December 2013 Moms

Healthy To-Go Breakfast Ideas?

RockiesNuggetRockiesNugget member
edited July 2014 in December 2013 Moms

So after the thread that Breastfeeding causes us to want ALL THE FOOD and mainly sugar, I am attempting to cut back on the amount of sugar that I have been eating. I leave the house around 6 and usually grab a ceral bar and banana to eat on my way to work and then at work around 8-8:30 I have oatmeal and a boiled egg. Any ideas for a quick breakfast item that could replace the cereal bar, but still be easy to grab and go? (I am also avoiding dairy.)

ETA: changing milk to dairy

Not bumping on The Bump anymore

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Great Support, Great Conversations, and more than just Cloth Diapering at our new home

Re: Healthy To-Go Breakfast Ideas?

• If you have a blender, you could have smoothie packs ready to make every morning? Or you could grab kind bars or something like the cereal bars but healthier.
  • JRT512JRT512 member
    If you have time to prep in advance--on Sundays I make toasted English muffins with turkey bacon and scrambled egg whites, then wrap each one in foil and put in the fridge. In the morning, microwave for 30 seconds in a paper towel and good to go! The protein helps me go longer before I need to eat again.
  • Loading the player...
  • I do egg white muffins with spinach and turkey sausage crumbles. Bake them at 350 for 25-30 minutes and put in fridge for the week and warm in microwave for about 15 seconds.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the ideas. I've done the egg cups before, but I usually carry them into work to eat. I do like the idea of making a few egg on english muffin sandwiches on Sunday and then grab on the way out the door. The main thing is I have been horrible about planning ahead since LO has been born, but this has made me a little bit more determined.

I've done the Larabars before, so those or the Kind/Luna bars could be in my bag for emergencies. @EatsRitz I agree with you that natural sugar is healthier for you ;) And really it is the processed sugars that I need to cut out right now.

@mamagplus4chix I'm going to have to locate some non-dairy yogurt to try this.

Thanks again for all the ideas.

Great Support, Great Conversations, and more than just Cloth Diapering at our new home

• bty19bty19 member
    Why not make your own version of a cereal bar that is not full of sugar? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I love this post and it could've been written by me! Just this week I have cut out cereals that have too much added sugar. I've always known that cereal and granola/snack bars just make me crave more carbs, but it is a hard habit to break because it's so much easier to grab packaged snacks than prepare something in advance. I eat a banana on the way to work and then I pour cereal into a reusable cup and add milk from home that I put in a water bottle. I've switched to Kix, Cheerios, some of the Kashi or puffins cereal that have no more than 6g added sugar. I'm also going to have oatmeal on some days. I need more protein-based ideas and like the ones posted here.

Would yogurt or Kefir satisfy you?

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
    BFP #2: 3.26.13, EDC: 12.7.13. Anya born December 9th, 2013!
  • Love the overnight oats in a jar. I usually add some fresh fruit and chopped walnuts to mine.

• I love this post and it could've been written by me! Just this week I have cut out cereals that have too much added sugar. I've always known that cereal and granola/snack bars just make me crave more carbs, but it is a hard habit to break because it's so much easier to grab packaged snacks than prepare something in advance. I eat a banana on the way to work and then I pour cereal into a reusable cup and add milk from home that I put in a water bottle. I've switched to Kix, Cheerios, some of the Kashi or puffins cereal that have no more than 6g added sugar. I'm also going to have oatmeal on some days. I need more protein-based ideas and like the ones posted here.

Would yogurt or Kefir satisfy you?

Yogurt normally doesn't satisfy me for breakfast, so I normally eat it as my dessert after lunch or a snack with other things. It is one of my favorite things, so I have been missing it going dairy free.

• @RockiesNugget‌ so delicious is coconut milk based, and pretty good.

I am going to try this ASAP. Thanks!

• I've been making smoothies lately (the nutribullet is awesome btw)- spinach, banana, strawberry, oatmeal and almond milk is really good. Plus the oatmeal really helps with supply. Then I'll have a Special K flatbread breakfast sandwich (also yummy)!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"