December 2013 Moms

Skipping the toddler bed altogether

We're thinking of skipping the toddler bed and buying a queen. Our reasoning is a queen sized bed will facilitate more happy bedtime stories and less sore necks, backs and aching shoulders from piling into a toddler or twin size bed.

Am I missing something? Is there a reason for toddler sized and twin size beds other than utilizing less space?

IS THIS A CAPITALIST PLOT TO TAKE ALL THE EXTRA MONIES FROM PARENTS BY HAVING THEM BUY UNNECESSARY THINGS????!!!!

Tell me your thoughts.

Re: Skipping the toddler bed altogether

• I agree with skipping the smaller sized beds!
  • My crib turns into a toddler bed... No need to spend extra money, no need to go straight to big bed too early.
    DD went into a twin at 3 years old. She has never fallen out.
  • Loading the player...
  • My sister and I traded furniture when I found out I was expecting. So we took her convertible crib (nephew was 2.5 at the time) and she took our guest room furniture with queen sized bed. My nephew climbs in and out great and she put a bed rail up that goes up and down so he doesn't fall out. Worked for her. We will probably use our convertible crib as a toddler bed for LO because like @pashedmotatoes‌ said no need to spend extra cash.
  • If you have the room for a queen size bed in her room and if she's not a nighttime acrobat, I would go straight to the queen size bed, especially if you don't have a crib that can convert.  DD's crib can turn in to a toddler bed if we buy the toddler rail.  We can then turn it in to a full size bed, but we'll probably just get her a twin size bed at that time just to have more room for her to be able to play in her room.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • anakahanakah member
    We went from crib to twin mattresses on the floor at 2 years old for the twins.  We did twin size because of space.  If we only had to sleep one kid in the room, I totally would've sprung for the queen, or at least a full.  I had a queen sized bed growing up and it was awesome.  The only downside is like PP said, you can't get cutesy princess sheets or whatever in queen size. 
  • A quick search for queen sized kids bedding came up with some cute bed in a bag options for kids. Overstock had ballerinas, fire trucks, solar system sets to name a few. Looks like companies have realized there is a demand for adorable bedding in bigger sizes. Now I must stop myself from purchasing the solar system ones. So freaking cute.
  • We have DH's furniture set from when he was growing up (it is solid wood and still looks great), so LO will move straight to the twin bed when it is time. Our crib does convert to a toddler bed, but we hope to have #2 sooner than later, so if that works out then it doesn't make sense to use the toddler bed.

Also, we would have gotten LO a twin bed if we didn't already have one due to our bedrooms being on the smaller size. We could fit a full/queen into the room, but there wouldn't be room for much else.

Not bumping on The Bump anymore

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Great Support, Great Conversations, and more than just Cloth Diapering at our new home

• serendserend member
    I like that idea! And if you're worried about falling, you could always do a platform or low profile bed frame.
  • We've never used a toddler bed.  I think the big advantage is either your crib converts or you already have the right size mattress (crib size) and toddler beds are relatively inexpensive. 
    However they're definitely not necessary.  We've always had another baby on the way so we just kept the crib as-is and bought 'big boy' furniture for the child outgrowing the crib.  Our stuff is from PBK and has settings that can be very low to the ground.  I do agree that a queen size might not be great because a lot of the cute kid stuff that your kids will inevitably want won't fit the bed. We have a full over twin bunk for ds1 and the full is nice extra space for reading books, laying with them, etc.
  • Why queen and not full?
    Because we already have one that I can just trade into the other room. So it's like this... 3 of the 4 bedrooms in the house have beds currently. 1 crib, 1 cal-king, 1 queen. If I put the queen in C's room, move the crib to the other guest room for baby #2 whenever that happens, and the cal-king currently in the guestroom moves to my bedroom I figure I won't have to buy any new beds. But if I buy a twin/toddler bed/ full size... I have to buy a bed.

Here's the root of the issue...I really want to spend nights reading with C late into the evening (like 7-9pm depending on "bedtime") and be comfortable. Also, I think if we use the queen, it will be easier to sneak out of the bed when it's time for "mommy" to go to bed in her own room.
  • ..and I realize I said buying in the OP, but we'd really just be re-purposing. No need to buy, unless something happens between now and then.
  • My two older kids went straight from my bed (California King) to their own full sized beds. DD has a toddler bed in her room too, but it's more of a play bed than for actual sleeping.
    imageimageimageimage
  • @sweetsouthernmomma‌ On the height thing, just skip the box springs. Use mattress only. That's how DS1 is now (since he was 2, recently 3).

We have a twin, but mainly for space. We wanted to re-purpose the guest room full-size bed, but then his shoe box of a room had no room for his toys (which I'd much rather live in his room than the living room). So twin it is.

He used his convertible crib as a toddler bed, but moved to the twin after DS2 was born (so it's a crib again).

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• Why queen and not full?

Because we already have one that I can just trade into the other room. So it's like this... 3 of the 4 bedrooms in the house have beds currently. 1 crib, 1 cal-king, 1 queen. If I put the queen in C's room, move the crib to the other guest room for baby #2 whenever that happens, and the cal-king currently in the guestroom moves to my bedroom I figure I won't have to buy any new beds. But if I buy a twin/toddler bed/ full size... I have to buy a bed.

Here's the root of the issue...I really want to spend nights reading with C late into the evening (like 7-9pm depending on "bedtime") and be comfortable. Also, I think if we use the queen, it will be easier to sneak out of the bed when it's time for "mommy" to go to bed in her own room.

WHY IS MOMMY IN QUOTES?!? DID YOU STEAL THAT ADORABLE BABY?!?

If you stole her then I want you to share her with me. BECAUSE I LOVE HER!!1!
  • Our crib converts, although we don't have the parts for it and we've never done it yet because there's always been a baby on the way. When we moved DS out of the crib, we did get him a toddler bed because he and DD1 shared a room, and there was just no space for anything else. So, DD1 also started in the toddler bed when she moved out of the crib. But, I defintiely don't find them necessary in general. I would do a twin/double.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We did from PNP (ds1 hated actual crib) to twin at 19 months.
    imageimage
    Baby Chugging born 12.28.13
    induction due to HELLP

• For DS1, we went from the crib to a toddler bed--a racecar bed, actually. He was/is really into race cars and we splurged on a Lightning McQueen bed to make him happy. Evs. He loved it and I don't regret it. I also liked that it was pretty low to the ground.

When we moved him to the bigger bedroom to make room for Finn in the nursery, we bought two twin beds for DS1's room. We have guard rails on the bed for safety.

• We did a full and it's been great!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"