Trouble TTC

Success with sperm donation?

Hi anyone reading this, I'm new to this site and I am completely lost. My husband and I will be married for 3 years this coming August. Last year we tried to conceive unsuccessfully. We both got tested and it turned out that my husband has zero sperm. I knew this might happen because of his medical condition. So we tried a hormone shot for him for about a month, but it really did more harm to him because of his medical condition. Needless to say, that is no longer an option for him. So we took the year off and focused on his health and my career. So we opened up the sperm donation discussion and he seems on board. He's about 90% on board but I know still, deep down, he's hurt because he can't be the biological father. So I just wanted to get out there and look for other couples like us. I would like to know how other people dealt or are dealing with this too. And I also wanted to start donation bank research. We live in north jersey, so if anyone out this would like to share their thoughts and advice. I'm open. Thank you!

Re: Success with sperm donation?

• Welcome! We are using a sperm donor, but we are a lesbian couple. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about donor sperm that I could help with.

Official diagnosis: Unexplained IF. I am 32. I have low ovarian reserve (low AMH), and poor egg quality. I've also been diagnosed with mild glandular developmental arrest (lining problems, detected with EFT).

We are using open ID donor sperm. IUIs #1-7=BFN. IVF September 2014 antagonist protocol, 8R,5M,3F, 5 day transfer of 1 morula = BFN. IVF#2 planned for January 2015 (antagonist protocol + HGH).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Same boat. We just did our first IUI last month with donor sperm. It failed but we plan to keep trying. It is a hard diagnosis but we look at it simply. We either have a baby with DS or we don't have a baby. And we want a baby. We know its genetics will mean nothing most of the time. We will forget and love them just the same. It takes time to grieve the loss...that's what it is, but you will get through it.

The hardest part for us was choosing the donor. My personality, I sat up all night reading profiles and staring at pictures. My husband didn't enjoy the step at all. I ended up feeling kinda like I was cheating on him. It felt like online dating almost. In the end we found a guy, settled on him and forgot about it. Stopped looking and dwelling on it.

We used xytex.com and I liked them just fine. They have child and adult photos. The have the donor write an essay. A few of them do audio interviews. When I ordered, the lady on the phone was very nice. They ship to wherever but they are based in Georgia.

Its good to find someone else in our situation as well. Any questions, ask away!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't have any experience with this but just wanted to say good luck! I agree with the 3rd party reproduction board. I've popped over to read a few times out of curiosity and there is a lot of knowledge over there about those options. Good luck!

***Signature/Ticker Warning***

March 2008 - DD born - no issues conceiving (surprise). Limited issues during pregnancy/delivery.
    June 2011 - Married DH.
    June 2013 - Diagnosis of Endometriosis and PCOS (approximate).
    December 2013 - First cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    January 2014 - 2nd Cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    February 2014 - 3rd Cycle of Clomid - Positive OPK. BFN
    March 2014 - Took month off to prep for surgery
    April 2014 - Laporoscopy for endo. Unable to remove endo due to too close of proximity to ureter. HSG done as well. Fillopian tubes open.
    May 2014 - 1st round of Femara. Positive OPK. BFN.
    June 2014 - 2nd round of Femara. Moved to RE to have CD10 Follicular U/S. No Follies in left ovary. 5 follies in right. Largest follie 8mm, 1 7mm, 2 3mm, 1 2mm. Positive OPK on day of U/S. BFN. DH has SA done at this time - All results within normal limits.
    July 2014 - 3rd round of Femara. CD10 Follicular U/S. No follies in left ovary. 7 follies in right. 1 20mm, 1 12mm, 1 10mm, 4 <5mm. Scheduled for IUI. Canceled due to low estrogen level of 145. TI this month. Prepping for Injectables next month. BFN.
    August 2014 - CD3 BW Normal. Injectables not happening because of stupid miscommunication about "required injectables class." Taking class this month. No medication. TI for the month. SIS scheduled for 8/7/14. SIS results - "I have a beautiful uterus." Huzzah!
    September 2014 - Cycle cancelled due to stupid AF coming early and making my IUI run in to DH's business trip. Try again next month.
    October 2014 - Injects with IUI cycle. 75U 5 days. Estrogen at 36. Bumped up to 125 for 4 days. Estrogen 105. Bumped up to 225. Ganirelix for 2 days. 4 mature follies. Triggered 10/9. IUI 10/10.
    BFP 10/24/2014. Beta #1 - 178   Beta #2 - 398.   U/S 11/7/14- TWINS!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Hi and welcome.  We are using donor sperm as well, but similar to @emmuffy, we are a lesbian couple.  If you have any questions, I would also be happy to answer.  Picking a bank was overwhelming at first.  We are on our second donor.

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• hi! this might be personal but in order to become successfully pregnant with DS, do you have to do invitro? and what is IUI? lol i'm so lost. thanks again
  • I would suggest you get a referral to a Reproductive Endocrinologist.  You have three options to get pregnant...

1.  At home insemination 
    2.  IUI - aka Artificial insemination.  You go to the RE (or obgyn but that isn't recommended if you are going to be using fertility meds) and they insert the sperm into your uterus with a catheter.  
    3.  IVF - Usually used if IUIs do not work and/or for other reasons.  

Me: 30  DW (aka C): 29

Together since 2/15/11 ~ Legally married in NY on 9/29/12

***CP mentioned***

We've been working on baby #1 since July 2013 using Open ID donor sperm.  8 IUI attempts with 5 actual IUIs and one chemical pregnancy.  We have one fresh IVF cycle under our belts as well as a FET.  I have endometriosis and a uterine septum that was corrected via surgery in November 2013. 

11/14/14 -  Second HSG shows that tubes are still clear and ute is looking good. 

12/6/14 - Started BCPs in prep for IVF #2

12/22/14 - Saline u/s and endometrial scratch (All was clear and OUCH!)

1/2/15 - Began stimming for IVF #2

****All Welcome!****

We are Mommas to four fur babies - 3 dogs and 1 cat.

• welcome and i hope it works for you
    Mask Creatures: [with increasing intensity] Mummy, mummy, mummy, mummy, mummy, mummy, mummy, mummy, mummy, mummy.
    The Doctor: Go to your room.
    [mask creatures stop]
    The Doctor: Go to your room! I mean it. I am very, very angry with you. I'm very, very cross. Go... To... Your... Room!
    [mask creatures turn and go back to their beds]
    The Doctor: [sighing] I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.

started Metformin March 2013
    confirmed diagnosis of p.c.o.s. January 2013
    started trying to conceive October 2012
    married june 29th 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"