Food Allergy

Contact allergies--Where do I go?!?

We have been dealing with SEVERE contact dermatitis since DD#3 was born May 2013. We just figured out this week that the main culprit is polyester (usually have to go back and forth with cloth diapers (use either flats with a cover or GoGreen Diapers with MF inserts) and disposables (Target Up & Up brand) since both cause rashes-grabbed a different brand disposables (Luvs-since I was at the wrong store and my sister liked Luvs with her oldest) that incidentally doesn't have polyester... boom CLEAR--besides scarring   :(( ) We already use a free and clear laundry detergent and hypoallergenic soaps. Diaper rash creams all make it worse besides the steroids for the eczema that is caused by her contact with the diapers. She is still WAY to young to attempt any sort of PL with (my older two were 24 months and 22 months so I'm not looking to even try her until SHE is ready)

So I have contacted all pediatric allergists within 150 miles and nobody tests for polyester and just suggest she stay away from it... Hmm helpful.. I guess.. 

Has anybody been told of a link between polyester allergies and ANY other allergies? I'm currently up to my elbows and knees trying to do all sorts of research on how to best help my baby (toddler I know) but I'm not coming up with much. 

Sorry for the book... please help.
Me - J.R. - 05/1986
DH - J.I. - 08/1986
Married - 09/22/2006
DD#1 - A.E. - 12/15/2009
DD#2 - N.R. - 11/07/2011
DD#3 - S.R. - 05/20/2013
  DS - R.E. - 10/03/2014

Absolutely in love with our 'big' family!

I'm also a proud Auntie to a crazy little girl, her brand new baby sister, a little man on his way in the next month, and a sweet little mister we will miss forever!!!

Re: Contact allergies--Where do I go?!?

• LSU628LSU628 member
    Has she just reacted to diapers or the polyester in clothing as well? I had to have contact allergy testing done and it was NOT pleasant. I had to wear these big long strips on my back for 72 hours. I was going insane itching and not being able to bathe or scratch at them. I wouldn't want to subject my kids to that experience. Not sure if they test differently for LOs, but that was just my experience.
    imageimage
  • No issues with clothing that obvious but hindsight has me wondering if her night time sleep issues are due to her pillow and or pajamas being polyester rather than the clingyness we attributed to it. Also nearly all of her regular clothes are 100% cotton... Coincidence? I'm not sure! :)
    Me - J.R. - 05/1986
    DH - J.I. - 08/1986
    Married - 09/22/2006
    DD#1 - A.E. - 12/15/2009
    DD#2 - N.R. - 11/07/2011
    DD#3 - S.R. - 05/20/2013
      DS - R.E. - 10/03/2014

I'm also a proud Auntie to a crazy little girl, her brand new baby sister, a little man on his way in the next month, and a sweet little mister we will miss forever!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • LSU628LSU628 member
    Also, have you done any food allergy testing? One of my DS's biggest symptoms was an AWFUL diaper rash that didn't respond to the normal diaper creams or the first prescription from the pedi. I'm talking bleeding bottom bad diaper rash. I think I would push for food allergy testing just to rule out any other causes.
    imageimage
  • Food allergies are scheduled to be tested in September (the 22nd) because I was worried that it might be the cause. However, I can't think of anything she HASN'T been eating lately that would have been causing it...what I'm trying to say is we haven't changed anything to make the rash have stopped... especially so suddenly as with switching to the Luvs.
    Me - J.R. - 05/1986
    DH - J.I. - 08/1986
    Married - 09/22/2006
    DD#1 - A.E. - 12/15/2009
    DD#2 - N.R. - 11/07/2011
    DD#3 - S.R. - 05/20/2013
      DS - R.E. - 10/03/2014

• maybe it is something like this or another type of chemical

"New Pampers diapers, which include Cruisers and Swaddlers, have been the subject of the two U.S. lawsuits. Specifically, the product's Dry Max Technology has been blamed for serious diaper rashes, likened by some parents on Facebook to chemical burns. The lawsuits, filed in mid-May 2010, follow the announcements of Health Canada and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission that they're investigating parents' claims"
  • We've only tried Target Up & Up before now and I'm not seeing anything similar... plus she breaks out severely from her cloth diapers.... do you think it's a coincidence? (That TRUELY isn't meant to be snarky!!!!)  :)>-
    Me - J.R. - 05/1986
    DH - J.I. - 08/1986
    Married - 09/22/2006
    DD#1 - A.E. - 12/15/2009
    DD#2 - N.R. - 11/07/2011
    DD#3 - S.R. - 05/20/2013
      DS - R.E. - 10/03/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"