January 2015 Moms

Flying at 27 Weeks

Okay, so the best man from our wedding is getting married on October 4th in Wisconsin. Both DH and I are invited, obviously, but I'm a little concerned with flying at 27 weeks pregnant. For those STMs+, would you suggest flying at that stage in pregnancy? I know that at that point I'm not supposed to be sitting for more than 2 hours straight or something like that. I'm also worried about finding out soon before the trip that I'm considered high risk and shouldn't be on the plane.

I would really love to make it to this wedding, but I also don't want to be out who knows how much money because at the last minute my Dr. determines I'm unable to fly.

Jan15 December Siggy Challenge: Holiday Fails
TTC Since 4/13 | Me: 28 DH: 29 | DX: PCOS + High T + Arcuate Uterus (11/13)
Cycle #1+2 (4/13-6/13): Natural Cycles = BFN | Cycle #3+4 (6/13-11/13): Anovulatory (Provera)
Cycle #5 (11/13-1/14): Femara + Clomid + Follistim = Cancelled | Cycle #6 (1/14-3/14): Benched
Cycle #7 (3/14-4/14): Femara + Follistim + Estradiol + Pregnyl + Progesterone
BFP: 4/22/14 | Due: 1/1/15 | TEAM BLUE!

Re: Flying at 27 Weeks

• It's really up to your Dr, but I flew at least six times through out my pregnany with my daughter, the last time being 32 weeks. I had no issues. Maybe you could go ahead and get the plane ticket and get the insurance on it so you can use it at a later date if something arrises.  Good Luck!

On a side note, i've never had so many strangers try to rub my bump, that was the worse part of all the flying.  It seriously wigs me out.

• We went to Mexico at 33 weeks first time around and I had no issues.
  • Loading the player...
  • I flew this preg at 11 weeks and was paranoid the whole time. My dr approved it but still. I was soooooo thirsty on the plane and it was a pain in the butt to carry all of my stuff and DS's stuff. Despite that.... I'd travel again at that stage.

Remembering how I was with DS around that time, I don't think I'd personally fly at 27 weeks. I know airlines allow it during that time though so technically it's ok. I'd be hesitant to commit especially if you think you might be high risk.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    BFP 1: 9/19/11 , DS born 5/28/12 @ 41 weeks

BFP 2: 11/8/13, NMC 11/27/13 @ 8w4d, we love you sweet baby!
    BFP 3: 5/16/14 Stick, sweet little one!
  • MichaelSC28MichaelSC28 member
    edited July 2014
    TLGBaby2 said:

It's really up to your Dr, but I flew at least six times through out my pregnany with my daughter, the last time being 32 weeks. I had no issues. Maybe you could go ahead and get the plane ticket and get the insurance on it so you can use it at a later date if something arrises.  Good Luck!

On a side note, i've never had so many strangers try to rub my bump, that was the worse part of all the flying.  It seriously wigs me out.

Strangers at the airport tried to touch your stomach...ugh. Totally not okay.

As others said just get the insurance for now. Its worth the money in your situation. But I hope you get to go!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • FTM here, but I'm in the same situation. My husband's best friend is getting married in CA which is a cross country flight when I'm 28 weeks. My doctor said just to book it with trip insurance bc it should be fine. I booked the flights, but this does remind me to go through with trip insurance. (I looked into it online before booking the flight and it looked like a company had trip insurance for my flight for about $30)
  • I think you've gotten good advice with regards to refundable ticket in the case that you are seemed high risk.

I flew when pg with DD and I'm going to be driving 8 hrs when 33 weeks. The OB just reminded me that pregnancy puts me at increased risk for blood clots so I need to get up and move every couple of hours throughout the trip. Have fun at the wedding!

BFP #1: 4/2/12 -- DD born 12/15/12. BFP #2: 4/1/14 -- CP. BFP #3: 4/28/14 -- EDD 1/10/15

Jan 15  NOV siggy challenge: 

• I just talked to my doctor about this today. She said i could travel internationally up to 34 weeks and fly domestically until 36 if there are no health issues. (She has to write me a note for the airline though). I'm especially excited since I have a wedding in St. John when I'm about 31 weeks. ...dreaming of white sandy beaches...
  • LanatirLanatir member
    edited July 2014
    With my first pregnancy, I didn't fly, but the 17 hour drives from VA to WI were tolerable for me (Edit-- I went at 9 weeks and again at like 20 weeks).  Around 30/32 weeks was when I started wanting not to drive more than about 4 hours, though, as I started getting uncomfortable.

