March 2014 Moms
Options

Missed Milestones of a Working Mom

I am at work crying at my desk. I just got a text from DH saying that Hudson sat up. DH kept Hudson home today because its raining and DH is a roofer. He will occasionally do this. My heart is broken because I missed it. I know that I will have alot of other milestones and have been apart of alot of them already, but this is the first one I have missed. So exciting and painfull at the same time. He sent me a picture too. Just glad DH could be there and not while he was at daycare.

Re: Missed Milestones of a Working Mom

• Options

I'm sorry, it sucks to miss milestones.  My SIL suggested that my dad, who watches her, not tell me when she does something first so if she did it with me I would think it was the first.  Well, a couple weeks ago sh excitedly told me she belly laughed and I was outside and didn't hear it.  Hmm, thanks. 

My dad also agreed to not tell me things but he does it often.  I chalk it up to being so proud of their granddaughter/niece they just can't hold it in, and THAT makes me happy to know how many people love her and are proud of her.  But in her baby book, I counted the first time I heard her belly laugh as her first time....I figure if I didn't hear it, then it didn't happen.

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Options
    Everyone already said what I was going to say but hugs
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So sorry you missed it. When Ds1 was in DC I asked them to not tell me if he did anything big/milestone.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic&nImage and video hosting by TinyPic bsp;center;"
    >Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

bennieangel  put it. I'll try to think of it that way!

Imagining missing big milestones because I have to work makes me SO. UNBEARABLY. SAD.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I'm sorry. That is so frustrating. But on the bright side, hurray for sitting up! You're going to have so much fun together playing around in new ways!
  • Options

I try to remember that even when I was a SAHM I still missed milestones. DH fed her solids while I was napping. She rolled over while I was putting laundry in and I came back and she was on her tummy. And DH usually had to miss things because he was working and I was not.

I know it's no consolation now, but there are so many firsts that years from now you won't even remember what you missed!

This exactly.
  • Options

First, let me say I am so sorry that you missed something you wanted to be there for :( As a working mom, I understand it can be very hard some days and the emotions can be overwhelming!

However, I agree with everything @pepperedmoth said. I also don't feel like I am missing anything while at work and I truly love my job and what I do. Although LO has done a ton of "firsts" at DC, it hasn't made me sad once. I think that is only because of the outlook I have on it, which is that the first time he does it with me is JUST as special :) While he will do many things at DC or with DH before I get to see them, my memories of the first time I am with him when he does it are not any less diminished because it isn't technically the "first" time he did it. It is his first time showing mommy :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    botbotbotbot member
    I think this is a testament to your relationship with your daycare.

With DS1- he took his first steps for the nanny.  She told me and I cried all night.  I vented about it here, and many told me that she was wrong to tell me.  A month or so later, I had to let her go (for unrelated reasons) and we found another nanny.  One evening, I watched my son run across the entire room (for the first time) and told the new nanny the next day.  She smiled an enjoyed my excitement with me.  I never heard if he had done it for her, and daily updates from her would be mostly on what he had eaten and naps and such. I really appreciated that about her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"