March 2014 Moms

Awful sleep commiseration thread?

Last night was our worst night yet and I'm crazy with no sleep. She went down for 30 minutes, then woke up and it took 2.5 hours to get her to fall asleep for longer than 5 minutes, then she was up again 1 hour later.
We can get her to fall asleep rocking but within minutes of putting her in the pack and play, she starts sad crying (not screaming). So then we soothe her to sleep in there but once we stop, she starts sad crying again. At one point, we turned on a dim light to check her over and make sure nothing was wrong, and she starts smiling and cooing.
Of course I've read vague complaints on here about sleep regression, but is this really how bad it is? Or am I doing something wrong. It can't be good for her to keep getting only 7 hours of sleep a night right? Please commiserate with me!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Awful sleep commiseration thread?

• I tried the crib last night and it was a miserable failure! DS was up every 1.5 hours all.night.long. and he wouldn't settle unless nursed. Soooo all that talk of "babies this young don't develop bad habits" is out the window. I'm pretty sure he's addicted to nursing to sleep. He doesn't even get drowsy without nursing, so I have to walk the fine line between drowsy and fully asleep while nursing to get him in his crib on time. I ended up caving around 2 AM and put him in the sleeping bag with me (I was sleeping on the floor in the nursery just in case) and I nursed him for 5 minutes then put the boob away to try to get him to sleep on his own. It seemed to work OK although I miss being able to just fall asleep while side-lying :(
  • The last few night we were on the same schedule as @NorthernLghts‌. Last night I swaddled her in a blanket that shrinks back and inside that she was in the starfish thing. Woke up at 12:45 (had 5oz bm) Had to change a diaper after her poop/fart woke me up (not her) at 2ish. Slept til 6:30. God I needed that. It's been a hellacious week.

We do drowsy but awake for naps. At night we do awake. And she falls asleep within minutes (no crying). So after she's fed and wrapped back up I pop the binky in and walk away.

• Loading the player...
  • I needed this thread this morning. We were up pretty much every hour sometimes multiplie times an hour. I think she has a stuffy nose though so that might be why. My husband says sh is paying me back for using te saline spray on her.
  • Charlie goes down great... Falls asleep on his own in the bassinet. He usually sleeps for about 2-3 hours, and then after that he's up eating every hour and will only go back to sleep if he's in bed with us. I'm seriously contemplating getting out the blow up bed because there just isn't enough space in our bed. And at this point I would prefer sleep to being in bed with my husband.

BabyFetus Ticker

• I'm glad I'm in good company but sorry you guys are suffering too. 
    I'm so torn and feel like there are so many variables to figure out how we're going to get to good sleep. And I feel like it is so important for LOs to have good sleep. 
    Sometimes drowsy but awake works for us, but a lot of times it either doesn't work or she wakes up 40ish minutes later. When that doesn't work, we then try to soothe her while she is still in the pnp. That works less often. When that doesn't work, we rock to sleep. But even that is rarely working now!
    I worry that she's too young for any more-formal sleep coaching. I worry that she thinks I'm not there for her. But I can not physically get no sleep and still function. She's still generally happy during the day so that generally sways me away from sleep coaching
    It is exhausting but I really needed to feel less alone so I appreciate all the responses!

• We've hit the sleep regression wall as well but last night after his complete meltdown fit he slept from 10:30-6:00 without a peep. I had to rock him & sing to him so that he'd calm down but after about 15 minutes he was out. I've been having trouble with him flipping onto his tummy while sleeping but finally gave in & let him be last night. It was the best idea ever! Between my bed checks every few hours & the piece of mind his Snuza brings me we were both happy & rested this morning.
  • LO has to be rocked or nursed to sleep. Or she will fall asleep in the car. Since about a month ago she refuses to take a pacifier, and that's why I have to let her comfort nurse tfor a couple of minutes to get her to fall sleep. I really wish she took to the pacifier. On a positive note she slept from 10 to 530 last night.
  • Sanibel21Sanibel21 member
    edited July 2014
    @FarmBoysWife‌ you are not alone! We just put LO down drowsy but awake and are doing every 3 minute checks and lengthening then out unless the cries get desperate. @babycaps did you put binky back in everytime you went up or no binky?

Eta: should it be the same person going in?
    Crap and if the timer is up and she's only whimpering should we hold off?

I swear I've read and read and read and all these little nuances come up.

• Ok we lasted 15 minutes. That last cycle she went from 0-60 instantly and started coughing. Not gonna do it. Sigh.

• Thanks for the reassurance @amestski‌
    Welcome @OhioRiderEsq‌ I too thought the worst was behind us.
    @FarmBoysWife‌ how are you guys doing over there?
    LO fell asleep for 30 minutes after nursing her. Now she's awake and were trying every 3 minutes again. This is hell.
    I don't know. What. To. Do.

• lazyreaderlazyreader member
    edited July 2014
    This is really random. But to someone it might help. When Jamie is really overtired and fussy, I walk outside with her and just stroll* around the yard while continuing to pat her butt (cradled) and talk about what I'm looking at and she calms down within the minute.
    I've never thought to try it over night. But hell it might work.

