Pregnant after a Loss

Are you afraid of labor?

So I think I may have found the silver lining of my PgAL brain.  I was chatting with some friends (some pregnant, some with kids, some neither) and they all agreed that they either were terrified, or had been terrified, of labor.

I think I'm so focused on the fears about staying pregnant that I really haven't given labor hardly a thought.  I'm only 12 weeks so maybe as it gets closer and I get more confident in the pregnancy I'll feel differently, which is why I'm throwing this out there.

So what about you?  Are you afraid of labor?
-Lily
EDD: 1/27/15
So excited for our rainbow baby!

Re: Are you afraid of labor?

• I am definitely afraid of labor/giving birth just because it is something I have never done before so I don't really know what to expect. I try not to think of it, because I know I've gotta do it and it will be so worth it in the end!
  • I am almost 32 weeks and labor is deffinetly a fear just because its unknown territory for me.

Married DH 3/14/09

TTC Since Jan 2011
    Diagnosed with PCOS Jan 2013
    BFP#1 June 2013/ EDD 2/23/2013 Blighted Ovum confirmed July 18, 2013
    took Cytotec July 20, 2013

BFP #2 12/28/2013 EDD 9/11/2014 Its A Girl!!! Rebecca Ann!

Rebecca Ann born 8/31/2014 6lb 1oz 19 inches long 8:55am!!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Maybe it's just me.. but i CANNOT WAIT ! i am actually looking forward to the whole process. I am adamant i will only use gas and air and thats if i must. it might sound odd but i see it as a challenge.. to sail right through ! telling myself i can do it. Maybe because of my 2 prev losses i am all ready for labour? i did have a little experience with my 2nd loss which was at 22 weeks.. so i have a rough idea. BUT, all in all i cannot wait to embrace the pain and plough through it!! lol either way we have to go through with labour so may as well grab the bull by the horns! oh, and i have a really high pain tolerance.. so maybe I'm wanting to see just how high?? Im saying all this now but i could have a small contraction and be like GIVE ME AN EPIDURAAAAAAL hahahah hopefully not! 2 weeks left till due date!!!! x
  • Not afraid of labor..the pain. Afraid of not knowing it's true labor or stand around like an idiot when it is..like with ds at 29 wks. Got to hospital was dilated to 3 because thought it was Braxton hicks:(...oh and I hate, hate iv's because they can't get my tiny veins! If I can get thru all that I'm good:)
    ***ticker warning*** DS 3/27/12 born 6 weeks early....my perfect boy !! Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers [url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb1f.lilypie.com/z5R8p1.png[/img][/url] image<a href="http://www.thebump.com/?
  • rox825rox825 member
    I'm definitely afraid of labor.  I'm going to take a class at the hospital and read some books, hoping to feel a little better after that!  But yeah, terrified.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• Definitely!  I'm afraid (as other PPs have said) of not knowing if I'm in labor.  I'm also afraid of the pain because I've had a few really bad periods with hellacious cramps.  I cried like a baby.  Lol.  So I know that I probably won't handle contractions well.  :O

BFP#1 4/17/2013 EDD 12/25/2013, MC 5/17/2013 8 weeks 3 days D&C 5/18/2013

BFP#2 1/20/2014 EDD 9/28/2014, Baby Evie born on 9/23/2014 at 8:50pm.  6 lbs 15 oz!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I was feeling a lot of anxiety about it (and still am to a degree) but decided to sign up for a well-rounded child birth class that covers a lot of scenarios and approaches to child birth.  Just being proactive in getting myself and my husband some education about the process was a huge relief.  It's also a 10 week course, so we have a lot of time to think about everything and come up with questions.
    Began trying for a baby January 2012
    BFP 4.25.2013  EDD 1.3.2014  MMC 6.3.2013  D&C 6.19.2013
    BFP 11.3.2013  CP 11.6.2013
    BFP 3.31.2014 EDD 12.10.2014 Baby boy Carlson born 12.19.2014 
  • I'm not afraid of the labor process itself, and I wasn't really the first time, either. It's not fun but since I have to do it if I want my baby, I just don't think too much about it. Other than my epidural wearing off before pushing last time which suuuuucked, I had a pretty easy labor so that's probably helping me not worry too much now.

That said, I do worry about complications, in particular the cord being around baby's neck or ending up in an emergency situation.
  • I haven't really thought much about labor yet, but I want to take a birthing class to mentally prepare myself at some point in the next few months before I'm due (November 10). I also have 2 pregnancy books that I haven't looked at yet, so maybe after I take a look at those materials I'll feel a little more knowledgeable!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Like you @larahouseman I'm still more worried about loss than I am about labor. That may change as I get closer to EDD.

