Special Needs
Options

Long time lurker and intro...finally

I have been a lurker of this board for a while now and learned a lot! My 5 year old son is ASD. He was diagnosed last summer right after the DSM changed, so I have done a lot of reading about AS, even though it doesn't apply anymore. Anyway, he just finished a year of special ed prek and will be in mainstream kindergarten starting next week! ( we have year round school ). DS loves, loves trains! I've never know so much about trains! Social skills and anxiety are the big focus right now with the transition to kindergarten. Oh and he has a 3.5 year old NT sister. I've had a sneaking suspicion even pre diagnosis that I belonged on this board.

Re: Long time lurker and intro...finally

• Options
    Welcome!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • Options
    Welcome!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks. Im second guessing everything right now with this kindergarten thing, which is mostly my anxiety. This board seems to be a good support!
  • Options
    The mainstream setting is definitely where he needs to be. I'm more second guessing if we advocated for enough support for him. For his transition to kindergarten he's only getting pulled out once a week for social skills. There seem to be so many unknowns since he's never been in kindergarten, but he has an IEP yearly review end of September, so we could change things then.
  • Options
    Welcome to our board!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Welcome. We are newly diagnosed too, but my son just turned 3. For us, the psychologist and the team who diagnosed him said he would benefit the most from being in a mainstream class, but to have some support there.. Right now he is in a daycare with 15 other kids in his group and he is doing well, but from what I have read (I also read on AS and HFA, the fact that DSM changed and the name of the diagnosis, I believe same things still apply) kindy and school can be quite different. Good luck, I hope all goes well for you. And again, welcome to the board.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"