*Amble. Waltz. Sashay. Not stroller. Poor word choice. Lol
  • M is up every two hours overnight. Always been. I can't remember when I last slept through the night. That being said at least I'm prepared for the 4 month sleep regression.
  • Random here too I put on the fisher price glow seashore as nothing else was calming or soothing my LO two nights ago. He instantly stopped crying and eventually passed out.
  • @kacie do you then transfer her or leave her in the stroller?
    @Kalpa521‌ does LO go down easy enough? I feel like in the beginning it was tough because I was being woken often but I could always get LO back to sleep. Now I don't know if I'm ever getting sleep because she just won't go down.

• @sanibel21 she does go back down easily. I can't complain. We side lie (sp?!) bf so sometimes I think I fall back asleep before she does.
  • @Kalpa521‌ You can absolutely still complain!! I was totally just curious, making conversation to keep me occupied while doing this every three minute thing.

• M just blew raspberries while bfing. This meal is done. She's showing no signs of sleep.
  • @Sanibel21‌ I just carry her in my arms. So she'll be wailing and I will 1) new diaper 2) swaddle tight 3) feed her if hungry 4) pacifier in 5) carry her in my arms and pat/jiggle the but while shushing.
    It's at that point that I would just bounce my way outside and continue shushing. The difference usually distracts her enough that she calms down.
  • I feel everyone's pain. The layers of problems we've had are so numerous that I don't have the energy to even begin. When DS was around 2 months, we had maybe 2 weeks where he'd go for a smooth 6 hours. Then gas bothered him and woke him every few hours, then that got him spoiled being nursed, then he cried when he was lonely and demanded to be nursed. Now I've got a mess of a kid that wakes every 2 hours and wants to nurse most times. Many of the times I could rock him back to sleep, he'd then wake and cry as soon as I put him down. This has been going on for two months. ::sigh:: A good friend of mine wanted to see if she could find some solutions (lives 3 houses down) and offered to take him overnight last night if I sent bottles. I am so fried that I agreed and slept SO WELL. She was able to settle him down each time he stirred except a snack at midnight and then real meal at 6. She put a pillow in his bassinet, tucked rolled blankets on his sides, put a rolled blanket under his legs, he's swaddled, played instrumental music, and had a table fan going. Haha! Complicated! And he still stirred on her a lot, but she'd turn the music back on and just lightly rock the bassinet and he usually went back out on his own. I'm hoping I can have some success with all those methods.
    I feel your pain, mamas. I'm at my wit's end with him.
  • I feel everyone's pain as well! My LO will be 5 months on Sunday and is finally sleeping in 4 hr increments at night. And by finally, I mean he did it last night and I'm hoping for a repeat tonight. Haha! It has definitely been a rough couple of weeks with sleep regression, rolling onto his belly and waking himself up, and not swaddling anymore.
  • I feel the pain :(  Skylee is 4 and 1/2 months and the most I get is a 3 hour stretch (sometimes I get lucky and get a 4).  But this past week has been absolutely awful and progressively worse. Last night she was literally up every 45 minutes - 1 hour.  I'm hoping tonight will be better. One can hope, right??? 
    imageimage

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Kennedy is almost 4 months old and has never slept through the night. I'm lucky if I get 4 hours stretch but it's usually one 3 hour stretch, followed by every 1.5-2. I'm so.freaking.tired! And I have to give her the boob to put her to sleep. And mostly I do it side-lying because if not she'll wake up when I lay her down. But I'm crazy because the night I finally got her to sleep in her crib during the first nights stretch I couldn't sleep until I put her in bed with me.
  • How did everyone hold up last night? I was up every 45minites starting at 3. Boo.
  • We did a second round of every 3 minute checks when she woke up 40 minutes into sleep and that went better. Calmed her down each time, she never got to coughing like the first time, and after maybe ten checks she fell asleep. Stayed asleep til 1, fed her, she went right back down, woke at 730. As absolutely gut wrenching as it was, and I cried and I hated it, she slept better than she has in a long time. And she was her normal self today. I have no idea what to expect or what to do tonight.

• All this sounds like my nights! DS will go mayyybe 3 hours the first stretch and then up every 2 hours. He'll even throw in a 45 minute stretch just for funsies!
    He also won't sleep more than an hour and a half I'm the PNP, so he sleeps in the mamaroo.
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• MeggsMMeggsM member
    Up every two hours. Either needed her paci or a feeding. Oh and naps? No longer puts herself to sleep, just screAms and no longer than 45 mins. And it takes at least three tries to put her down at night. Good times.
  • @babycaps I have to say it was your experience and cheerleading that kept us going last night. Knowing you had done it and had some success. I really appreciate it. Because it's getting to a point where if we keep staying up like we have been, one of us going to fall asleep with her unsafely by accident or something.
    I think it's unrealistic to hope tonight and all the nights go smoothly from here on?