As far as Southwest, they do fly into Milwaukee, so if you're in the southern or eastern part of the state for the wedding, that would be an option with the above mentioned refundable tickets.  Obviously, Southwest flies out of Richmond.  haha.

Yes, it will depend on your doctor, some, too.  My OB with DD had no restrictions on travel until 36 weeks.  This one says no travel after 30 weeks (we'll see about that.  I'm NOT missing 94 year old grandma's funeral if she died between now and January).  And of course, there's how you are feeling to consider, too.

Personally, it'd take a lot to keep me from traveling to Wisconsin to see my family and friends there.  :)  I hope it all works out for you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • TLGBaby2 said:

It's really up to your Dr, but I flew at least six times through out my pregnany with my daughter, the last time being 32 weeks. I had no issues. Maybe you could go ahead and get the plane ticket and get the insurance on it so you can use it at a later date if something arrises.  Good Luck!

I was trying to read up on the insurance and the few I found said that the insurance would not work if you couldn't fly due to pregnancy complications. :(
    Cycle #1+2 (4/13-6/13): Natural Cycles = BFN | Cycle #3+4 (6/13-11/13): Anovulatory (Provera)
    Cycle #5 (11/13-1/14): Femara + Clomid + Follistim = Cancelled | Cycle #6 (1/14-3/14): Benched

• As others said, it's up to your doctor.  My oldest friend died suddenly when I was 35 weeks, and my doctor told me he did not think it was a good decision to fly to Phoenix from DC for the memorial service.  He asked me how I'd feel delivering on a plane. :)

I think 27 weeks would be fine.

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• @willCMyink Is there some type of insurance that covers "Medical" reasons?  I would think the airline asking what type of medical issue would be in violation of your HIPPA rights, and I would have no problem informing them of that. 

• @WillCMyInk‌ I don't know if I missed this but how long is your flight?

Is it reasonable to drive just in case you are labeled high risk and not allowed to fly? You could always keep a list of hospitals along the drive as a safety?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    BFP 1: 9/19/11 , DS born 5/28/12 @ 41 weeks

BFP 2: 11/8/13, NMC 11/27/13 @ 8w4d, we love you sweet baby!
    BFP 3: 5/16/14 Stick, sweet little one!
  • My high risk doc (for twins) also gave the okay to fly up to 30 some odd weeks with check-ins at each of the appt to make sure everything is going well. I am planning for my last trip to be in late October 28-30 ish I think.
  • I am looking at flying over thanksgiving and I will be almost 34 weeks! I have no idea what the cut off is, I plan on asking at my appointment next week. I think 27 weeks would be fine.
  • I flew from MN to FL at 31 weeks and didn't have any issues!

~10.23.10 - Mr&Mrs ~ 04.12.13 - Daddy&Mommy~

Every Super Star needs a Sidekick! Miss B. is being promoted to BIG SIS ~ January 2015!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Baby GIRL #2 is due Jan. 7, 2015!

• I'm feeling a little bit better now. I am afraid of becoming high risk because I have PCOS which I'm told puts me at higher risk for GD and preeclampsia. The flight itself (depending on which one I take) should be 4-5 hours with one layover. I don't know that I'd ever even be in the air for more than 3 hours.

@TLGBaby2 - The insurance company is going to want documentation from a Dr. if you're not flying due to medical reasons. Otherwise anyone could say, "oh I had medical reasons".

• MichaelSC28MichaelSC28 member
    edited July 2014
    AlfiesMOM said:
    I am looking at flying over thanksgiving and I will be almost 34 weeks! I have no idea what the cut off is, I plan on asking at my appointment next week. I think 27 weeks would be fine.
    For domestic it's usually 36 week. Some airlines require a note, some don't.

Thanks for this info we are probably flying for Thanksgiving as well!  I didn't even think about that!  I need to ask at my next appointment. I am assuming you can just go to the website of the airlines to find out about needing a note?

Ugh..and didn't scroll down to see the clicky! sorry

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm flying internationally at 26-28 weeks. I am bringing a note with me just in case. You never know what asshole is going to be power tripping that day.
  • I flew two 8 hour rt flights during my last pregnancy, with the second being 28 weeks. It was mostly fine, except for the return trip. The only time I swelled throughout my pregnancy was then. It was horribly painful. I vowed not to voluntarily fly while pregnant again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"