December 2014 Moms
Options

Anyone else moving into a larger apartment before baby comes?

All I know is that with DH in the military for the past 6 years you would think that we would have learned. We were on the pretense that we would be here til October, now it's currently May, and that's now in the air to possibly November 2015. We live in a 800-square foot one-bedroom apartment. We've been so back and forth of whether to get a larger apartment but I'm just to the point where I'm over it and the stress it's bringing. So, I put my foot down tonight and we're going to be safe than sorry. There's a 2-bedroom that opens up next month in our building that I am hoping we can reserve. I'm just honestly not looking forward to shuffling all our crap again when I feel like I just did this a few months ago, which we did... 
BFP #1 - 12.25.13 // MMC - 01.23.14
BFP #2 - 03.27.14 // EDD - 12.07.14

Re: Anyone else moving into a larger apartment before baby comes?

• Options
    I wish we could afford it right now! We are in a 2br with our 4yr old son. We are hoping to go to a 3br next summer since the baby will be in our room at first anyway. It's just going to be very cramped in there!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    racheldiariesracheldiaries member
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, we could really use the second bedroom. I wouldn't have minded so much if we were only here til May but I feel cramped as it is just with the few baby things we have out. We've moved 4 times in 6 years all to different states.  :)) We moved here in January. The cost is concerning to us but we'll manage fine I'm sure. We will have to pay a $500 transfer fee since we're breaking lease even though we're staying with the same apartments. We were back and forth about hiring movers but thankfully the apartment opens up on the time frame when my husband took 10-days off from work so he'll be around to do quite a bit. Then the increase in rent is quite a bit, but their running a special so I'm hoping that we end up paying about the same as we do now. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you wont see a significant increase in rent, I'd go for it. If not, 800sq ft ain't bad, at least around here. It might be different when you have the baby stuff set up too.
  • Options
    We're upgrading to renting a house about 65$ more than what we're paying now for a 1 bdrm 600 Sq foot apartment. We're already pinched for space and were gonna make it work if we had to but got the house come.into our lap. I say get the bigger place so you pint feel cramped. Babies come with nothing but aquire everything once they arrive !
  • Options
    We just moved from a 2 bedroom apartment to a 3 bedroom house. Our apartment was teeny and we were busting at the seams with our two boys and two big dogs. Adding a baby to that would have been miserable. Plus we needed a yard!

While I don't exactly think you have to have a two bedroom place, I do think the extra space will make a lot of things so much easier and less stressful.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    We just moved this week from a 2 bedroom apt to a 3 bedroom house. I love the space but moving Sucked! We almost tripled the space we have and I think it's well worth it
  • Options
    We will be moving from our three bedroom flat to something with more rooms. We've been on the hunt for a new place for the past couple of months with no luck. Everything here moves so quickly that's it's hard to even look at a place before it's gone (it doesn't help that it's peak PCS season here). It's very discouraging. My husband is constantly gone for work, and then I have family coming to visit for a month so our time to find a place is dwindling so quickly, my stress level is through the roof. 
    From Nebraska to Germany, the adventures of the Zwillinge.

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options
    We are home hunting right now so most likely we'll be moving soon! It's stressful but we need the space and our apartment has sucky heating and cooling. Not comfy for a new baby
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'll be moving twice before the baby comes. Once tomorrow from my apt to my bfs and then we will both move into my condo (rented it out for an adventure-Boy did in get one) in as little as 5 weeks.
  • Options
    Totally know the feeling of wanting to move *smh* have been trying to find a new house since April and have found NOTHING. Havent even out our house up since the market is so bad dont wanna sell ours and have no where to go.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Baby #1 7/16/10
    Baby #2 11/14/12 
    Baby #3 12/11/14
    Baby #4  3/30/17
    Baby #5 2/28/19 
    Baby #6 Miscarriage
    Baby #7 7/3/22
    Naturally with PCOS

• Options

We are! Our current house is 900 square feet, 3 teeny bedrooms, and there are 5 people, dog, and cats. We don't have much land, so our livestock are at my parents and I have to go there at least twice a day to take care of them (horses, chickens, cow, and up till last week pigs).

Once our house sells we are buying a 1900square foot farm house with LAND! Yay! Our house is scheduled to sell on or before September 16th :)

I'm not hungry, I'm HUUUNNNNNGGGRRRRRYYYY! NOW!

Dec 2014 Dec Siggy, Free For All

Big E- 2008

Miss M- 2011

Baby Z- 2012

Baby Smoosh, Due Dec 2014

• Options
    We had been thinking about moving anyway before the baby. Was in a 900 sq ft 3 bedroom apartment with 2 roommates and 2 giant dogs. 
    There was no way my baby was growing up at that particular apartment complex. Not child friendly at all. We knew this was the part of town where we wanted to stay long term (great school systems, good neighborhoods, near the state Reservoir) so we went ahead and bought a house. 
    Come to find out anyway- renting a place (with less sq ft no less) is the same per month as mortgage+utilities in buying a house. And most rental places don't allow large dogs, especially not our Doberman, so it was either stay in the crappy apartment or buy a house. 
  • Options
    You'll be glad you did it.  We moved with 2 kids (2 and 10 months at the time) last fall - not easy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We bought a house and moved when I was 7 months pregnant with our first.  It was kind of a pain, but at least I didn't have to move anything around!  ;)  I got to sit on the couch and tell people where to put things.  

