April 2013 Moms

15 month sleep issues

audreyjemaudreyjem member
edited July 2014 in April 2013 Moms
Where to begin... My daughter is 15 months on Friday. She has been a fairly good sleeper overnight, and had always struggled with naps. In the past few weeks she has started waking between 5 and 6:30 am (used to sleep until 7 or 7:30) and we usually change her diaper and put her back down. I do nurse her if it's closer to 6:30 and try to get her To sleep another hour. Her one nap a day is 2.5-3 hrs after waking and lasts 30-90 mins. Then she's up until bedtime. Ideally bedtime is 7-7:30, but she's usually quite tired by 6-6:30, so she's been going down earlier. Everything just keeps getting pushed earlier! I know I need to make a lot of changes, but am not sure where to begin. Has anyone else dealt with this or have any suggestions?
~Eme's mama, SAHM, BF, BLW, CD~

Re: 15 month sleep issues

• We're struggling a little bit too, but in a different way.  he has started screaming bloody MURDER about 15 minutes after I put him down for the night, which he has NEVER done before.  We've had to do CIO this week, which we never really had to do before.  So hard to listen to them cry.  I'm a sucker, I'll admit!

As for naps, I don't have any advice.  We're down to one long nap per day but he's ready for it anytime between 10 AM and 2 PM, with very little rhyme or reason... 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Jdubb13 said:
    I would also suggest moving back that morning nap or offering a second nap later in the day.
    Yup, this.

I am dealing with similar problems right now. He just went down at 6:05 for the night. If he sleeps well tonight I may try just one nap tomorrow. We have flirted with the one-nap life several times over the past few weeks but it never stuck. Maybe now he is finally ready.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • Loading the player...
  • elbouelbou member
    audreyjem said:
    Where to begin... My daughter is 15 months on Friday. She has been a fairly good sleeper overnight, and had always struggled with naps. In the past few weeks she has started waking between 5 and 6:30 am (used to sleep until 7 or 7:30) and we usually change her diaper and put her back down. I do nurse her if it's closer to 6:30 and try to get her To sleep another hour. Her one nap a day is 2.5-3 hrs after waking and lasts 30-90 mins. Then she's up until bedtime. Ideally bedtime is 7-7:30, but she's usually quite tired by 6-6:30, so she's been going down earlier. Everything just keeps getting pushed earlier! I know I need to make a lot of changes, but am not sure where to begin. Has anyone else dealt with this or have any suggestions?
    Sometimes when they wake really early and go back to sleep like this, it acts like a nap. So in essence, she's having 2 naps a day...one is just super early. I agree with both of the suggestions given to you, and suggest you do both. Try to push nap time back and try getting her to take 2 naps.

Here's how I would suggest you go about doing it:
    (I am not a morning person myself, so I understand how brutal this might be for you, but...) if you try getting up with her for a while and keeping her up for a couple hours (2.5-3 like she usually does would probably be ideal) you might find it easier to fit a 2nd nap in. That in turn will likely lead to her being happy to stay up "later" (i.e. her normal bedtime of 7-7:30) and, hopefully, help to reset her internal wake-up alarm back to the usual time. It may take a few tries of waking up really early with her to get her back where she was, and it may take some time to wean her back to one nap again. GL!

• Thanks for the responses! I have tried 2 naps, she just stands up and babbles or shouts. She's been on one nap for a long time now... Since before she turned a year. I've tried all sorts of methods, she's just not much of a napper. I definitely agree that her waking early and sleeping an additional 30 mins- 1 hr probaby does constitute a first nap though.

Last night we pushed her bedtime a half hour later and she slept until 6:30 am, aside from waking up with a leaky diaper at 4:30.

I'll try to push the naps later over several days and see if she adjusts to that. Of course we're going away this weekend and that probably won't help!

Thanks for the advice ladies!
    ~Eme's mama, SAHM, BF, BLW, CD~

• I'm with Grace. If Logan wakes up before 8 I don't go get him unless he's crying. Which has happened once. (He goes to bed around 10pm since H doesn't get home until 830 and then we eat dinner. So our schedule is different than most.) Usually he sleeps past 8.
    Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"