December 2011 Moms

Nutritionist?

Anyone been to one? Covered by insurance? 
** Highschool Sweethearts ** 
Married: February 14, 2009

MC: June 6 2010 @ 18 weeks
DS: December 19, 2011
MC: October 2, 2015 @ 14 weeks

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Nutritionist?

• I started working with a nutritionist about a year ago. I've loved it. It was just the change I needed to get me back on track. Now with being PG I'm able to continue to work with her to keep my weight in check. My old insurance covered so many visits a year. The new insurance won't cover it but it works out to be the same as what I'd been paying for weight watchers previously.

Good luck!
  • I've been to one... it was covered by insurance because it was hooked up with the clinic that I was at and had a doc's appointment immediately following so it could be billed in a specific way thus covered... My assessment was this: That is time in my life that I cannot get back!  It was great if I wanted to pack on weight, but that's not my goal by seeing a nutritionist.  The sad part is many of my friends also reported the same experience with nutritionists. 

The problem/issue we all experienced is - they aren't equipped to work with anyone who has any level of muscle tone/fitness, which is the goal of any fitness/weight loss program, to cut fat and increase muscle. The recommendations the nutritionist made were downright dangerous to anyone with muscle tone (my lean body mass is considered obese!).  Sure, it's great to cut protein and increase high glycemic carbs reducing the calorie count down to an unsustainable level for the long term so that you hate yourself and are hungry 24/7, you'll lose weight in the short term, but won't keep it off for the long term because the body will kick into starvation mode which also makes you more prone to muscle tears, sprains, and strains.  The people I've known who've taken off massive amounts of weight and actually kept it off for the long haul all accomplished it the old fashioned way, they train at the gym 3-5x/wk for 2 hours, they eat when they're hungry, stop when they're full, and control their portions. Skinny people eat chocolate cake, they just eat a small slice, not the whole cake.

The better money spent is to hook up with a trainer (go to a power gym, not a chain gym!!!!) who knows both the physical and nutrition part of training.  The trainer I'm hooking up with also trains the wrestling kids but has the approach with the kids of go in to a meet whatever weight class you are, don't crash diet and lose your edge.   Instead of cutting calories, their attitude is more eat the maximum calories possible while still maintaining a healthy and consistent weight loss and improving muscle tone so you look fantastic because of reducing body fat.

Also, spend the money and get a body composition/DEXA scan done!  It'll tell you exactly where you're at with no BSing.  It's one of the "gold standards" because you can't cheat the computer, you can calipers...  It also will give you an accurate measure of where your starting point is so you can work from there instead of "one size fits no one" with a nutritionist.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks. I have been on WW for a bit over a year and have only lost about 30 pounds. I feel like its just not the push Im looking for. I want someone or something to kick me in the a$$ type thing. 

• "Only 30" - aren't we the modest one - more like "HOLY CRAP You've lost 30lbs. and are keeping it off - WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" is actually in order!!

What part of the countryside are you in - it's possible I may know someone depending on the area you're in...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @2MesmrEwe- lol yes its pretty awesome. Im just so frustrated its not more. Ive been on WW for about 1 year and 1/2. 

I live in IL. (south suburbs). 

Im just thinking taking the money I spend on WW and putting it toward a gym membership.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"