March 2014 Moms

WWm14D? Naps

So I'm trying to wean Robert off his swaddle. I thought they were giving him toe blisters from the rubbing (when he kicks) but turns out it's from his playmat. Either way... Now that he's nearly 4 months I want to eventually live a swaddle free life haha

I'm doing one arm out and he generally sleeps through the night. I usually have to put his paci in halfway through a few times when he randomly wakes up but otherwise he's good.

Once he falls asleep for his naps he can last up to 2.5 hours as well.

But... How do I get him to actually fall asleep?? Today it took 20 minutes and 20 times I went in because he either spit his paci out or pulled it out with the one free arm.

He's definitely drowsy when I start the nap process.

Should I wait until he's ridiculously tired? Maybe he's not ready for one arm out?

Re: WWm14D? Naps

• I'm just throwing random ideas out there, but have you considered a loose swaddle? Where he starts out swaddled, and by the end of the night/nap it's just blankets loosely wrapped?
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Skylee never gets herself to sleep yet.  At this point I'm not super worried about it.  When she gets closer to a year I will probably start that process. For now I just feed her and rock her to sleep (or DH rocks her to sleep. She loves when that happens).  And I've never been able to swaddle her so I don't really have any helpful advice.  
    imageimage

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I read somewhere that when they get older babies freak out if you're in the room when they fall asleep but you're gone when you wake up. The blogger equated it to falling asleep in your bed and then waking up on your lawn lol.

Is that really an issue?
  • Merlin's Magical Sleepsuit. I got two for $14 on ebay used. In the swaddle she was up every 2 or 3 hours. Without the swaddle was a nightmare. The sleepsuit keeps slowly adding more time to her sleeping.

My kid doesn't nap for very long, she is a frequent catnapper (20 mins here, 30 mins there, 15 mins in the car), but is has WAY improved our night sleeping.

We call her Randy when she is in it.
    "I can't put my arms down!"
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    textimage

• Merlin's Magical Sleepsuit. I got two for $14 on ebay used. In the swaddle she was up every 2 or 3 hours. Without the swaddle was a nightmare. The sleepsuit keeps slowly adding more time to her sleeping.

My kid doesn't nap for very long, she is a frequent catnapper (20 mins here, 30 mins there, 15 mins in the car), but is has WAY improved our night sleeping.

We call her Randy when she is in it.
    "I can't put my arms down!"

Haha looks like she's wearing those dog training suits where they can bite you for practice!
    :P

Is it hot? Looks hot
  • lazyreaderlazyreader member
    edited July 2014
    I'm in the same boat as you with starting with an arm out. I also made a zippy zip knockoff thing. She looks like a penguin. It works pretty great but only if I catch her before she's tired. Otherwise she needs to be swaddled. When she's tugging a looser swaddle while she's in the penguin jacket And an arm gets out she's usually ok... But this is very sketchy because she also is hitting her stride in the 4 mo regression bs. Tonight's flavor is in a penguin suit + wrapped in stretch crotcheted blanket to pin her arms down. Prediction: arms free by midnight. Wake up by 2:30 for food. Back to sleep by 3. Wake again at 5:30. Actual: wake up at 1:15, eat sleep by 1:45. Poop very loud in her sleep at 2:15. New diaper and laying down chatting by 2:20 (asleep w/in a minute). Sleep til 6:30.
  • @SomersIsles‌ it's not hot. Emma sleeps in a onesie and socks inside the sleep suit and never feels hot or cool.

• I second the Merlin's Magic Sleep suit. DS naps 100x better at daycare since we bought it and takes up to 3.5 hour naps at home and at DC. I nurse him/they feed him and put him in it a little drowsy and he falls asleep on his own very soon afterwards with no fussing at all. DS has never been hot in it either and he just wears a onesie.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"