to cuddle though, i'm the one who brings her toe to cuddle with maybe she is scared that she might step on my tummy. When i found out that i am pregnant, i started crying and she was staring at me the whole time. So yeah. They know it.
  • Options
    My pups are acting a bit different. For sure.
    Me: 38     DH: 36
    Married: July 21, 2013
    TTC#1 (between us): June/July 2013

DX: MFI (low count and motility)
    Charting/OPK/CBFM July 2013-present
    1st RE Visit: January 2014
    Cycling: 
    March 2014- 75iu follistim + trigger + progesterone + IUI = BFN and OHSS
    (8 million post wash 47% motility, 18mm/17mm/16mm/16mm/14mm follies)
    April/May 2014- Benched due to cysts/enlarged ovaries
    June 2014- 50iu follistim + trigger + progesterone + IUI = BFP!!
    (10 million post wash 60% motility, 20mm/19mm follies)
    Beta 1- 85 Beta 2- 2,752 - EDD 2/27/2015

Everyone welcome. Strength in numbers!

• Options
    I don't have any animals, but my brothers lab normally is more interested in his Frisbee or chipmunks. Last pregnancy he would sit right next to me at our cabin almost the entire time, and if I ever had to go out to the outhouse, he would walk along side me... patiently wait and walk me back. He was definitely guarding me and did the same this past weekend! Crazy!
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think animals can. My dogs are definately more clingy and protective of me. Our big dog won't get out of the bed to make room for DH to sleep next to me now.
    Pregnancy #1 DD 08.30.2007
    Pregnancy #2 Natural Miscarriage at 6 weeks 03/2014 Due date 11/9/2014
    Pregnancy #3 DS 02.23.2015
    Pregnancy #4 Missed Miscarriage at 11 weeks 11/2018 Due date 5/22/2019
    Pregnancy #5 Positive test 12/11/2019 Due Date 8/17/2020

• Options
    I think they can sense something is different. My morkie has become obsessed with being wherever I'm at. He especially loves to lay on the belly and this is something new.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"