I'm so glad we did it, though.  It's the perfect house for us and now we have room for this little one too.  :)  You won't regret it.

Started TTC "2.0": 6/13, First round of Clomid: 3/14, BFP: 4/14, EDD: 12/23/14, C-Section: 12/18/14
    Nathan and Nicholas are going to have so much fun together!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Not this time around, but we moved when I was 6 months pregnant from a small one-bedroom apartment to a three-bedroom house. Money was really tight for awhile, but it was the best decision in the long run. Now with baby #2 on the way, we don't have to stress about where people will sleep and we still have our guest room until I go back to work from maternity leave next year. 
  • Options
    We aren't moving this time, but we moved when DS was 4 months old. When he was born we lived in a tiny studio-esque apartment. It was tight with all of the baby stuff, but we used a mini-crib instead of a full-size and had very little gear.

If you have the option to move before the baby is here, I would do that. It was hard moving with an infant and trying to coordinate babysitters while we packed and drove back and forth between homes.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • Options
    We're moving this weekend from a 60s 4-bedroom house, to a newer house with more space that should be more practical with kids.  I admire those of you that can manage in a small apartment with 2 kids!  We've gotten pretty good at not accumulating stuff, but that's another level.
    TTC #1 since 4/09 w/ MFI
    IVF #1, 7/10: Cancelled due to dominant follicle; IVF #2, 9/10: c/p; FET #1, 11/10: c/p; IVF #3, 4/11: BFN; FET #2, 6/11: BFP! Beta #1 = 118 (11dp2dt), Beta #2 = 1975 (16dp2dt)
    DS born 2/17/12

TTC #2
    IVF #4, 11/13: BFN; IVF #5, 3/14: BFP! Beta #1 = 59 (11dp2dt), Beta #2 = 406 (15dp2dt)
    EDD 12/19/14

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We just moved last Saturday in a house that is actually smaller than the last one since my husband had moved his business out of our house and we couldn't afford the bigger space for just he two of us.  I love our new house but unpacking has been a nightmare.  I can't make anything fit and my DH doesn't want to put anything into the garage even though we got it for storage and park our cars in the driveway.  I'm about to throw a ton of stuff away/free cycle/goodwill.  I don't care, but it if doesn't have a place it has to go.  I'm so tired of being overwhelmed in this mess!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Have you thought about on base housing at all? It might be better than renting an apt.
  • Options
    We just bought our first house together, and despite a surprise plumbing issue we're pretty thrilled. :) Right now it seems so big - in reality it's pretty tiny but compared to the before it's a mansion.  I'm sure a baby will fill it up in no time at all.  I'm loving getting all settled in, I've never unpacked so fast before in my whole life!
  • Options
    vmkidder said:
    Have you thought about on base housing at all? It might be better than renting an apt.
    We've always lived off base as we're able to actually save money since our apartments are always below the allotted housing allowance for his pay grade and that's including utilities too. The housing here is really nice though.

So glad we aren't the only ones moving. We're just moving one floor up so I don't think it will be that difficult. 

• Options

vmkidder said:

We've always lived off base as we're able to actually save money since our apartments are always below the allotted housing allowance for his pay grade and that's including utilities too. The housing here is really nice though.

So glad we aren't the only ones moving. We're just moving one floor up so I don't think it will be that difficult. 

Me and MH lived off base as well, for similar reasons, but it was just the 2 of us at the time. if we had kids we probably would have moved to on base housing. It was pretty nice where we were too.

• Options
    When we had DD we lived in a 1br home it was ok for a few months. We put it on the market and actually move to a 3br apartment while it was listed on the market because we ran out of space. We felt almost grown out of that house before we moved in we just closed on our new house with a five bedroom and it is perfect especially with this new bundle!
  • Options
    bombe4bombe4 member
    We are in the process of looking for a new place. We are currently in a one bedroom apartment with DD's crib in our room. With another little one on the way we definitely need to get a bigger place. We are looking at two today and two tomorrow. Hoping to find something soon!

BabyFruit Ticker

Favorite Teen Crush: Zach Morris

My special Little Lady
  • Options
    edited July 2014

My husband and I are going to move from a one bedroom apartment on the 2nd floor to a one bedroom on the first floor. My knees hurt so bad when I go up the stairs.

• Options
    We will be doing this in about a year. SO and I are currently in a 1 bedroom apartment too - just moved in in June. My goal is to stay here for now in order to save money and then move into a bigger place in a year. I figure LO will be waking up in the middle of the night for a good portion of the first year anyways, so might as well be saving some money by sucking it up and putting the crib in our room.
  • Options
    We just moved from a studio to a two bedroom and it was TOTALLY worth the effort. I'm so glad for all the extra space! And doors. Haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"