TTC after 35

7dpo progesterone results

I requested this test and my resukts came back at 10.2.  My Dr feels this is low and that I may not be ovulating.  She wants to do a follicle scan next cycle to make sure I am ovulating before deciding if I need progesterone supplements.

I do however get positive OPKs.  Anyone know what the ideal level is at 7dpo?  Thanks!

Michele

Mom to Skylar Kayla and Beck Dylan

Re: 7dpo progesterone results

• According to my RE you would have ovulated with a 10.
  • If that's what your doctor thinks, I suggest a new doctor. Anything over 5 means you ovulated and anything over 10 on an unmedicated cycle is normal. He might mean that you're not ovulating strong enough but with that number you are def. ovulating. I had a 7.9 and I ovulated monthly according to my body temps and the monitor. And I got pg even with that "low" number.

You might want to get a second opinion. Sometimes doctors are too quick to say that so they can prescribe Clomid. GL!

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Loading the player...
  • Were you on medication?  They like to see a 10 on nonmedicated and a 15 on medicated cycles.  I was a 11.1 on clomid and they weren't too concerned.  My RE probably wouldn't have put me on prog supplements unless I asked!  He's not crazy about checking the levels because he said they fluctuate so much throughout the day.  Your level is good especially if you weren't medicated!
  • I am not medicated.  And I also read about seeing at least 10 on a natural cycle.  I told them I had a pos OPK and she ( or the asst I was talking to her thru said)  that she thinks the OPKs are not working. I personally think I am Oing wsince I have a very reg cycle and positive OPKs alwasys around CD 16.

I think she just wants to ensure I am ovulating before assuming it is just low progesterone in the luteal phase.  With an LP of 9-10 the last few cycles, being prescribed suppositories on my last pregnancy, and a prev miscarriage I feel like I just need progesterone.  I guess I will just get the follicle scan, but if I am pg this month (I an supposed to test in a few days) I will demand prog suppositories.

I found this online which may be her thinking: (source:https://www.inciid.org/printpage.php?cat=infertility101&id=7)

Once a diagnosis of LPD is suspected, a serum progesterone test will often be performed at about seven days past ovulation. A level less than 14 ng/ml indicates that progesterone production in the luteal phase is inadequate.

Should progesterone levels prove to be low, the temptation is often to "treat the symptom" by giving the patient progesterone supplementation during the luteal phase. In the case of inadequate corpus luteum performance, progesterone support may indeed be the appropriate solution. However, inadequate follicle development may also be causing the low progesterone levels. Thus, it is important to measure midcycle follicle size (via ultrasound) and estradiol levels (via a blood test).

If follicle development is normal, then progesterone supplementation during the luteal phase is normally the correct treatment. If follicle development is inadequate, an ovulatory stimulant such as Clomid or an injectable drug may be in order; these drugs help the follicle to mature more appropriately, which has the double benefit of producing a higher quality egg and a better-functioning corpus luteum.

Regarding Clomid, doesn't that really up the chances of multiples? (of which I am very afraid)

Thanks guys

Michele

Mom to Skylar Kayla and Beck Dylan

• Yes, I'd definitely be on progesterone, especially with a miscarriage!   My luteal phase is 11 days and with my prog of 11, that's when my doc decided I should do the supplements.  I think just with my P4 number he was hesitant but when I brought up my luteal phase that's when he said yes. 
  • Unmedicated they like to see at least 5, preferably 10

Medicated they like to see 10, preferably 15

But your dr. sounds proactive in terms of follie scans and not giving you P4 if you don't need it.

Positive OPKs don't correlate at all with P4 levels.

Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"