Special Needs

Conference to see Temple Grandin

Just a quick post to share that I just registered for an autism conference with Temple Grandin as the keynote speaker.  Its only a few weeks from now and in my town.  Pretty cool that I can see her and get clock hours from my district too.  WOOT! 

I will tell you guys all about it after I go!

Re: Conference to see Temple Grandin

• I saw her last fall at AANE's conference. She's grappled with her ToM deficit and broadened her understanding of how others on the spectrum think. Had some very good things to say about the importance of mentors and building on SIs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • Oh I will definitely report back on what I hear. 
    :D

I just find her interesting and with anything in life, its just another perspective.  She is obviously more of an anomaly than a rule anyway.  Probably her ToM deficits makes her struggle with thinking that not everyone sees in pictures as you described it.  I have a feeling my DS does see in pictures or maybe even words. 

He is so hyperlexic that his SLP did this little experiment the other day.  We are trying to get him to choose when there is not right answer.  So she asked him do you want _____ or ______.  I think he feared doing something wrong because he looked at her and smiled at me and then looked at her.  He started messing with the hem of his pants (I have never seen him do these nervous habits at all except around her) and we tried plenty of repeating the question.  This resulted in echolalia of the question when he finally responded.  Then she grabbed a paper and wrote her question and the answers.  He immediately pointed to the word horse and said "I want the horse!" 

This is so odd to me because at home he will choose stuff all day long from verbal questions.  He loves to label pictures (this is how I expanded his speech because he had 5 words at two years old)  Although he also asks all day long what things say if he doesn't know.  Last night he was asking me if the box of diapers said "Babies Us, Pampers, and Toys Us"  He did not catch that the "R" in those phrases acted as part of the words.  Also when I stream videos from Amazon he will tell me the number of the episode as well as the title-- maybe with his own pronunciation, but its always close and it may have been days or weeks since he has seen the phrase.  The first time he did it when he was very young, it freaked me out.  Like you have said too Auntie, he sometimes tells me where to drive or asks to stop at an upcoming place because even before he turned 4 last month, he paid that close attention. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"