Natural Birth

pitocin

So I was wondering if you had a hard time telling doctor/nurses you didnt want pitocin? Alot of times they try to push it on you basically. well for you hospital birth ladies that is.

Re: pitocin

• I had no issues with it but I had no need for it. I chose to stay at home and labor until my contractions were 3-1-1. I got to the hospital and was only 2cm (frustrating!) but contractions were very close and strong. Only took 4 hours to get to 10cm so it was never even a discussion. My very natural birth plan was very welcomed by the staff.

I would say you need to have a talk with your OB and go on a tour at the hospital and talk to the L&D nurses to see what their stance on pitocin/natural birth/ interventions is. If they are going to push it (and you are not able to change hospitals) I would make sure your SO is going to be able to stand up for your wishes during labor because you might not be able to or think about hiring a doula to help keep your labor on the path you want it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had both of my LOs in the hospital with a midwife and I was never offered pitocin. Both of my labors progressed smoothly so there was no need. They did give it me after both LOs were born to help with the afterbirth. It was just a low dose to help deliver the placenta and keep my uterus contracting down. I didn't object because LOs were already delivered and it was such a low dose it just helped move the final stage along and help with some of the bleeding.
  • Loading the player...
  • Pit was never mentioned to me and I never needed it, but both times I was in a hospital known for supporting low intervention births.  I would do two things: 1) discuss this with your provider ahead of time and write it up in your birth plan 2) labor at home.  If you arrive early, some hospitals will try to 'keep things moving', if you arrive late then you should be in a good contraction pattern and be far enough along where Pit will be less of an issue.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"