October 2014 Moms

Tips and Tricks anyone?

Post them if you have them, ask for them if you need help with something in particular!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tips and Tricks anyone?

• Loading the player...
  • Is a warning the same as a tip?  I found that oxyclean stain stick would eat through the fabric of some of the Carter's baby outfits.  Now I dilute all of the stain products for use on my baby/toddler clothing.
    Interesting.  I only ever used the Dreft spray or the BRU version of stain spray, and they were fine.  Oxyclean is no joke, though!
  • @persephonerose- have you noticed this with the oxy powder, too?  I love the powder, but started using it when my son was older (I'd say a year and 1/2 ish).  I've had good luck soaking stained clothes in a sink full of water and oxy powder.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • FTM but DH is into all kinds of things and I like to use Dawn. Just put the regular blue Dawn on the stain/smell. One time he smelled like jet fuel (pretty similar to diesel) and Dawn was the only thing that diluted it. Also gets rid of his random, not really sure what that is?, grease stains.
  • FTM but DH is into all kinds of things and I like to use Dawn. Just put the regular blue Dawn on the stain/smell. One time he smelled like jet fuel (pretty similar to diesel) and Dawn was the only thing that diluted it. Also gets rid of his random, not really sure what that is?, grease stains.
    I've heard that blue Dawn is kind of magical in that way.  It can clean, like, anything.
  • You may already know this, but I recently learned how to get red drink stains out of the carpet. If its a fresh spill, dry up the excess liquid and sprinkle salt all over. Ler the salt soak up the liquid and then vacuum. For an old red stain, cover with a damp soapy rag and place a hot iron on top. It will (usually) steam the stain into the rag.

DD - 4/9/08      DS1 - 7/26/12     DS2 - 10/7/14

• SusieBW said:
    FTM but DH is into all kinds of things and I like to use Dawn. Just put the regular blue Dawn on the stain/smell. One time he smelled like jet fuel (pretty similar to diesel) and Dawn was the only thing that diluted it. Also gets rid of his random, not really sure what that is?, grease stains.
    I've heard that blue Dawn is kind of magical in that way.  It can clean, like, anything.
    It IS! I wash my dog with it and everything. Haha!
  • MsMacual said:
    @persephonerose- have you noticed this with the oxy powder, too?  I love the powder, but started using it when my son was older (I'd say a year and 1/2 ish).  I've had good luck soaking stained clothes in a sink full of water and oxy powder.
    I will presoak in the oxy powder but not using the full amount recommended, I only use about 1/4 of the amount. I have had no issues with it like that.  Oddly enough I had never had the oxy stick affect other clothing brands. Just Carter's brand stuff.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • ss265ss265 member
    MsMacual said:
    @persephonerose- have you noticed this with the oxy powder, too?  I love the powder, but started using it when my son was older (I'd say a year and 1/2 ish).  I've had good luck soaking stained clothes in a sink full of water and oxy powder.
    You didn't ask me but I'll answer. I soak DS's clothes in Oxy powder and water fairly regularly and have never experienced the cloth breaking down. I have been able to successfully get everything out of his clothes, except for mold. (usually happens when he pukes on something and I forget to clean it until 2-3 days later).

• Anybody have any tips on closet organization? Storage of clothes you don't want to give up but need out of the way?
  • Anybody have any tips on closet organization? Storage of clothes you don't want to give up but need out of the way?

I use giant soft plastic zipper bags. They're long enough so I can put my clothes right in there, still on the hangers. I use them to store winter clothes/non-maternity clothes I can't wear. I throw a few cedar balls in to repel moths, zip up, and slide under the bed. You can find them online or at the Container Store.
    BabyFruit Ticker

@MrsBabe614‌

How long do you let it sit on the stain before washing it? And can I just throw it in the machine or do I need to rinse it off first?

image         image

@MrsBabe614‌ How long do you let it sit on the stain before washing it? And can I just throw it in the machine or do I need to rinse it off first?
    @pnwlover12 I just put Dawn on the spot, scrub it into the fabric with my fingers, and then toss it in the washer. You don't have to wash it off first. Unless you have a giant stain that takes a lot of soap! I haven't had that myself though. Sometimes if it's bad, I'll let it set for 20 minutes; like with the gas smell. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"