August 2014 Moms

NBR-Opinions

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: NBR-Opinions

• caybehcaybeh member
    Nope. No desire. I didn't read the books, and don't really want to.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• I read a synopsis of the books and decided it wasn't for me. If I'm going to read romance, it's more likely to be historical (though still very trashy), not bondage. I've heard lots of disappointment in the actor cast as the male lead's appearance.
  • Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • No interest.  I couldn't make it through the first book; I like my trash to at least be somewhat well-written, but 50 Shades was total garbage.  The cast also doesn't appeal to me at all, especially the guy.  Blah.
  • I'm currenty reading an in depth (hilarious) analysis of the books on Jenny Trout's blog.  It keeps me from having to read the book, but I get to know the plot.  I also don't have to rant at my husband about how terrible the book is because Jenny Trout is doing it for me.  So far, it's not made me want to read the book or the see the movie, it seems like a terrible representative of a true sub/dom relationship.  You want to see a good representation of what that type of relationship is supposed to be, rent Secretary with Maggie Gyllenhall. 
  • I never got around to it. From the sounds of it, I guess I didn't miss much! Thanks for saving me the time ladies! :)
  • I went against my instincts and read the book a couple summers ago. I have a masters in English, so maybe I am picky, but the writing was horrible. The plot line was also kind of lame. 
    That being said, I will not shell out $8 to see the movie in theaters, but if a girlfriend wanted to watch it on dvd, I probably would, just out of curiosity.
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyName Ticker
  • The books do not depict a healthy BDSM relationship, and it bothers me that so many people are getting their first exposure to that lifestyle through what is a pretty straightforward description of abuse under the guise of BDSM. I will not be seeing the movie, and I am happy to discuss the flaws in the book if anyone wants to.
  • The books do not depict a healthy BDSM relationship, and it bothers me that so many people are getting their first exposure to that lifestyle through what is a pretty straightforward description of abuse under the guise of BDSM. I will not be seeing the movie, and I am happy to discuss the flaws in the book if anyone wants to.

I'm curious.. I don't know anything about Bdsm.

I read the books. They were horribly written.. But I read them for the smut. (Although even that got redundant). They served their purpose though!! I'd watch the movie for curiosity's sake.
  • Not opposed to it, but I never read the books so its not exactly on my list of must see movies.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• chase16 said:

The books do not depict a healthy BDSM relationship, and it bothers me that so many people are getting their first exposure to that lifestyle through what is a pretty straightforward description of abuse under the guise of BDSM. I will not be seeing the movie, and I am happy to discuss the flaws in the book if anyone wants to.

I'm curious.. I don't know anything about Bdsm.

I read the books. They were horribly written.. But I read them for the smut. (Although even that got redundant). They served their purpose though!! I'd watch the movie for curiosity's sake.
    *** In case of quote fail, because I hate editing ***

I'm not an expert, so I hope anyone with more knowledge of the scene will jump in and contribute, but here's my take.

The fairly well-known watchwords of BDSM are "safe, sane, and consensual". The relationship and behavior described in 50 Shades fails hard on the consensual aspect. It involves coercion and manipulation of a young inexperienced woman by an older, much more experienced man. There is at least one scene in which she safewords and he does not stop, which automatically escalates the situation from consensual sensation play to physical abuse. The aftercare reads more like an abuser manipulating a victim than one sexual partner seeing to the needs of another. In general, if anyone is interested in experimenting with BDSM and finds themselves in a relationship like that they should run as fast and far as possible.

If anyone is interested in accurate and smokin hot BDSM smut, I strongly recommend a book called London Leather. It's independently published and I can't remember the author's name but you can find it with a Google search.
  • edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I read the first one and didn't ever get to the second one about a year or so ago. Right before I found out I was pregnant I picked it up and tried to re-read it. I admit, it did help during the first trimester when sex drive was low during that time. It took me forever to get through it though. I finished it finally, but i'm still stuck on the second book and honestly I doubt i'll read it. I don't really care to see the movie, so I doubt I will.

• RacllaRaclla member
    I read them all.
    They weren't good.
    I was just too curious to see what the hype was about.
    They were really quick reads because I skimmed most of it.

They did a bad job casting. I would have already reserved tickets to see Charlie Hunnam.
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    #2 EDD 8/8/14 - DS July 14
    2 Furry Kids - 
    Rosco: The most awesome pug ever.
    Pumpkin: The most non-catlike cat ever.  
  • stoofewok said:

I read the first and thought it was pretty terrible, but my friend said to keep going with the series because it gets better. I never got through the second. The casting is terrible, on both sides - but particularly with the girl.

Lol she was wrong.. They get worse! I barely made it through the last one!
  • I read the first book and about half of the second and I couldn't go any farther. The writing is TERRIBLE in my opinion, like a 12 year old girl wrote them. That type of controlling relationship is also NMS so there was really nothing appealing about it for me.

