Natural Birth
Options

What pain management technique prepared you?

What technique (lamaze, hypno, bradly, etc) did you decide on, and do you think it really hoped you cope with the pain of labor and delivery?  I've never taken any prenatal classes other than a BFing class when pg with DS1 and that was really a waste, they didn't cover anything I hadn't read online anyway.  I considered Bradly classes with my 2nd pg but it was twins and just didn't seem worth it (and I needed a c/s due to A being breech anyway).  I'm considering going as natural as possible this time around and just curious what everyone decided on and if they felt it was worth it when the time came. 

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
BabyGaga

Re: What pain management technique prepared you?

• Options
    *LrCg**LrCg* member
    I never took classes I figured what could it teach me since my body already knew what to do. I did read Ina Mays Childbirth book & took comfort & ideas (arm wrestling is amazing during contractions!!) from the birth stories along with the chapters that explained what your body does during birth. I've had 3 natural births & never felt overwhelmed or unprepared.
  • Options
    Natal Hypnotherapy. I did a combo of NH and Bradley and didn't find Bradley beneficial at all.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did hypnobabies and I loved it so much I want to become an instructor to share with as many other moms as possible

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I did Hypnobirthing with both and LOVED it!  The key with this method is practice, you have to have enough time to devote to it where the techniques are second nature.  
  • Options
    aetgaetg member
    Honestly, it was a pain management technique, but just knowing the stages of labor helped me a LOT.  I didn't go into labor until push time and it was knowing that I was entering labor at transition that helped me figure out that the contractions I was having weren't going to last very long.  And listening to my body let me know that I was at the point of pushing even those the nurses didn't believe me until they checked.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We did bradley and it helped as far as knowing the stages and emotional signposts. It helped me during labor to know more what to expect from my body and be able to trust the process.
  • Options
    We did Bradley and I agree it helped us prepare for the stages of labor and also the variety of pain management techniques were great. I only used a few of them because DS was posterior and most of them hurt but it was great to have options!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    i took a hypnobirthing class. i listened to a particular relaxation/hypnosis track every night in bed. the class helped a lot with my confidence, education about the stages of labor, what interventions existed, and what i might want to do in various situations. and i do think the relaxation/hypnosis helped me subconsciously somehow.
  • Options
    I did Lamaze. It was wonderful for us. Dh was amazing at keeping me on track with my breathing. A few times I would start breathing too fast and he would make me look at him and breath with him until I was back on track. I was so relaxed during my whole labor. I never made a sound. I also agree that just knowing exactly what was going on with my body and being able to trust that I knew what was happening.
                    Our Blessing From God Through Adoption
                   Our Blessing After TTC for 6 Years (natural birth!)
                             EBFing, CDing, BWing, SAHM
  • Options
    I read the bradly book.

What helped me most was focusing on relaxing my muscles.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• Options
    I also read through Ina May and went to a few hynobirthing classes with DH. I also listened to the tracks at night in the bath and, while it was all helpful, I just kinda let my body take over and do it's thing. You can never really prepare fully, as every labor can be so different, but I think the key was having DH very apart of all the things I was doing to prepare myself because he was very in-tune and supportive throughout the whole labor (which allowed me to relax and be confident).
  • Options
    Honestly..... Mediterranean gilt!!!!
    I had read every book, took any class I could, chatted on forums but when it came down to show time all I could think of was how my mother, grandmother and great grandmothers had all had natural births many time over and in worse conditions then what we have here. I know it may not help much in regard to what you can do to prepare but that thought got me through 12 hours of labour!
  • Options
    I didn't take any classes but read up on the Bradley Method and Ina May. The main takeaways from those, as some other posters have mentioned, were knowing the "emotional signposts" and feeling confident that your body can do this on its own.

I almost wish I had taken a class though, because every single nurse asked me if I had. When I would say no, they tried to instruct me. I was doing just fine on my own, and their input was super distracting.

Good luck! Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll do great!
  • Options
    mb314mb314 member

I took Bradley courses.  I felt like it really prepared me and DH for understanding birth and interventions, and they helped DH and I have a tool box of knowledge that was helpful in labor.  However, I don't think I got a lot out of the pain management tools we went over in class.

What did the most for relieving the pain was being able to labor in the tub at the hospital.  I also labored in the shower at home.  The warm water in both instances helped me get through labor without ever even wanting an epidural (I knew that if I got an epidural, they would make me leave the tub, and I wasn't willing to do that). 

In the end, you know yourself best.  I didn't opt for Hypnobabies because I really am not the type to meditate and it just wasn't something I wanted to do.  A lot of the Bradley Method pain relief techniques involved DH touching me, and I knew that when in intense pain, I don't like people touching me.  Other people are the opposite. 

• Options
    Hypnobirthing (I did Gentle Birth and Bliss Born) really helped me.  I used the techniques a lot during my labor.  This time around I'm incorporating some aroma therapy into the mix.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    I didn't take any classes, but I read endless quantities of birth stories on-line. I think that alone helped me have more confidence in what I was doing. I just went with what felt right at the time. With my first birth I ended up humming through most of my contractions and that helped a great deal... I tried that with my second, but it was way more intense, so I think it was more like "buffalo sounds", haha. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    drpaynedrpayne member
    edited July 2014
    Bradley classes.  And I said a lot of Hail Marys during contractions O:-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"