Toronto Babies

U/S - Please advise

My husband and I just found out we are 5 weeks pregnant and being that this is our first pregnancy I am finding myself a little loss in terms of some things.  We live in BC but the Only Canadian board is for Toronto so I thought i'd give it a shot to see if you'd be able to help me figure something out. In all of the boards I have been posting on it seems like majority of the ladies are in the US and because we have free Health Care in Canada I am wondering if its normal that the doctors in Canada (or BC in particular ) don't do U/S until your about 10 weeks.  Is this how it is in Toronto too? or do the doctors at my doctors office not wanting to see patients until that 10 week mark. I was talking to someone in Seattle who was getting an U/S at the 8th week mark.  Should I try and get an U/S sooner than the 10 weeks?

Re: U/S - Please advise

• I live in the Toronto area and I didn't have my first ultrasound until 20 weeks. Not all doctors do a dating ultrasound early on. It really depends on the doctor and on your health and how certain you are of your last period. My girlfriend who lives in Calgary also didn't have a dating ultrasound either with her first or second baby. I have another friend here in Toronto that had an ultrasound around 8 weeks, but that is just how her mid wife worked. So don't worry. Its perfectly normal. Congratulations. Enjoy every moment, it all goes so quickly.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thank you for the reassurance, appreciate it!
  • Loading the player...
  • I was worried about this too, but I read a lot of other posts and a lot of people are saying that their first U/S was at 20 weeks (if you don't do the IPS). My first prenatal appointment is not until 12 weeks, and I guess I will find out then when my first U/S will be. Wish it was sooner though! I'm at 5 weeks/3 days and 12 weeks seems like it's so far away!
  • My husband and I just found out we are 5 weeks pregnant and being that this is our first pregnancy I am finding myself a little loss in terms of some things.  We live in BC but the Only Canadian board is for Toronto so I thought i'd give it a shot to see if you'd be able to help me figure something out. In all of the boards I have been posting on it seems like majority of the ladies are in the US and because we have free Health Care in Canada I am wondering if its normal that the doctors in Canada (or BC in particular ) don't do U/S until your about 10 weeks.  Is this how it is in Toronto too? or do the doctors at my doctors office not wanting to see patients until that 10 week mark. I was talking to someone in Seattle who was getting an U/S at the 8th week mark.  Should I try and get an U/S sooner than the 10 weeks?
    it's very common to not have an ultrasound until 12 weeks here in Canada, the only reason you might have one sooner is if you don't know when your last period was or if you had a previous miscarriage, they would give you one sooner to date the pregnancy or to make sure everything is in the right place, or that you have a heartbeat. It feels like forever waiting for that first ultrasound. 
  • I'm at 14 weeks and I've had two ultrasounds already.. One at 6 weeks and the NT scan at 12 weeks. I'm booked for another in October (anatomy). Guess I was lucky to get an early one in!
  • My Doctor told me 16 weeks is typical. I had one earlier at 12 weeks due to a previous miscarriage.
  • I would say it all depends on your hcg level. If all goes well, you can wait until 10-12 weeks for the 1st trimester scanning. The u/s before that is usually to date the pregnancy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"