3rd Trimester
Options

General anaesthesia c section- anyone have one before?

I have read many posts about epidural c-sections, but not any with general anaesthetics only. Has anyone had one like this? I am having one based on my group of Dr's recommendations. Very long story short, I cannot have an epidural. I am critically allergic to the class of anaesthetics used in all epidurals and because of spine surgery issues, I was advised that this is the best alternative for both my safety and DS. The spinal surgery that I had was HORRIBLE and was the last time I have had any major procedure. This is one of the big reasons I put off having a baby until now. Of course, the Drs are all very informative and confident. I'm very glad that I have such a competent team, but I'd love to hear more from a Patient's perspective.

Re: General anaesthesia c section- anyone have one before?

• Options
    Vaginal birth is an option, but not recommended by my Drs b/c of my spine. I have extensive hardware and fusions along with unresolved muscular/nerve damage. 
  • Options
    My sister had both hers under general. 

The first one she said was more difficult because she planned on a vaginal. They had to emergency knock her out and so she woke up not pregnant with a baby. She said it just took her a little while to bond because it was so surreal

#2 they planned the general and she said she had no mental issues because she knew going in baby was coming out while she was sleeping

NOW, having said that I think that bonding for a lot of FTM's is hard in general and an immediate lack of bonding for the first bit is not uncommon for a lot of people. The whole thing is surreal and it doesn't matter how they come out for it to feel that way especially with your first.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My friend had one and was overall happy with her experience. Only issue was that baby was initially groggy and breastfeeding was affected but no long term issues for mom or baby.

• Options
    I'm facing the possibility of one for a second time due to low platelets, although I can't tell from personal experience. One thing my dr said is that a difference between general and the spinal is that for the spinal they will give you it pretty early on in the surgical prep and then do the other things like insert the catheter, prep the site, etc. But, for general, they will do those things Before I'd go under to minimize the amount of anesthesia the baby gets.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    One of my best friends recently we through this. Everything was just fine and they made sure the LO went right to Daddy after the surgery. It will be OK hun.
  • Options

My siblings and I were all born by C-section under general anesthesia.  It was the late 70's and early 80's.  My brother and I were born in South Africa, so I think it was a fairly common way of doing C-sections there back then.  My sister was born rurally in Canada, and while having an epidural or spinal block was an option back then, they didn't have the skills or resources in the rural hospital to actually do one.

I know it seems scary because you're being put completely out, and it's hard to imagine that something like that might affect the baby... but all three of us came out of it A-OK.  :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I had general anesthesia when I had my DS.  It wasn't the best situation, but it wasn't bad either.  I woke up a little groggy, but they brought my DS to me immediately.  It took about an hour and a half from the time he was born until I got to hold him.  I was bummed at first that everyone saw him through the nursery window before me, but I was still the first to hold him.  I didn't have any problems bonding with him, but we did have trouble breast feeding.  I'm not convinced it was because of the general or the c/s though.  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all for your posts, I thought it was a bit unconventional, but I know this is a different situation than most. It's kind of weird to think I'll go to sleep, then wake up with Layne here already! I think DH is more worried than I am at this point. My Dr has told me for years that it was likely that I would need a c sect, so I have been used to the idea for awhile. We just didn't know for sure how the anaesthesia would play out until after the consult.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"