• And I'm sorry to the more who have joined the thread with sleep issues!!!

• babycaps said:

@Sanibel21‌ awe!! Thank you!!! Happy to have helped! We had a little rougher night today bc his evening nap was messed up! Still he fell asleep on his own. I didn't put him down until he was done having his meltdown as I held him! I had to go on the balcony to get him distracted and "reset"! He was just so overtired! My point is, even being so tired, he still fell asleep w/o tears after we put him down. He turned on to his side and sucked on his paci until he was out!!
    It does get easier:)
    How was tonight?

@babycaps tonight was different but I wouldn't say better or worse. It took a little longer but most of her cries were not as intense as last night. And sometimes it was on and off cries and sometimes she didn't start crying until a little longer after I left. So we got a few 6 minute periods. Like if the three minutes were up but she wasn't crying yet or she was only whining, we waited. Also she actually woke about ten minutes after sleeping and I jut went in once and she fell back asleep and has been asleep for about 40 minutes.
    I'm sorry to hear your evening schedule was messed up but glad to hear about a tear free put down!
    How many nights before he went down without crying?
    And did you rinse and repeat if he woke in the middle of the night?
    You only worked on night sleep first right? Then moved on to each nap? So did you just do what worked for naps in the beginning?
    Sorry to ask so many questions but I appreciate your guidance. Like I said I have read a lot but everything is so conflicting.

• I think I've fixed lo's nursing-to-sleep addiction! Three nights ago I would nurse upon waking as usual (every 1.5 hours) but I maxed it at 5 minutes and put him down awake to fall asleep. If it had been 3+ hours since his last meal I let him nurse until he was full. These past two nights I've gotten 3 and 4 hour stretches! I nurse until he's full and he goes down for another 3 hours. It's amazing.
  • TradeMamaTradeMama member
    edited July 2014
    We have been up every 2-3 hours at night since LO was born. Last night was our best night yet... He slept from 10:30-4. Last night I used Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit... Which is essentially thick (breathable) pajamas that stifle the startle reflex.
    Eta: usually the only way he'd sleep was on my chest, and he cried anytime I moved him. Last night he slept in his crib!
  • @ babycaps I read every word of your novel! I appreciate A.) the information and B.) the fact that you took the time to give me all the information. It really is a hard thing to do and I feel like we've been less alone with your posts.
    LO stayed asleep until 5 am! I fed her. She played in her pnp for 40 minutes, no crying, until she fell back asleep until 8.
    First nap she cried a couple times but fell asleep in her own. Second she just passed out on her own.
    I so don't want to get my hopes up. And I really hope she doesn't have to cry at night for much longer. We have been giving her the binky and I hope that doesn't bite us in the ass.
    I'm really sorry you're having teething and regression issues. I hope that resolves quickly. Have you tried giving Tylenol before bed or is that something you'd consider? I've also heard to elevate the head of the mattress so the swelling of the gums can drain downward and doesn't pool. Again not sure if it's something you'd consider but I want to repay you for all the help you've given me here!!

• lazyreaderlazyreader member
    edited July 2014
    @babycaps‌ - maybe he's on west coast time. It's really only 8.

No? Not funny? ...lol.... ;)

Eta: my lol wasn't conveying my humor like I wanted.
  • MeggsMMeggsM member
    She's been "asleep" for three hours and I've been up 6(!) times ! Once to feed the other 5 for putting back to sleep. Last stretch was 2 hours so yay?

She just settled herself so here's hoping it leads to a longer stretch.
  • babycaps said:

Up every two hours or less! FML.

This has bee my life for about 2 weeks. :/ hope it doesn't last long fir you.
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• I've been researching and getting different answers. Some sites say baby adjusts and the sleep regression ends on it's own, others say it continues indefinitely without intervention. What are you ladies going by?
  • Yay @babycaps!! Hope it continues. LO went down drowsy, fell asleep on her own, and stayed asleep til 3. No tears!! I fed her at 3 and she went back down til 6. Binkied her at 6 and she went back down til 715. No tears.
    @chocoroom I'm going by the fact that whether it would resolve on its own or not, we were getting so sleep deprived I was afraid we'd drop her. After now having done a gentle ferber, I now believe she was ready and able, but it was a really hard decision to make at the time.

• MeggsMMeggsM member
    @chocoroom‌ the book I read basically said do anything to get them to fall asleep during the sleep regression but like pp I was beginning to get seriously sleep deprived. So I started again with our drowsy but awake routine yesterday and it worked! She is still waking more often but seems to be able to soothe herself again because we started putting her down when awake for all of her naps.

That being said when she was overtired this past week because of waking so much I did everything I could to put her to sleep - she just would get too worked up to fall asleep On her own.

• Sigh. Sounds like I've got myself a bad sleeper. Here's hoping his future baby brother or sister has the easy sleep gene!
  • Apparently last night baby girl decided 3am to 5:30am was an awesome time to be awake just thrashing around. Not hungry. Not wanting a pacifier. Just thrashing insanely.
    textimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"