I'm an afraid of being in the hospital and feeling helpless or stranded. I felt that way after my ectopic surgery and it was horrible. I hope that I get lucky to have a good team on staff that day, so that whatever is going on, at least I feel like they're on it, and they're communicating with me well.

We're signed up for a birth class (a well rounded approach) that I think will help and I plan to do a hospital tour. I think that will make it easier to at least know a tiny bit of what to expect.
    Baby GIRL born 12/11/14!!
    MC @ 8 wks 7/6/13 - ectopic @ 6 wks 12/28/13

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

• I am without a doubt petrified of labor...for some reason I always have been. I have been in the room for one birth that went amazing but it didn't really help. My mom almost died with both my brother and I so for some reason I just imagine that labor is going to be traumatic for me. I am of course really hoping that it is not going to be.
    Me- 27 w/PCOS     DH - 28
    TTC since December 2012 
    BFP 6/29/2013 - EDD 3/16/14 - MMC 9/5/2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS and taking metformin 750 mg  twice a day
    April 2014 -  - 1st ICI Cycle - BFP 5/15/14 EDD: 1/20/15
    A/S 8-22-14 - Its a BOY!!
    12/15 Checkup & heard his beautiful heartbeat
    ALL WELCOME -
    imageimage

• I'm not afraid but I already had DD.

Labor was fine. The contractions were manageable especially after the epidural. The waiting to be fully dilated was difficult but... The pushing was the hardest part for me personally, such an athletic feat :)
    BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
    BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
    BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
    image    image   image
  • I'm not afraid of labor and delivery. I'll just be so excited to be meeting my little girl :-) Like OP and some of the other ladies, I worry more about loss and cord accidents than how much it will hurt or how intense the delivery experience will be. Too, I am very confident in my doctors and the care I will get at the hospital.

Meanwhile, I'm sure it's easy to get lost in the excitement of meeting baby when I'm only 18w4d. Ask me again when I'm 30+ weeks and my answer may be different.

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP 5/19/2013. MC 7/2/2013 (9w6d) with est. loss at 8w. Miso 7/3/2013 and emergency D & C 7/6/2013.

BFP#2 11/6/2013.  CP 11/14/2013.  

BFP #3 12/13/2013.  Beta #1 @ 15dpo- 239. Progesterone 27.  Beta #2 @17dpo - 90.  CP 12/21/2013

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  -Philippians 4:6-7

All PgAL and PAL welcome.

• I'm like a lot of you... not afraid of the actual labor/pain but unsure of what I cannot control & nervous about complications. I'm also hoping I can avoid a c-section. Can you ladies recommend any good books? I want to try to go natural if I can.
    BFP #2 3/19/14      EDD: 11/28/14
     Femara + Gonal F + Ovidrel  3/6/14  IUI #3 (plus 2x acupuncture)

Team Pink!!

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1 7/22/13   EDD 3/29/14   MMC 8/13/13
      Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

image      image
    ALL ARE WELCOME
  • AnyMaxAnyMax member
    I think I am still in denial that this is even really happening, so labor just isn't something that really crosses my mind much. We spent so much time and energy trying to get pregnant and staying pregnant, the focus just became so much about being pregnant, that I have a hard time visualizing my baby girl coming at the end of all this.

• I'm not scared. I look at it this way, women have babies in bushes in other countries, and get up and continue with their day. We have amazing medical teams, midwives, hospitals, doctors, and epidurals (if we so choose). Also, I've done this once before, and had to schedule an induction (no drugs, just broke my water and my body went from there) with my son, so I knew when it was happening. 
    I think everyone is different. I guess I'm just so looking forward to that moment, that there's nothing that could possibly make it less than beautiful for me. 
  • Just thinking about TTC LO#2 had me scared. Labor with DS was 37 hours if intense contractions, all natural. It was a big challenge. Gearing up for #2 I was scared and nervous, but now that I'm pregnant again I'm trying to focus on being excited. I still have PgAL brain, but it's different this time around. I think I have a greater sense of how much things are out of my control and an -attempting- to accept it.
    That being said, having a doula is such a worthwhile investment. My doula w DS was such a help both in preparing for the birth of my son and day of. Once I get a little further along I plan on asking her to be my doula again.
    image BFP #3 02/14/2012 - EDD 10/20/2012 Started prometrium right away, hoping this one sticks Beta #1 (02/15) 37. Torrey born 10/21/2012 w 6lb 14oz, 19.5" long Beta #2 (02/17) 87 Doubling time 38.91 Beta #3 (02/22) 495 Doubling time 47.84 Beta #4 (02/28) 8108 Doubling time 35.70 ~grow baby grow~ Updated EDD 10/26 BFP #2 01/10/2012 - EDD 09/18/2012, Chemical Pregnancy ended 01/13/2012 BFP #1 12/03/2011 - EDD 08/06/2012, Natural M/C 12/13/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"