That being said, I think the trailer looks kinda interesting and I'm wondering how they are going to translate all of that crazy sex onto the big screen. What's the rating? Anyway, I'm sure I'll go see it with my sisters. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Mirena removed 11/10/11. BFP 02/20/13 - MMC discovered 4/17/13 @ 11w4d. 
    BFP 12/14/13, EDD 8/21/14.It's a BOY! DS born 8/15/14.

• I read the first book and about half of the second and I couldn't go any farther. The writing is TERRIBLE in my opinion, like a 12 year old girl wrote them. That type of controlling relationship is also NMS so there was really nothing appealing about it for me.

That being said, I think the trailer looks kinda interesting and I'm wondering how they are going to translate all of that crazy sex onto the big screen. What's the rating? Anyway, I'm sure I'll go see it with my sisters. 
    From what I have heard they are talking about have a rated R version and then a non rated on DVD. Not sure how true that is

• That would make sense @haliebabyx3. I hadn't heard that. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Mirena removed 11/10/11. BFP 02/20/13 - MMC discovered 4/17/13 @ 11w4d. 
    BFP 12/14/13, EDD 8/21/14.It's a BOY! DS born 8/15/14.

• I didn't really wanna read them, then a friend let me borrow it.  I tried to read it, but it was just to much for me....and I'm 21 (19 when i tried to read) and barely "experienced" myself so the termonology had me stuck sometimes. now my google search is forever tainted because I was looking up sex terms! lol oops i gave up. I'd rather just not. And who would I go watch the movie with,, in a public threate??? 
  • I didn't really wanna read them, then a friend let me borrow it.  I tried to read it, but it was just to much for me....and I'm 21 (19 when i tried to read) and barely "experienced" myself so the termonology had me stuck sometimes. now my google search is forever tainted because I was looking up sex terms! lol oops i gave up. I'd rather just not. And who would I go watch the movie with,, in a public threate??? 
    Lol I'll probably wait til it comes out on DVD and watch it with DH... ;)
  • 4PrivetDrive4PrivetDrive member
    edited July 2014
    I read all three. Why I did that I will never know. They are awful. Awful writing, awful plot, awful characters, awful sex scenes. I also think it is super weird that these characters are based on Bella and Edward from Twilight, who are also awful. 

I suggest reading this review on goodreads. It's even complete with GIFs. It's hilarious. 

ETA Zero, I have zero interest in seeing the movie.

Goob 01/26/12
    Olliekazam 08/18/14

• vk2204vk2204 member

I read the books and pictured Armie Hammer as Grey. I am disappointed in the trailer, I am not a fan of Ana.

• Nope. DIdnt read the books either. I just wasn't interested. I heard the writing was horrible and that really does me in.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• nyagocnyagoc member
    It didn't seem interesting enough for me to pick up the book in the first place.  I saw the trailer, and I wasn't impressed.  I think Secretary with Maggie Gyllenhall is probably a better movie.

• BeachMBeachM member
    I initially refused to read the first book but broke down after a friend begged me.  Basically she said I'd regret reading possibly the worst book ever written.  So, I read the first one.  And yes, it was as terrible as expected.

Will I see the movie?  Yes.  I think Jamie Dornan is super attractive.  He played The Huntsman in Once Upon a Time if anyone watches that show.  The trailer makes me think the movie will perhaps not be as ridiculously written as the book.  Maybe I'll end up being wrong.  If so, I'll just put in earplugs.  :)

• Well, I am definitely the minority here! Those books had me so enthralled I read all 3 in a week and a half. I couldn't put them down, I had to know what happened next. Seriously. Lol. I am not a fan of books so maybe that's why I don't see anything wrong with the writing? I am actually planning to read them again before the movie comes out to brush up. As much as Jamie Dornan disappoints me as Christian, I will still watch it. And all those people that wanted Channing Tatum to play the role got on my nerves. Yes he is hotter than hott but not sinister enough for the role of Christian Grey. Would have been nice to see that SOA actor play him but eh such is life I guess, lol.

After 6 losses, we are so happy to have our rainbow baby!

• I have no problem admitting that I read them, loved them, and can't wait to see the movie!! I liked the story and didn't pay much attention to the writing... It did get a little repetitive at times... But it defiantly spiced things up in the bedroom. :)
  • I read the first book. I didn't really think the writing was awful, but I couldn't get past how stupid the girl is. Seriously, she would let a man dictate her diet, her workout, who her friends are, what kind of car she drives, and more just because he's good in bed? I just couldn't continue reading the series, and the movie will probably piss me off more than the book did, so I won't be seeing it.

I'm glad I'm not in the minority here for not liking it. IRL, other women think I'm crazy for loathing the book so much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"