January 2015 Moms

Hypnobirthing or The Bradley Method

jujubean314jujubean314 member
edited July 2014 in January 2015 Moms
I'm researching which childbirth classes I'd like to take. I would appreciate input if you've had experience with either if these two methods.

A little about me first. I'm a Licensed Massage Therapist and I teach/help people to relax daily. I'm also an avid meditator.

I was thinking hypnobirthing because I'm pretty skilled in relaxation/ meditation/ altered states of consciousness and this would take it a step further. This is a 5 class series. However, I know more than just relaxation is needed for natural childbirth ;) and I've read The Bradley Method offers much on this exact subject. As well as focuses on the use of a partner as a coach. Unfortunately my husband would have a hard time taking off for most of the classes. This is a 12 class series. Time is valuable but preparing for childbirth can't be underrated.

Interested in feedback from those who have taken either course. Thank you in advanced. Light blessings to all!

Re: Hypnobirthing or The Bradley Method

• I am looking into them as well and my GF suggested Hypnobirthing, She loved it!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm reading the Bradley Method book on my own, but don't plan to take any classes. PP is right, Bradley does heavily involve the coach (most often the husband, but it does clearly state that "coach" is used because it could be anyone). As soon as I finish reading it myself, I'm planning to work through it again with DH.
  • Loading the player...
  • Not my experience, but...

I know a few couples who did the Bradley Method (love, loved it!) and then studied hypnobirthing on their own as well. They said the combination was good. Bradley Method really involves your partner. Is he willing to take an active roll in the process? My H is way too queasy and didn't prefer this. And, I am pretty damn independent :) We did nothing the first time, but I am reading a book on meditation & the birthing process this time.
    He's totally willing!! His job just won't allow him the time off needed, especially for 12 weeks of classes. He's my biggest supporter.

I'm very independant minded myself. I also definitely understand the turning inward and how strong it can make you. But honestly in his arms there's just an extra blanket if security, one I never knew could exist. He will be active in the labor process and there for whatever I need. He just won't be able to attend many classes, no matter which one I choose.

Thank you for your replies so far!
  • I myself am interested in both. My DH and I just took a Native Hawaiian birthing class (we are both Native Hawaiian) and we learned that even centuries ago, the men helped the women during childbirth and the women themselves would exercise a form of meditation.

I believe a combination of both would be great. Perhaps you should read the Bradley methods on your own, and inform your DH on his time since he's unable to attend most classes; and also take the hypnobirthing courses.
  • I myself am interested in both. My DH and I just took a Native Hawaiian birthing class (we are both Native Hawaiian) and we learned that even centuries ago, the men helped the women during childbirth and the women themselves would exercise a form of meditation.

I believe a combination of both would be great. Perhaps you should read the Bradley methods on your own, and inform your DH on his time since he's unable to attend most classes; and also take the hypnobirthing courses.

Omg. You are both gorgeous.

I think this may sound best. Reading about the Bradley Method and taking hypnobirthing... Hmmmm
  • I took Bradley with my first. We were well prepared for birth but it was lacking in breastfeeding and postpartum information. I now teach Birth Boot Camp. Also a comprehensive class like Bradley, but covers so much more! You can also take the entire class online! Bradley was so outdated. Videos from the 70s and an ancient workbook.
    Can't wait to meet our miracle this November!! BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You can email me if you have any questions abovebeyondbirth at gmail dot com
    Can't wait to meet our miracle this November!! BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hypno birthing is amazing and is a full birth prep course, not just relaxation techniques. I got to 9cm not thinking I was in "real labor" yet. Loved it
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Omg. You are both gorgeous.

I think this may sound best. Reading about the Bradley Method and taking hypnobirthing... Hmmmm

What an incredibly sweet thing to say! Thank you! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"