June 2014 Moms
Options

Whooping cough vaccine

Do you let people visit or go to people's houses who haven't had it before LO gets their 2 month shots? I keep reading about people who are very restrictive about this and feeling like I've been a little lax. we asked our immediate family who would be spending the most time with DD to get it but I know some of our extended family hasn't. What are your thoughts?

Re: Whooping cough vaccine

• Options
    Yea I had asked my parents and MIL to get it before baby. Then he came six weeks early and it hadn't happened. I didn't push it and we made it to his two month shots just fine! I had the shot while in the hospital.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We only had immediate family get it and we just make sure any other people who we bring her around are super diligent about washing their hands before they get to touch baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I've been only letting ppl with the tdap hold the baby. Other ppl can visit and we've taken him out covered in the stroller or in a wrap, but our rule is no one super close/breathing in his face who is unvaccinated until he gets his first round at eight weeks. Just too many outbreaks in our area.

• Options

We don't as people if they've been vaccinated. I'm pretty lax. I go to Walmart, the grocery store, etc with baby and I can't control what's floating around there so why demand that my friends and family get shots in order to see DS?

• Options
    So for those of you who haven't allowed anyone without it to hold/visit LO, will you be allowing it after 2 month shots even though they aren't fully protected?
  • Options
    We didn't ask anyone to get the vaccine and don't ask people if they've had it. Our community of friends and family is too large to insist.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• Options
    ElTrain5ElTrain5 member
    edited July 2014

So for those of you who haven't allowed anyone without it to hold/visit LO, will you be allowing it after 2 month shots even though they aren't fully protected?

Two weeks after they've received their initial dose of the vaccine they have significant immunity (according to our pedi), so yes.

Eta: here is a study showing the vaccine effectiveness of the pertussis vaccine at 55.3% after the first dose and 83% after the 2nd dose.
    https://m.pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2014/02/04/peds.2013-3181.abstract

• Options
    Yes. We've also been shopping, to the kid's camp, a dance rehearsal and recital, the boardwalk/beach, zoo, and church. That is the life of LO3.
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"