Toddlers: 24 Months+

How long do I need to keep giving Oatmeal/Rice Cereal? nft

Re: How long do I need to keep giving Oatmeal/Rice Cereal? nft

• We continue to offer DS oatmeal with DHA added for breakfast on occasion.  We add new flavors (cinnamon, banana, cooked apple, yogurt, etc) to it and give it a new texture, taste, etc.  He loves it, plus it's helped him master utensils too b/c he loves to 'dip' into his bowl so much.  I figure we can't give him too much DHA, so what the heck.

• I think DS was like 1 and a half? But he still has oatmeal for breakfast probably 5 times a week
  • Loading the player...
  • We may be in the minority here but we stopped around 7 - 8 months.

Real oatmeal is easier for all of us than the baby food mix stuff.

By 9 months to 1 yr old we do more french toast, pancakes, waffles, etc. than we do cereals simply because they're easier for him to self feed.

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • We still give it to our 18 mo. old in the morning. He loves the stuff but I do mix it with applesauce/fruit, etc.
  • imagehowleyshell:

We may be in the minority here but we stopped around 7 - 8 months.

Real oatmeal is easier for all of us than the baby food mix stuff.

By 9 months to 1 yr old we do more french toast, pancakes, waffles, etc. than we do cereals simply because they're easier for him to self feed.

ditto pretty much all of that.

• I never gave it. DD hated cereal.
    Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • I still give it to DD and I'm not sure when I'll stop. ?She really likes it and it's one of the few quick breakfasts and/or snacks that I can give to her when she's not interested in the meal I've made or just needs something to tie her over in the meantime. ?She loves the whole grain oatmeal w/ bananas and the mixed cereal. ?Like the pps, with the mixed cereal, I add different things to keep it interesting. ?
  • She was done with it at about 7-8 months as well.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We stopped the baby oatmeal around 1 year and now give her regular oatmeal (or pancakes, etc.) for breakfast. The only reason we waited so long was because the baby oatmeal was so easy to mix up in the morning.

I think we stopped rice cereal around 10 or 11 months when DD started refusing it since she preferred table food.

Emily 11.29.2007 | Kate 4.3.2010 | James 8.22.2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"