March 2015 Moms
Options

Cell free DNA test

I'm being offered the cell free DNA test for chromosomal abnormalities instead of the usual screening for this pregnancy (my second). I'm planning to do it assuming my insurance covers it - the medical argument for doing it is a no brainer. But on the curiosity end, I'm wondering if they tell you the sex of the baby with the results? Anyone know? Thanks

Re: Cell free DNA test

• Options
    How do they do a DNA test without cells?  Hows that possible?  

• Options
    I think it's called different names in different areas. They didn't tell me any brand name. It's a blood test that is done anytime after 10 weeks that finds fetal DNA in the maternal blood and analyzes it for genetic/chromosomal abnormalities like Down's syndrome.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That was offered to me yesterday and I decided to get it. My insurance covers it 100%. I was told that it will reveal the sex. Also, it's one blood test instead of the 12 and 16 week blood tests.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
  • Options
    I was told that it's starting to be offered to all pregnant women, not just high risk but I'm sure it depends on your OB.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    35+, it was offered to me and I can take it at 10 weeks. Yes, it will tell you the gender. There are different names for this test, the one I'm having is called NIPT

• Options
    MandJS said:
    daizedoo said:
    35+, it was offered to me and I can take it at 10 weeks. Yes, it will tell you the gender sex. There are different names for this test, the one I'm having is called NIPT
    FTFY

• Options
    I'm not sure what it's called besides the name I posted. Can't find a lot of info online.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"