Postpartum Depression
Options

Antenatal Depression

I know that this may not be the right board, but I can't really seem to find the right board.  This is the closest that I can find.  Just wondering did any one have any problems with Antenatal Depression? This is my first and I just assumed that I was going crazy because of pregnancy hormones but now I'm starting to think that it's something more.  I'm no where near suicidal, but I'm definitely riding the crazy train and that makes me feel even more crazy.  Any thoughts or suggestions? I don't have another drs. appointment for a few weeks to talk to my doctor.

Re: Antenatal Depression

• Options
    flclflcl member
    I'm sorry you're not feeling great... pregnancy can do all sorts of crazy stuff to us.  How far along are you?

I've dealt with depression since I was a teen.  Because it's something I've always struggled with, my doctors and therapist have talked to me about the illness throughout all of the stages of my life, before pregnancy, during, after....

How are you feeling?  Are you able to get through your day-to-day activities?  Have you talked to anyone else about this?  Two things come to mind: 1) Talk to your SO or someone close to you to help monitor you and your feelings.  Also, let them know ways they can help.  It's normal to feel emotional during pregnancy nut you know it's a real issue when you're not able to function, when things that normally make you happy don't.  2) Call your doctor to see if you can go in earlier.  If you're feeling really down, I wouldn't wait a few weeks before talking to someone to get some help.

Good luck and I hope things start feeling better soon.

• Options

After reading some of the things on here and on the PPD site, I may be over reacting... I've never had any problems with depression and I have no problems making it through the day... I'm just super emotional and I can't seem to stop crying.  It happens most when people ask about the baby and am I excited and things like that.  I don't know why, but I can mostly relate it to an anxiety attack ( I had them a few times in college) where I just instantly get over whelmed and freeze up like a deer in the headlights and panic.  That and I am super stressed with work right now, but I have also been away from home for the past 3 weeks and I go home in two days so I'm going to get home and then see how it goes

BTW, Thank you everyone for the advice, I'm definitely going to keep it in mind and watch for signs.

flcl - I'm a few days short of 6 months.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have suffered with anxiety off and on throughout my life and it hit me HARD during the 3rd trimester and post partum.

If you feel "off" and the signs of anxiety that you know from your past, just keep your eye on it and mention something to your OB or MW as soon as you think you might need help leveling off.

• Options
    LaceypjLaceypj member

I'm happy I saw this post, because I've been feeling my depression flare up quite a bit recently. It's not mood swings, because I don't get mean, I start to feel the way I did when my depression was at its worth, almost a year ago. I've honestly been really freaked out about dealing with postpartum, and I'm afraid it's going to hit me really hard...do you guys have the same feelings ever?

• Options

So today I woke up feeling just blah, not good, not bad, just blah.  This is not an unplanned pregnancy and I am happy about it, but I have learned that I don' t love being pregnant, I don't like not feeling like myself and who ever came up with this pregnant glow is full of crap.  I've never dealt with any depression before, or have never had it bad enough that I recognized it for what it is, so I'm not sure how to handle this.  A co-worker who has gone through this keeps trying to talk to me and eventually I just cry and then leave mad that I cried. I"m just an irritated mess right now.

And yes, Laceypj, I am worried that it will hit me hard after the baby is born as well, but I'm not even sure what I'm looking out for since I have no idea if I really even have the baby blues... No idea...

• Options
    flclflcl member
    @laceypj: yes, I was really worried about ppd while I was pregnant.  I weaned off my antidepressants and was really nervous about the depression hitting any day.  What I realized was that ruminating on that fear only made things worse.  So, whenever that thought popped up, I would acknowledge the possibility, think about my resources and let that thought run its course.  I also would do check-ins with my therapist.  If you talk to someone, monthly or every other month check-ins might be helpful.  If not, let your doctor know what's going on.  It may also be good for you to let your SO know what you need to feel supported.

@Gapin1aj: I hated being pregnant and felt so guilty for feeling that way.  Your body goes through all these changes and your hormones goes nuts.  I cried all the time at the smallest things.  Maybe you should let your co-worker know that right now isn't the best time to be discussing this with you.  Thank her for being supportive but you're feeling a little emotional at the moment.  Talk to your doctor too.  Most medical practices do a really good job screening for ppd.  Mine did a screening before giving birth, had someone meet with me at the hospital afterwards and did more screening at my follow-up appointments as well as my son's 2 month physical.  GL ladies!
  • Options
    lb1117lb1117 member
    I had always struggled with anxiety. Pregnancy made it a million times worse and it was actually pregnancy that pushed me to talk to my dr about being on meds since therapy wasn't helping as much. It's a real thing and if you're having a hard time, talk to your dr. You deserve to feel good and happy! 

Congrats to my TTC buddy Madeline! Cheering for all the strong 3T ladies! 

TTC since March 2012; DX: PCOS 4/2013 
    BFP 7/6/2013; EDD 3/7/2014 
    Diagnosed with Pre-E: 2/15/201
    Emergency induction: 2/16/2014
    Baby E born: 2/16/2014 at 12:56pm. 5lb 15oz

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had horrible PPD with DD and honestly I ignored the signs during my pregnancy which just heightened my anxiety and depression. Though I weaned off years ago I am on a preventative does of 50 mg to help through pregnancy and after esp! Its up you if you choose to take meds while pregnant. For me Its kinda necessary to get through the day. Speak to your doctor and see what they say. But like I said its your choice to medicate or not. I do suggest to def keep an eye on these symptoms after baby. If you want to do natural vitamins and such you will need to start as soon as baby is born to become effective (they take a bit of time to work) and are generally very safe while BFing. Good luck and happy thoughts!
  • Options
    I am 21 months pp and still struggling with PPD but yes, you can have antenatal depression and just because you have never experienced any issues with depression before, doesn't mean that you are immune to PPD and antenatal depression either.  I would say bring it up to your doctor at your next appointment and let them know.  They can help you decide what to do from there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"