March 2014 Moms
Options

Making baby food

BTBergstromBTBergstrom member
edited July 2014 in March 2014 Moms
Well since we are quickly approaching baby food I wanted to find out more about making my own. STMs what do I really need are there any good books I should check out. Is it terribly time consuming??

Re: Making baby food

• Options
    I'm very interested in this as well!!
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• Options
    No advice, but also interested! I have a vegetable garden that I am freezing vegetables from to use this winter when LO is old enough.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    textimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    jbellejbelle member
    The farthest I've made it in my planning is to use plain foods on the recommended list (I think it's been posted a few times?) and use a baby food mill. 

I'd love to know what other moms have done! Especially those sending their kids to daycare.

AMA & SAIF. TTC #1 since Oct. 2010. DX: Unexplained. BFP on break after 32 months trying and 2 med cycles. Baby girl born at 40w0d!

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

jbelle

• Options
    Ok can't help you with any book recommendations.  All I did/ might do is squish up fresh fruits... it is very simple.  Freeze small one serving amounts in freeze proof baggies.  Cooked veggies with no added salt/sugar, etc same thing.  I typically found mine loved baked sweet potatoe, just squished up with a little bm or formula added to thin it some.  Avocados were loved by all, and of course squished up bananas.  I do it very simply and not on a large scale.  For travel commercially prepared is easier
  • Options
    I just pick stuff out of my garden or buy it from the farmers market, than Cook it (boil, bake, or steam) and mash it up. Depending on what it is I add breastmilk. I put it into a container and freeze.
  • Options
    Is there max time things can be frozen for?? What do you freeze in?
  • Options

@BTBergstrom I don't prepare in bulk, but anything good for a 6month old if there aren't any issues will need to be thicker/chunkier within a few months so I wouldn't make more than would be eaten within a month.  I freeze in ziplock freezer bags, I wash them and reuse.

• Options
    I prepared a bunch and froze in bulk last weekend. Froze in ice cubes trays then poppedth out into a ziplock bag.imageimage
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic&nImage and video hosting by TinyPic bsp;center;"
    >Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    wow, beautiful work @YankeePeach08 !  Of course you do have two x the feedings of most of us! 
  • Options
    Thanks! Not sure how to get rid of the pic of my CDs hahaha.
    I think I have 10-15 gallon size ziplock bags into freezer!
    Peas
    Carrots
    Sweet potatoes
    Butternut squash
    Peaches (of course :) )
    Cantaloupe
    Strawberries
    Pears
    Mango

Even when they are ready for finger foods I still toss a few cubes of purée into recipes. I'll make things like sweet potato pancakes. Or use things like squash as a coating to pasta instead of spaghetti sauce.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic&nImage and video hosting by TinyPic bsp;center;"
    >Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I've started experimenting with mashing up various fruits and veggies (we got a Ninja because I'm lazy like that). I mashed it then put it in fold and close baggies. then put those in freezer quart bags (by month) then put that in a gallon bag.

thats so if I make some for month 7+ or 8+ I can separate them. 

I've read that freezing should be used in less than 2 months. But who knows.

*also - if I mashed it but didn't strain it, i used milk. if I strained it through a sieve I skipped the milk and will add that later if I need to.
  • Options
    I strongly recommend "wholesome baby food guide". It's on amazon.
  • Options

Not sure how to get rid of the pic of my CDs hahaha.

Haha, I thought 'wow, she has the purées all color-coded in PUL bags!'
    But really, good job with your prep work!
  • Options
    Yes, @Aliki that is similar to what I have done too.  It is so much easier once they are 8+mns and have are actually consuming food as opposed to tasting/learning to swallow etc! 
  • Options
    I love this idea, thank you.
  • Options
    @aliki that is EXACTLY what we plan to do! Whatever we're eating, he will get a little.
  • Options
    No advice here as I'm a FTM, but I did get the Baby Brezza and it seems like it will be an awesome machine! steamer and smasher all in one. I also got a bunch of those small plastic cube tupperwares to freeze food in, but I don't think I'll do tooooo much freezing. or maybe I will. Idk. I also agree with pp's that as lo gets older he will get some of what we're eating, but to start I'll be making him his own mushy food. I'm so excited to feed him real food in a few months!

• Options
    I'm already feeding my DS sweet potatoes. Simple. Microwave potatoes, throw in food processor, adding water to consistency wanted, freeze in ice cube trays, wait 24 hours, pop out and put in ziplock bag and label
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going the BLW route again, like I did with DS1. Buuuut, I made all of DD's purées.
    All I did was boil/steam everything and mash it. Then freeze in ice cube trays. Add breast milk or water when serving to get consistency required.

You can add seasoning, but I'd avoid salt. Also, if you're adding water during mashing, I believe carrots should not be mashed with their cooking water**.

I never made her stuff super smooth, there was always a bit of lumpiness. And it got lumpier quickly.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"