Natural Birth
Options

Classes besides birthing classes

What classes did you take (in addition to a birthing class) and would recommend for a FTM? We're already signed up for a Bradley Method class starting at the end of next month. 

I was thinking of taking a breastfeeding class and generic baby care class, but can't decide if they'll actually be worth it. 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Classes besides birthing classes

• Options
    I think the BF class was helpful, though I don't know if it would be worth paying for (it is free at our hospital).  I agree with pp about a pediatric CPR/First Aid class.

As for the newborn care class, I guess that's more specific to the person, if you have little experience around babies it would probably be beneficial.  
  • Options
    mc0113mc0113 member
    Thanks ladies! I'm quite comfortable with being around babies and basic care...it's DH that I was thinking about in that aspect. He's never been around a newborn baby, but I'm sure he'll pick up really quickly on what to do and how to do things.

The CPR class does sound like a good suggestion though. Thanks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At a local baby store, I took their free breastfeeding course because I couldn't get into any of the paid classes at the hospital. It was taught by a certified lactation consultant who was super informative, though! I enjoyed it, even though I left very overwhelmed. There was tons of info I had no idea about.

Through the hospital, we took the Infant Safety and CPR class. I hadn't taken any CPR classes ever, so this was really important to me and I learned tons of valuable information. We then took Childbirth Prep which was AMAZING. They offered it two ways, either split up over a month or knock it all out in one 8 hour day. We chose the one day option and liked our instructor so much that we immediately signed up for her other course, a three part Preparing for Your Newborn class. We took the first part this past Monday and it was all about basic baby care, changing diapers, swaddling, reading your baby's cues/signals/facial expressions, learning what their different cries mean, how much they should sleep, etc. The second and third parts focus more on your marriage and keeping it strong during the stressful first months/years of parenting. 

Overall I'm extremely glad to have taken these courses in addition to my natural birth prep!
    Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"