January 2015 Moms

Do you like Duke for DS? We already have a 2year old Bruce :)

rockkandirockkandi member
edited July 2014 in January 2015 Moms
Duke for DS #2

Do you like Duke for DS? We already have a 2year old Bruce :) 78 votes

I love Duke!
20% 16 votes
I don't love Duke!
79% 62 votes

Re: Do you like Duke for DS? We already have a 2year old Bruce :)

• Well im biased bc this is going to be LO's short form of his name! But i love it!
  • It's always been a title to me.  Or a university in NC.

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• Loading the player...
  • I like baron or barron better and goes better with Bruce
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    Makes me think of Luke and Bo Duke, which could be a good thing or not-so-good thing depending.
  • I'm blinded for my hatred of Duke University. That said, it's your kiddo so you name it what you want.
    DS born 1/8/2015
    BFP 1/5/2016   EDD 9/17/2016

• Duke is cute, if you are looking for suggestions, Drake could work with Bruce.
    Still immune to tickers. Polite Canadian 99% of the time. SAHM of 7 soon to be 8. I read more than I post.
  • I like it because it's a strong masculine name to go with a longer polish last name. My husband and I have loved it for a long time but my mother-in-law's giving us a hard time about it so it's making me second guess.
  • I don't mind it for a name, however I think the 2 names sound too similar with the same u sound. It would be hard when calling for them or scolding.
    August Siggy Challenge: Funniest thing on the internet

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • KerBear8 said:
    I'm blinded for my hatred of Duke University. That said, it's your kiddo so you name it what you want.
    THIS.

TTC since August 2011 Me: 31 DH: 33
    May-September 2012: Monitored cycles with Letrozole
    October 2012: Cancelled IUI
    April 2014: IVF #1 w/ ICSI
    ER: 4/15 ET: 4/20 Beta #1 4/29: 54 Beta#2 5/1: 90 
    1st ultrasound: 5/13 (6w1d): HB 103 2nd Ultrasound: 5/22 (7w3d) HB 151

• rockkandirockkandi member
    edited July 2014
    Ugh it's so tough, because obviously I know people use it as a dog name but shoot we have a Lilly, Macie and Presley named dogs in our neighborhood so it seems anything goes for dog names these days. We were thinking more like John Wayne, the Duke kind of reference.
  • @eyefrog we already have a close friend with a LO named drake
  • I'm a SS and don't want to throw the poll.

I don't hate it, it's just nms. If you like it go for it!

• on the fence...I like it as a nickname definetly but not so much first name. Its the name of my friends Great Dane, that is actually what pops in my head.

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT...if its for you, do it!

;;)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I love the name and so does hubby but I obviously do not want to plague my sweet child with a bad name out of my selfish desires. Lol
  • MaebbMaebb member
    NMS. Makes me think of a dog, restaurant, or mayonnaise. But as others have said, it's totally up to you!

I don't think it's bad enough to "plague him with a bad name."
  • mc0113mc0113 member
    jconno said:
    No offense, but Duke has always been a dog's name in my mind.
    I agree! I have two family members with a dog named Duke. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • NMS but I don't think it's a horrible name. If you and H like it go for it.

I also totally agree with what PP said about people using human names on dogs. My cousin named her dog Emily (my name). What the heck?!

BabyFruit Ticker

<p align="center"
  • jconno said:
    I like it because it's a strong masculine name to go with a longer polish last name. My husband and I have loved it for a long time but my mother-in-law's giving us a hard time about it so it's making me second guess.
    If you and your husband love it, then by all means use it. Who cares what someone else's opinion is (including the ones here)! This is why my H and I want to keep our name choices a secret. I'm all set with hearing others opinions and suggestions. It's my child, not theirs.
    I agree! Plus my opinion is that it goes well with Bruce. If you love it and DH love it, but are unsure, think of how it sounds when you will be calling him at the park or at home for dinner. Picture him as an adult, applying for jobs, as a father, etc. If you still like it then go for it, it doesn't matter what MIL or strangers think. That's usually my go to solution. This is the reason we don't share names with anyone, even family. Then they don't get a say and I've never heard anything bad about their names after they're born. I also lean toward pretty traditional names, but ones that have meaning behind them. 
  • Pips09Pips09 member
    NMS, but it's not the worst. But I think it's sounds too much like Bruce to be a good sibling name. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• I agree with you @4littlebears‌! When I think about those things I really still love it. My hubby is a dr and so I automatically (obviously with no pressure on my children Lol let's be clear) try to imagine would the name sound respectful enough? My feelings on that are as long as he carries himself in a certain way you always be respected. But then we are also very athletic family and I feel like it's a very sporty name. Lol I feel like I'm overthinking it now!
  • We didn't tell ANYONE our name choice for this reason. I know my ILs would have had some opinions on Cezar ;)
  • I usually like more traditional names but I think a Duke is cute. So I voted for Duke :)
  • rockkandi said:

I agree with you @4littlebears‌! When I think about those things I really still love it. My hubby is a dr and so I automatically (obviously with no pressure on my children Lol let's be clear) try to imagine would the name sound respectful enough? My feelings on that are as long as he carries himself in a certain way you always be respected. But then we are also very athletic family and I feel like it's a very sporty name. Lol I feel like I'm overthinking it now!

That's funny you are married to a Dr. I'm a Dr's kid (actually a child of 2 Dr's! lol) Nobody really understands the mentality unless they're a child of or married to, lol. (Not that that has anything to do with your name choice.)

I think it fits your family and style :)
  • It's not my style, but not super out there. I agree the two "u" sounds may be a little awkward when saying them together. Go with it if you like it.
    If you like one syllable "D" names, what about "Dean"?
  • llbnellbne member
    I don't like it. In my opinion, Duke isn't a name, it's a title. I think it's odd - like calling a little girl Princess (certainly I wouldn't call a girl Duchess). Especially I think it is a major contrast with Bruce, which is such a 'sensible' name. But if you love it, go for it!
  • I think besides being single syllable and having the u sound, they don't really sound like they "go" together.

Plus I can't get past the association that my nutty SIL named my nephew (her DS from a marriage before my brother) Duke Earl.

I shit you not.
  • Lol @mommy5point0‌ I don't want to one of those!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"